Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're buying our first EV and have settled on the Nissan Leaf. We found a very nice condition tekna in a great metalic blue with chrome fittings, it's a 15 reg so just out of warranty and has 43k miles on the clock. It can do about 90 miles on a full battery.
Yesterday we found a 2017 tekna (66 reg) with 2 year warranty left on the battery. It's the fire engine red model and is ex rental with 26k miles on the clock. Now we can't decide. Should we stay clear of the ex rental or is it potentially a better car which would last us longer.
Finally we are now wondering whether it's worth looking for a 30kwh Acenta. Both Teknas are 24. We don't necessarily need the bigger range but I guess it's always a good thing. W read somewhere that the 30kwh degrades faster?
We've only ever owned 2nd hand petrol cars before, which have been a lot cheaper to buy!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’d also take the 30kWh version, there is a software fix to solve the issue whereby they seemed to degrade faster. The extra range is well worth it IMO. Also worth factoring in that the 2015 is probably at 86/87% SOH so will lose its first battery bar soon, which will devalue it more quickly.

FWIW you’ll rarely get 90 miles out of the 24kWh, MAYBE I’m the summer driving around towns at 30mph. But driving at faster speeds you really want to figure it will be closer to 60 miles in winter. Just in-case you’re relying on that 90 mile figure!

Have a 2015 24kWh Tekna, love it and would highly recommend the Leaf, but only if the real range fits your needs.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
I’d also take the 30kWh version, there is a software fix to solve the issue whereby they seemed to degrade faster. The extra range is well worth it IMO. Also worth factoring in that the 2015 is probably at 86/87% SOH so will lose its first battery bar soon, which will devalue it more quickly.

FWIW you’ll rarely get 90 miles out of the 24kWh, MAYBE I’m the summer driving around towns at 30mph. But driving at faster speeds you really want to figure it will be closer to 60 miles in winter. Just in-case you’re relying on that 90 mile figure!

Have a 2015 24kWh Tekna, love it and would highly recommend the Leaf, but only if the real range fits your needs.
I've done 105 miles till low battery warning in Summer and 90+ in winter until VLBW in Winter in Leaf30 with mostly motorway miles

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
30kWh has a longer range, faster rapid charging, longer warrranty, and newer battery chemistry that doesn't degrade as quickly as some of the earlier cars. (What you read about faster degradation no longer applies. There was a software update to fix this)

As has been mentioned above, you really won't be getting a real world 90 miles from the 24kWh. You had to be careful to achieve that even when it was new, never mind today with a bit of degradation.

Ex-rental is fine imo. Especially with an EV. The only thing I would say is depending on what rental place its come from, be sure that the battery is still healthy. Some of the companies had a policy to leave the cars on charge at all times when not used. In some cases that meant cars sitting for over a week at a time with a full battery which definitely contributes to wearing out the battery quicker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the reply, it's very helpful. We haven't tried an Acenta yet even though it's the one we earmarked initially. Is there a big difference in comfort between it and the tekna? We're upgrading from a Peugeot 17 so the tekna felt amazing and the children loved the back seats too. With the Acenta, does it do the defrosting in the morning like the tekna but without the heated seats? Is it really worth forking out for a tekna as we weren't planning on spending that much?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
We use climate control timer in winter with our Acenta.
What you miss out is 17" wheels, heated seats and heated steering wheel. Oh and 360 camera I think

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Also the 30kwh leaf has an 8yr/100k warranty on the battery.
Personally as above the 30kwh is always the better one and being newer slightly better infotainment setup, and better residuals

·
Registered
21 Posts
What you miss out is 17" wheels, heated seats and heated steering wheel. Oh and 360 camera I think
The big one for me is no leather seats in the Acenta right? I think leather gives the car a much more premium feel, is easier to clean and I feel doesn't soak in odours like cloth so older cars can still smell fairly fresh.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
The big one for me is no leather seats in the Acenta right? I think leather gives the car a much more premium feel, is easier to clean and I feel doesn't soak in odours like cloth so older cars can still smell fairly fresh.
I don't know. I think Acenta ones aren't bad. You could always look for Tekna 30 if you want bells and whistles

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
What's your max budget? Get the best you can for that amount.

·
Super Moderator
11,994 Posts
Tekna includes the Bose sound system. Speakers, amp and tuned subwoofer. It is better but depends on what you listen to.

Only downside is the subwoofer takes up space in the boot. We didn't care but some people find it annoying.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
918 Posts
Another endorsement for the Tekna 30 from me. We’ve had both, and the 24 lasted just six months. It’s OK for pottering to the shops, but if you want to go out of range, it’s really not the answer.
The heated seats are NOT a luxury. They are more effective than the space heater, and use less power. Winter range is restricted enough by the cold without adding to the problem!

·
Super Moderator
11,994 Posts
The seat heaters can help a bit with range vs. Acenta.

If you are doing a lot of short trips where the car gets cold between them, the seat heaters make a big difference. On long trips it is only a couple of miles becuase the heater doesn't use much power once the car is warm.

The rear seat heater is not very good. Never worked in our 30 and I couldn't be bothered to take it in for repair.

It did work in the 24 after a warranty repair. They forgot to plug it in at the factory!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went through the same choices when buying my Leaf a few weeks ago. I decided on a 30kWh Tekna for the extra mileage and the few comfort extras in the car.
I used Jonathan Porterfield at Eco Cars .net to help me source a car once I had decided on the model I wanted.

·
Registered
943 Posts
With a 2015 24kWh Tekna you might just manage 90 miles in the middle of summer if you draft a truck - I did it once.

I'd definitely go with the 30kWh Acenta. 30kWh battery has better rapid charge performance than the 24, and all else being equal a larger battery will degrade less than a smaller one (fewer charge cycles for any given usage).

The really big deal, however, is that tyres for the Tekna are literally TWICE the price of tyres for the Acenta. The 17" size (215/50) isn't desperately common and is expensive. We paid £460 for a set of 4 Michelin Crossclimate+ for the Tekna, and that was on one of Costco's michelin deals. A friend of mine paid £230 for a set of Primacy 4s for his Acenta on a similar costco deal. Since tyres on a leaf last approx 20-25k miles we'll say 23k miles to make the maths simple - Acenta is 1p/mile on tyres, Tekna is 2p/mile. This is pretty significant when you're looking at 2-3p/mile on E7 and 4p/mile on regular domestic electricity as your "fuel" cost.

The Bose sound system in the Tekna is pretty awful (I say that as a recovering audiophile, former amplifier designer and by comparison to sound systems in Volvo, Lexus and Tesla cars as well as many high-end home systems) and the "sub" in the boot is just annoying in how it takes up space. 360cam is kind of nice, LED headlamps are good compared to the poor Acenta headlamps. The "Leather" really isn't, but heated seats are a must for me (Acenta with the rare heated seat pack is the best Leaf spec in my mind), although with cloth seats they're probably less critical. I didn't like the heated steering wheel (it got too hot, made my hands sweat, then turned itself off for many minutes and wouldn't come back on, so my then-sweaty hands would freeze. Good for taking the chill off the wheel when pre-conditioning, but unpleasant to use while driving).

So, for my money a 30kWh Acenta and live without the heated seats. If you can find one with, GET IT.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
With a 2015 24kWh Tekna you might just manage 90 miles in the middle of summer if you draft a truck - I did it once.

I'd definitely go with the 30kWh Acenta. 30kWh battery has better rapid charge performance than the 24, and all else being equal a larger battery will degrade less than a smaller one (fewer charge cycles for any given usage).

The really big deal, however, is that tyres for the Tekna are literally TWICE the price of tyres for the Acenta. The 17" size (215/50) isn't desperately common and is expensive. We paid £460 for a set of 4 Michelin Crossclimate+ for the Tekna, and that was on one of Costco's michelin deals. A friend of mine paid £230 for a set of Primacy 4s for his Acenta on a similar costco deal. Since tyres on a leaf last approx 20-25k miles we'll say 23k miles to make the maths simple - Acenta is 1p/mile on tyres, Tekna is 2p/mile. This is pretty significant when you're looking at 2-3p/mile on E7 and 4p/mile on regular domestic electricity as your "fuel" cost.

The Bose sound system in the Tekna is pretty awful (I say that as a recovering audiophile, former amplifier designer and by comparison to sound systems in Volvo, Lexus and Tesla cars as well as many high-end home systems) and the "sub" in the boot is just annoying in how it takes up space. 360cam is kind of nice, LED headlamps are good compared to the poor Acenta headlamps. The "Leather" really isn't, but heated seats are a must for me (Acenta with the rare heated seat pack is the best Leaf spec in my mind), although with cloth seats they're probably less critical. I didn't like the heated steering wheel (it got too hot, made my hands sweat, then turned itself off for many minutes and wouldn't come back on, so my then-sweaty hands would freeze. Good for taking the chill off the wheel when pre-conditioning, but unpleasant to use while driving).

So, for my money a 30kWh Acenta and live without the heated seats. If you can find one with, GET IT.

You cant compare those tyre prices, they are not the same tyre so a bit off the mark...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts