Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am on the verge of buying my first EV and I feel settled on a Leaf 30, probably Acenta model. I’m about to complete this week at a dealership on a late 17 model with 9k on clock. (Total of £13,750)

I’m very worried about the state of the battery etc as I’ve read some horror stories and especially as I intend to own this car for a long time and not just return after a pcp etc. I don’t really understand what I’m looking for on the following screenshots either.

I would real my appreciate some help and advice on the attached leafspy lite screenshots.

I’m happy to buy this car (from Nissan dealership) if it all looks good, but equally I’m happy to wait and look about if it’s likely I could find a battery in better condition.

Also any other advice on how best to take care of the battery from this stage on would be so appreciated 🙏

Thank you in advance 👍
4C9147EB-2715-4406-85B8-9E4FF6FC3A3B.jpeg

5B0EEAEC-CCA8-4FE0-B395-2F31259B23C6.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Dave, that’s encouraging. I was a bit worried by the amount of quickcharges, as people seem to say these are bad for the battery(?), and also the AHr, as someone told me it should be around 80-81.

What is the 6A/6B firmware? I think the dealership are making sure all software etc is up to date before I collect. Is there anything specific I should ask them?

Thanks again

QUOTE="Hermit Dave, post: 2746510, member: 73206"]
Looks in great condition. Looks like this Leaf is on 6A / 6B firmware for HV battery.

Not a bad price

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a June registered 2017 30kwh leaf in July but did not check the SOH until I had purchased it. It read 97% which I was pleased with. However 4 weeks later this had dropped to 93% and has settled here which is still ok I think. Interestingly the salesman said at the time that they would 'reset' the car for me before purchase. I didn't ask him to elaborate as it was a Nissan dealership and I assumed they would follow the recommended used-car preparations. I do wonder if this reset was a BMS reset causing an artificially high SOH but I'm not dwelling on it, since the range I'm getting seems in line with others. I understand that the SOH can vary a few % anyway.

You asked about battery care; the consistent advice I see on this is to try and minimise the time it sits fully charged. Enjoy, sounds like a good buy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Tim I appreciate the input 👍

I bought a June registered 2017 30kwh leaf in July but did not check the SOH until I had purchased it. It read 97% which I was pleased with. However 4 weeks later this had dropped to 93% and has settled here which is still ok I think. Interestingly the salesman said at the time that they would 'reset' the car for me before purchase. I didn't ask him to elaborate as it was a Nissan dealership and I assumed they would follow the recommended used-car preparations. I do wonder if this reset was a BMS reset causing an artificially high SOH but I'm not dwelling on it, since the range I'm getting seems in line with others. I understand that the SOH can vary a few % anyway.

You asked about battery care; the consistent advice I see on this is to try and minimise the time it sits fully charged. Enjoy, sounds like a good buy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an April 2017 30 tekna. My battery % has dropped a couple of points but have not noticed any difference in range. Have a look at EVM vlogs on YT he has just done a 50K review of his leaf and is showing 93% SOH and he has not noticed any large range reduction.
Charge to 80% if you dont need 100%. I charge every couple of days and set timer for 3-4 hour charge which gives me 30-40% (3.6 on board charger)
Get a 7kW charger via the OLEV grant if you have off street parking or garage.
Zapmap is a must. Check what rapids your likely to use and download and register with them.
Lots of info on this forum any questions just ask.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much dm57, i really appreciate the advice. Buying a second hand leaf is definitely a bit more anxiety inducing than I expected! Seems like a lot of negativity floating around about them and a lot of mixed msgs regarding the batteries/degradation/charging etc. Will check out that OLEV grant, is it much better than charging from a 3 pin house plug??

cheers

I have an April 2017 30 tekna. My battery % has dropped a couple of points but have not noticed any difference in range. Have a look at EVM vlogs on YT he has just done a 50K review of his leaf and is showing 93% SOH and he has not noticed any large range reduction.
Charge to 80% if you dont need 100%. I charge every couple of days and set timer for 3-4 hour charge which gives me 30-40% (3.6 on board charger)
Get a 7kW charger via the OLEV grant if you have off street parking or garage.
Zapmap is a must. Check what rapids your likely to use and download and register with them.
Lots of info on this forum any questions just ask.
nks

·
Registered
117 Posts
The OLEV grant does not usually cover the total cost. When negotiating with the dealers, try to get them to include the balance as part of your deal.

When I bought my used 30, I got them to include the total cost of the install, a commitment to assist me with VOSA registration of my tow-hitch and a new updated sd card for the maps.
They are wriggling like fish on a hook over the maps, but they have paid for my install (about£1200 on top of the grant - 100mtrs from mains box to garage) I haven't done much with the tow-hitch yet.
The 7kw is not just good for your leaf, you can regard it as an investment for your property, that may help to mitigate the cost aspect in your mind. Think of it like a satellite dish or fibre connection or mains gas connection, a great sales asset when you go to sell your property.
Be careful of the installers though-they will try to get away with the cheaper 3kw cable run, you MUST insist on a 30amp supply which has to come directly from the incoming mains supply box in your house. Go for a socket rather than the tethered cable version if you can, and get them to include a cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts