Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have posted in the Zoe section as that was one of the top contenders for us but I thought I'd try to reach a wider audience here too...

We own a Pharmacy and are looking to buy a delivery vehicle as our delivery service has exploded during covid. We used to manage the <10 deliveries a day with our personal cars (petrol golf and my 520d) but the last month we averaged 26-30 drops per day and it is rising rapidly making it uneconomical and just not sensible to be using either of the above 2, especially the 520d. The 520d won't be replaced any time soon as I still have long commutes most days.

I guess our requirements are

At least 60miles daily range, preferably double this in case our driver doesn't plug it in overnight

Not too large, something Zoe/leaf/golf sized

Reliable!

Not too expensive on monthly lease

I understand the e-golf is being phased out and bring replaced by the 'id' range? May be some good deals on the outgoing model

Any tips and advice for an ev newbie would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
154 Posts
If your leasing then any EV I can think of is capable of 60 miles a day and assuming your delivery driving is at a low average speed like 30-40 mph where unlike ICE cars EVs efficiency is better I'd imagine most if not all would do 120 miles.

From my own research and speaking to owners I think the Zoe is probably the most unreliable EV having said that it's probably the most reliable Renault, generally speaking EVs are pretty good when it comes to reliability.

The Skoda Citigo could be a cheaper option especially as you don't need the rapid charging version the boot is small but I guess that's fine for your purposes.

I'd also consider purchasing a 30kwh leaf for around 10-12k (100 summer range and 75 winter) and just make sure it gets plugged in every night and if it doesn't fall back on the ice cars.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If the Zoe’s big enough for you, they’re ridiculously cheap at the mo. About £2,500 a year including VAT with decent mileage.

Range is up to 250 miles.

Have a search on www.leasing.com

·
Registered
474 Posts
They do seem very cheap just now. Just reassure me, that includes the battery?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
There are good leading deals on the eGolf as well. Much nicer car than the Zoe but less range.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The mileage could make a lease expensive though 60 a day 5 days a week 52 weeks a year is over 15k a year.

Left field choice, a smart electric would just about manage 60 miles a day, could be a little touch and go in winter. Having a quick look at prices these are around £1000-2000 cheaper than the next cheapest option over the term of the lease, as the mileage goes up this difference tends to get bigger. Careful research would be needed to see if it would have enough range for your needs though.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
Just reassure me, that includes the battery?
You're very wise to ask about the battery lease. A new thread in a couple of weeks, hopefully, to tell my post Covid tale.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You're very wise to ask about the battery lease. A new thread in a couple of weeks, hopefully, to tell my post Covid tale.
Just so as not to confuse the OP, all new Zoe 50s sold in the UK now include the battery.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
Just so as not to confuse the OP, all new Zoe 50s sold in the UK now include the battery.
Oh yes. Not dissing the Zoe. In fact I would strongly recommend it. I've had 2 and only switched to the MG because I fancied a change.

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
349 Posts
To throw a spanner in the works, in my book the higher mileage you do the more you should get an EV.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the replies, seems to be a very friendly forum!

Winter performance is a concern as inevitably this is when we will expect greater strain on our delivery service.

I am toying with the idea of the leaf e+,

·
Super Moderator
6,302 Posts

Winter performance is a concern as inevitably this is when we will expect greater strain on our delivery service.

i have had quotes for N-tec LEAF + of under £30k
Edited as I have fat fingers

·
Registered
4,473 Posts

One thing to consider is where your nearest dealers for the different cars are and how convenient travel to them is.
While EVs are mostly reliable they are, like all modern cars, complex and the occasional visits will be needed. Local garages are unlikely to be able to deal with them for some years yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Honestly if the most range you need is 60 miles a day then the e+ would be overkill, check out https://ev-database.uk they give stats for all cars with winter and summer ranges in city, motorway (highway) and combined driving conditions.

A 40 kWh leaf for example has a motorway winter range of 95 miles but city driving gets 130.

It might be an idea to try and hire an EV and try it for a month or so this will give you a good idea of what you need range wise.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One thing to consider is where your nearest dealers for the different cars are and how convenient travel to them is.
While EVs are mostly reliable they are, like all modern cars, complex and the occasional visits will be needed. Local garages are unlikely to be able to deal with them for some years yet.
Very good point, we'd have gotten a Zoe as our second car years ago but the local Renault dealer in Hull is pretty bad with ICE cars but apparently is useless with EVs, every local owner I've spoke to loves the Zoe but would never get another due to this dealer.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
At least 60miles daily range, preferably double this in case our driver doesn't plug it in overnight
A 40 kWh leaf for example has a motorway winter range of 95 miles but city driving gets 130.
That's a bit tight.
And Murphy says that they'll get a busy February day and do 80 miles, the driver is whacked after a long day and forgets to plug it in, and the next day is another long one ...
Planning to run from 100% to near 0 is not great, so having 30% spare capacity (~60kWh) is never a bad thing - if you can afford the upfront/lease cost.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts