Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently undertaking a Business Studies course and I am completing a mini dissertation. The title is Electric cars vs Petrol cars and which is more environmentally friendly? I am trying to gain a balance view of both points of view. I would appreciate it, if you can give me your thoughts on this topic? I would like to run this for the next 48 hrs. Any information shared will be anonymised. I thank you in advance.
Thanks Lloyd

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
555 Posts
Hello Lloyd. In my view, why don't you go for the facts, rather than views? The facts show that electric cars are more friendly. Of course, you can't beat walking/cycling etc.

Also, did you know cobalt is used to remove the sulphur from petrol and diesel?

·
Registered
460 Posts
You thought that this topic will be easy, eh? Well, it isn't and many times people will leave out things, not out of ill intent, but because it's a large topic. Here's a start:

What the guy doesn't talk about is how much electricity is needed to explore for, extract and refine oil into petrol and diesel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
610 Posts
We get asked this type of question a lot. You could start by doing a search on the forum for "thesis" and see what has already been asked and the responses.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am currently undertaking a Business Studies course and I am completing a mini dissertation. The title is Electric cars vs Petrol cars and which is more environmentally friendly? I am trying to gain a balance view of both points of view. I would appreciate it, if you can give me your thoughts on this topic? I would like to run this for the next 48 hrs. Any information shared will be anonymised. I thank you in advance.
Thanks Lloyd
Isn't this already done? I mean, it's a scientific fact, whichever way you look at it, that EV is more environmental friendly than ICE (assuming the same milage and driving pattern). It's not something that can be changed by the armchair experts of this forum, regardless how many hard headed ICE lover you ask. Facts are facts, nothing will change those, so how do you conduct a study on something which is obvious facts? I mean' if you find that there is a majority opinion against EV, what does that prove other than that the number of "uninformed and ignorant" people are constant over the centuries, even with access to information like never before?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Views... There is only one which is based on science fact. Anyone arguing fossil fuel cars are more environmentally friendly than electric is just plain wrong.

EV’s are less environmentally friendly to produce, but the ongoing well to wheel carbon production of fossil fuel quickly means the initial carbon impact is negated.

Especially when the EV is charged in a country that has strong renewable energy production.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks Lloyd
Check this Guardian article and the one it links to if you've not seem them.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My electricity contract is 100% renewable. My 5 year old car still has no noticeable battery deterioration, and the batteries are guaranteed for 8 years to 80% capacity. Most people on this forum have similar clean electricity and experience of batteries staying healthy long after what is claimed by those who say that's significant pollution.

Cobalt is not running out, as the price evolution over the last 15 years makes obvious. There was a price spike when people started to think batteries were going to deplete the reserves, but it was speculation, and some mines have been closed since that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My electricity contract is 100% renewable.
This is a bit of a red herring.

The UK grid will always use as much wind and solar (and nuclear) as is available (see here for current state), because the energy is virtually free. However, this is rarely enough to meet demand, and the rest is made via gas, coal/biomass and imports. The same proportion of your electrons will have come from coal-fired power stations as anyone else's. So you could argue that any additional EVs that are added to the mix are entirely fossil-fuelled as all the renewables are already spoken for.

Supporting a supplier that only pays for renewable sources is laudable, but that's just shifting the theoretical allocation of the "dirty" energy onto other customers rather than reducing it overall. What the messaging of renewable contracts does do, of course, is encourage further investment in renewables — and progress over the last decade has been both astonishing and generally under-reported: see here.

To the OP: a really important consideration of the green-ness of EVs is the green-ness of the country's grid from which it is charged. As @Matt_E2008 said above, the EV is worse to produce but if charged from clean electricity, the difference is quickly offset. For example, Germany is heavily coal-sourced and France is heavily nuclear (which is a good thing from a CO2 point of view). Bit old now, but:

UK is somewhere in the middle: in 2016, the UK averaged about 270g/kWh. Last year, that figure was somewhat under 200g/kWh.

From a pure efficiency point of view, an EV uses roughly one-quarter of the energy of a good ICE vehicle to travel a given distance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks Lloyd
This book Electric Car Guide: 2016 Edition: Discover the truth about owning and using electric cars eBook: Michael Boxwell: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store has an initial set of considerations and calculations as a starter. Maybe use it as a basis and bring the data up-to-date ?

Its actually quite a challenge to get all the data you need for a full "well to wheel" comparison and there are a lot of variables.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,559 Posts
....Electric cars vs Petrol cars and which is more environmentally friendly? I am trying to gain a balance view of both points of view....
This should be an objective thing, not 'a point of view'.

But the area of greyness where subjectivity applies is your meaning of 'environmentally friendly'. You'll have to get past a definition of that before you get any sensible answers.

For example, if something has an effect at 1/1000th of the impact of something else, but lasts for 500 years whereas the other lasts for one year, which is worse?

There are about a zillion questions of that sort of nature, so you need to figure out what 'that' means first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts