Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Passat GTE - On order
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I have been looking at the forum for a while developed a picture but I thought I would ask.

i do a 13 mile trip to work, 5.8mile on A road rest in city centre slow moving traffic and 13 mile back, occasional 40mile journey motorway and city.

read about the EV range and just wondered in real world would in benefit me? It’s either one of these or a Volvo S60 petrol!

also I little concerned about power delivery and if it’s quick enough?

be great full for any feedback on this?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hey so I have been looking at the forum for a while developed a picture but I thought I would ask.

i do a 13 mile trip to work, 5.8mile on A road rest in city centre slow moving traffic and 13 mile back, occasional 40mile journey motorway and city.

read about the EV range and just wondered in real world would in benefit me? It’s either one of these or a Volvo S60 petrol!

Thanks
Assuming you leave home fully charged and cannot recharge at work you will be pushing it to do the whole journey on electric - for maximum fun I would put it in GTE mode for the A roads and electric for the city roads.

For your 26 mile journey you should be somewhere over 200 - 250 mpg, for your 40 mile journey I would expect over 100 mpg.

As to whether it is fun I would say (based on my Golf GTE) yes, definitely. Overall it is a very nice package.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I get around 25 miles on a warm summers day and around 12 miles in the cold British winter for my 2016 Passat GTE.
GTE mode on A roads is great fun and has plenty of instant oomph in electric or GTE mode - though it depends on what you are used to. My previous car was an S-Max so not at all sporty but ok to drive. The GTE is way more fun than that. It's a really nice refined car but it's no sports car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been use to fairly quickish cars had my fair share of VW CC, Passat, Jag XE, BMW 220d. Prep’d for a little drop in performance but not sure the electric range makes it worth it then on real world figures 25 & 12

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
The GTE would be far better than the S60 - the slush boxes on those are DIRE.

Reactions: Chiefy

·
Registered
2016 Golf GTE, over 100k miles, full vw service history, new hybrid battery in 2021
26 Posts

Thanks
Assuming you leave home fully charged and cannot recharge at work you will be pushing it to do the whole journey on electric - for maximum fun I would put it in GTE mode for the A roads and electric for the city roads.

For your 26 mile journey you should be somewhere over 200 - 250 mpg, for your 40 mile journey I would expect over 100 mpg.

As to whether it is fun I would say (based on my Golf GTE) yes, definitely. Overall it is a very nice package.
Hi, could also try all electric one way and hybrid the other? The Gte mode is great fun, I only use it in short burst as I’ve noticed it does use a fair amount of petrol with ‘spirited’ driving. I’ve not done any long drives on the motorway so I have not used the battery charge function properly, I did try it on my short 10 mile commute to work (all B roads) and only got a few extra miles into the battery at the expense of using about £5 (very approx) worth of petrol, but it might be more economical on a long motorway run.

I’ve only owned my Gte for a few months, and can just about get to work and back (20 miles) on fully electric, it’s all B roads with a few hills, at first I drove like a granny to try and get the economy up but found that it didn’t make much of a difference from normal driving, In fact sometimes driving faster (within the speed limits) got the economy up a little too, as the car coasts more.

The Gte is definitely one of the more fun hybrid cars to drive, get one with a full service history and warranty and just drive it normally and enjoy it.

All the best

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, could also try all electric one way and hybrid the other? The Gte mode is great fun, I only use it in short burst as I’ve noticed it does use a fair amount of petrol with ‘spirited’ driving. I’ve not done any long drives on the motorway so I have not used the battery charge function properly, I did try it on my short 10 mile commute to work (all B roads) and only got a few extra miles into the battery at the expense of using about £5 (very approx) worth of petrol, but it might be more economical on a long motorway run.

I’ve only owned my Gte for a few months, and can just about get to work and back (20 miles) on fully electric, it’s all B roads with a few hills, at first I drove like a granny to try and get the economy up but found that it didn’t make much of a difference from normal driving, In fact sometimes driving faster (within the speed limits) got the economy up a little too, as the car coasts more.

The Gte is definitely one of the more fun hybrid cars to drive, get one with a full service history and warranty and just drive it normally and enjoy it.

All the best
It just doesn’t sound much use if I’m honest, the real world mileage on EV is horrendous compared to the claimed. The idea of getting to work and back on EV was what appealed but that doesn’t look possible. So then is it worth the extra hassle and lack of performance? I’m not sure it is which is a shame. Perhaps I’ll leave the EV boat alone until after my next car and hopefully a little more development

I’m so glad I found this forum and asked before purchasing, nearly put a deposit down last week glad I didn’t

·
Registered
2016 Golf GTE, over 100k miles, full vw service history, new hybrid battery in 2021
26 Posts
It just doesn’t sound much use if I’m honest, the real world mileage on EV is horrendous compared to the claimed. The idea of getting to work and back on EV was what appealed but that doesn’t look possible. So then is it worth the extra hassle and lack of performance? I’m not sure it is which is a shame. Perhaps I’ll leave the EV boat alone until after my next car and hopefully a little more development

I’m so glad I found this forum and asked before purchasing, nearly put a deposit down last week glad I didn’t
Fair enough, it is still a fun car to drive and if you are considering ‘sticking’ with a regular petrol/diesel car I’d say still consider the Gte, if you get one with a full service history with nice low miles and at least a years warranty you shouldn’t lose too much come a year or two’s time if you trade it in, there may also be an option to get a genuine extended vw warranty which from memory was around £300 for peace of mind, unfortunately my car has done over 100k miles so didn’t qualify, but I am planning on keeping it a year or two although I’ve had it nearly 3 months and it still puts a smile on my face so may keep it longer.

Did you test drive the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fair enough, it is still a fun car to drive and if you are considering ‘sticking’ with a regular petrol/diesel car I’d say still consider the Gte, if you get one with a full service history with nice low miles and at least a years warranty you shouldn’t lose too much come a year or two’s time if you trade it in, there may also be an option to get a genuine extended vw warranty which from memory was around £300 for peace of mind, unfortunately my car has done over 100k miles so didn’t qualify, but I am planning on keeping it a year or two although I’ve had it nearly 3 months and it still puts a smile on my face so may keep it longer.

Did you test drive the car?
test drive the golf GTE, looking at a 2018 GTE Advanced with 11k on the clock 2 year warranty, 2 year MOT cover and 2 year road side. Was hoping to save a load to offset the loss in performance

·
Registered
26 Posts
test drive the golf GTE, looking at a 2018 GTE Advanced with 11k on the clock 2 year warranty, 2 year MOT cover and 2 year road side. Was hoping to save a load to offset the loss in performance
Safe to say your covered for two years. Would you get a home charger installed too, do you have one at work?

I live very near a supermarket that has free charging and although not ideal I often use the ‘granny charger’ at home on an extension lead to top the car up.

The Gte is good compromise between performance and economy and no issues with range anxiety too, have you considered an e-golf?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

All the best
Electric followed by hybrid is another option - main thing for me is to always aim to arrive home with zero electric range remaining to get the most out of it.

I would avoid battery charge mode - it will absolutely hammer your fuel consumption for little gain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Safe to say your covered for two years. Would you get a home charger installed too, do you have one at work?

I live very near a supermarket that has free charging and although not ideal I often use the ‘granny charger’ at home on an extension lead to top the car up.

The Gte is good compromise between performance and economy and no issues with range anxiety too, have you considered an e-golf?
Golf isn't big enough, I got 3 kids. I can get a charger at home and use the granny charger at work more than likely. Just concerns me if it will become just a small petrol car dragging massive batteries around. The EV mileage is poor compare to what is claimed

·
Registered
31 Posts
If half of your commute is slow moving city traffic using regeneration I would think you'll manage it all electric. I have a golf gte and do 12 miles to work all on B roads and as long as I keep to around 55mph and no hard accelerating , I can get back home with a mile or 2 to spare, in summer anyway. In winter I need a small top up charge to keep it electric the full daily 24 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If half of your commute is slow moving city traffic using regeneration I would think you'll manage it all electric. I have a golf gte and do 12 miles to work all on B roads and as long as I keep to around 55mph and no hard accelerating , I can get back home with a mile or 2 to spare, in summer anyway. In winter I need a small top up charge to keep it electric the full daily 24 miles.
I have continued reading and looking at feedback from people with GTE's, as i should be able to charge at home and at work I am going to make the jump i think and give it a go, I am sure i can make it work out for me

the warranty cover and road side assistance have swung it as well, although some people havent been complimentary about VW and their service

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have continued reading and looking at feedback from people with GTE's, as i should be able to charge at home and at work I am going to make the jump i think and give it a go, I am sure i can make it work out for me

the warranty cover and road side assistance have swung it as well, although some people havent been complimentary about VW and their service
Its ideal if you charge both ends, during the summer months you'll probably like me have free motoring too and from work and on winter it's just small top up at home. Plus you can pre heat if its plugged in at home, nothing better than getting into a defrosted heated car on a cold winter morning

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its ideal if you charge both ends, during the summer months you'll probably like me have free motoring too and from work and on winter it's just small top up at home. Plus you can pre heat if its plugged in at home, nothing better than getting into a defrosted heated car on a cold winter morning
According to a comparison site, i would save £1200 on fuel compared to the Volvo in a year! Even if its half of that I would be chuffed! If the performance doesnt do it for me I will just get a bike again, Ducati lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
According to a comparison site, i would save £1200 on fuel compared to the Volvo in a year! Even if its half of that I would be chuffed! If the performance doesnt do it for me I will just get a bike again, Ducati lol
I had a 340 bhp bmw 135i before the GTE and that was my one concern, I'd miss the power but I really don't.....or very rarely lol
The DSG gearbox in the GTE Is great. Get on a twisty B road press the GTE button and enjoy using some petrol after saving a fortune ( and a few polar bears ) during the week.

·
TittersVW
29 Posts
I love the performance in GTE mode I have a 2018 passat with a remap adding around another 40bhp quite safely and it puts a smile on my face and I used to drive an impreza STI so 😀 but I also love driving around town and local places all on EV too 👍🏻

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love the performance in GTE mode I have a 2018 passat with a remap adding around another 40bhp quite safely and it puts a smile on my face and I used to drive an impreza STI so 😀 but I also love driving around town and local places all on EV too 👍🏻
I’m getting a 2018 advance, paid deposit on it today after seeing the feedback on here and other threads/websites

glad to see some many people save it still has a turn of pace

1 - 20 of 29 Posts