Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
After I got quotes which involved clipping 27m of armoured cable around the outside of the house I did what was suggested in some of the posts. Got a local sparky to come along explained what I wanted and how i wanted it done. He went off and spec’d it up and came back with a quote.

I bought a Pod-Point S7 new and unused from ebay, he did that and a pile of other work with a separate new consumer unit in the garage and I forgot about the grant entirely.

In the end I got the job done the way I wanted with no cables on show (tucked into a dormer roof void in the back of the house). The entire cost was not dissimilar to the quotes I had including the grant. Like you I did what i could myself and made myself available for helping with cable runs to avoid him having to bring another person along.

Most of the surveys from enquiries with a few of the main OLEV suspects I had done came back with silly quotes not only that, they came with more caveats and get out clauses and that was without anyone actually turning up. Those that did turn up still had silly quotes and were not very accommodating on the cable routing.
did you get a 3 year guarantee with it?

·
Registered
215 Posts
On your original thread I mentioned it a few times.
It means there current clamp can work from your main incomer, now it will only work from your garage DB. Shouldn’t be a problem for now but if you were to every use more electricity in your garage and wanted a second charger it would be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
For the sake of continuity (if anyone with similar issues finds this thread in a search) this links to the installation of the charger itself.
Further update:

The EV arrived today, allowing me to test the installation discussed at length in this thread and the other one.

Unfortunately the Podpoint charger doesn't charge (a red light replaces the blue one after initial whirring noises from the unit.)
I turned it off/on then rang podpoint as fault recurred.
They did a remote upgrade to solve a known socket issue that the unit had reported to them. This firmware fix seemed to allow charging (green light on unit, car said "charging") but at a very slow rate (app said 2% per hour).
After ten minutes the charger's light went red and charging stopped.

Podpoint help lines are now closed...

I have resorted to the Granny-cable, which seems to be working OK.

I will contact podpoint again in the morning.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues now that you've got the car. Don't let these issues spoil your enjoyment of it!

It'll be interesting to know how this is resolved - and also how they actually completed the installation originally.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Further update:

The EV arrived today, allowing me to test the installation discussed at length in this thread and the other one.

Unfortunately the Podpoint charger doesn't charge (a red light replaces the blue one after initial whirring noises from the unit.)
I turned it off/on then rang podpoint as fault recurred.
They did a remote upgrade to solve a known socket issue that the unit had reported to them. This firmware fix seemed to allow charging (green light on unit, car said "charging") but at a very slow rate (app said 2% per hour).
After ten minutes the charger's light went red and charging stopped.

Podpoint help lines are now closed...

I have resorted to the Granny-cable, which seems to be working OK.

I will contact podpoint again in the morning.
Sounds like a CT clamp error

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Update:

Podpoint sent out one of their own engineers last Friday. He was unimpressed with the previous installation and confirmed what the knowledgeable folks in this thread had said (cable runs too long, causing big voltage drop when he plugged in his hybrid Outlander.)

Ultimately, he returned the next day and moved the charger to the near garage (he kindly swapped it to a tethered and lockable unit, as I'd hinted that I'd prefer this). He routed the power cable directly into the back of the unit, as was suggested in previous posts.

So far, it's working fine.

However, the smart meter that has just been installed confirms our power consumption will easily exceed 15kW if we aren't careful, so I've contacted Western Power and they are going to upgrade the main fuse from 60 to 80amps. They were very helpful and apparently there is no charge for this (though they haven't done the work yet...!)

So, I finally have a working EV which I can charge at Octopus Go low rate 0030-0430hrs.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice along the way; it was helpful and enlightening.

Interestingly, Podpoint contacted me asking that I register a formal complaint about this installation.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
He was unimpressed with the previous installation and confirmed what the knowledgeable folks in this thread had said (cable runs too long, causing big voltage drop
I'm slightly puzzled. On the previous page:
We decided to future proof as much as reasonable so he'll run 16mm out to garage 1
and there are pictures of all the trenching to do that (presumably).
How could a 16mm not be big enough for a paltry 32A? (your property just isn't that big.)

Interestingly, Podpoint contacted me asking that I register a formal complaint about this installation.
At a guess they want ammo to back-charge (financially) their expenses to the people who didn't do the job properly and needed them to come out and fix it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I'm slightly puzzled. On the previous page:
and there are pictures of all the trenching to do that (presumably).
How could a 16mm not be big enough for a paltry 32A? (your property just isn't that big.)

At a guess they want ammo to back-charge (financially) their expenses to the people who didn't do the job properly and needed them to come out and fix it.
The 16mm was to upgrade the paltry cabling to garage 1; garage 2 is fed by a smaller, armoured cable that has a long run from garage 1 around an area of hard-standing to a barn, then a further run to the garage where the charger was initially installed. I think this pic shows layout before cable to garage 1 was upgraded:

The new installation is on garage 1, which has the fat, new cable to its mini-CU.

As for the back-charge(financial)/complaint issue, you may be right. I have several friend/colleagues in the area who have all had a poor experience with Podpoint installations recently. They may be auditing the service?

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
The 16mm was to upgrade the paltry cabling to garage 1; garage 2 is fed by a smaller, armoured cable that gas a long run around an area of hard standing to a barn, then a further run to the garage where the charger was first installed.
OK. I must confess I didn't go back over the whole thread - I guess that was in there somewhere.

Gonna get digging again? :)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Hopefully that is the case or indeed if this is part of a pattern with a particular installer then they may choose to part ways. Without there being some consequences then there is little dis-incentive for people to carry on doing substandard work.

My sparky was not OLEV approved he sat down with me and listened to what i wanted and explained how it would work best and why. On top of that despite the fact he had only done a few EV installs be even he managed to fit the cable into my PODPOINT S7 in the back where the cutouts are already there, so there is no visible cable on the unit except for the big tethered one!

So given that one would hope that a PODPOINT/OLEV approved installer who likely does many of these, should know this, quite why they wouldn't do the job properly is beyond me.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts