Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone help? I got my new ID3 last week and charge at home. However to see how public chargers work, I've tried twice to add just a few kw of energy, taking the car from 76% on both ocassions to 80 %. In other words minimal additions to the range. For this, I note Shell charged me £30 on my credit card, and Osprey £10, making the cost per miles sky high and many more times the cost of petrol or diesel. Would anyone be able to explain this? Btw, the Osprey charger told me the total cost was something like £1.40 ( not £10) . Thanks in advance, Steve

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
143 Posts
They are pre authorisation charges to ensure you have enough credit to cover the cost of the charge. They will be refunded once Shell and Osprey notify your bank of the actual billed amount.

Same thing happens at unmanned petrol stations at the likes of Asda, but is usually refunded before most people notice. The petrol stations are being forced by MasterCard and Visa to pre authorise £100 pounds in the near future, if not already.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
2,416 Posts
Didn't you get a breakdown of the cost of the charge?

Some companies have deposit remaining in your account, I am only registered with one company and they started with £10, say my charge cost £6 and I only £4 in my account, they will transfer £10 from my bank, that will top up my deposit to £14 minus £6 for the charge. Leaving £8.

I don't know if I made sense.

But £30 don't seem right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are pre authorisation charges to ensure you have enough credit to cover the cost of the charge. They will be refunded once Shell and Osprey notify your bank of the actual billed amount.

Same thing happens at unmanned petrol stations at the likes of Asda, but is usually refunded before most people notice. The petrol stations are being forced by MasterCard and Visa to pre authorise £100 pounds in the near future, if not already.
Many thanks for that. On both ocassions

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for your replies. I've just double checked my on line banking app and both are now correct. I'm certain therefore that you were right. Coincidentally on a radio 4 consumer programme I heard the very same matter ( pre authorization issues) bring discussed. Thanks once again everyone. Appreciated .

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
644 Posts
If you plan on using certain companies (bp, shell, InstaVolt etc) I find it best to set up an account with them with a set amount of money and charge using either the app or rfid card. This way they’ll only debit the actual amount you use, and not a huge lump sum if using contactless etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts