Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I could do with a few ideas please.
My 10 year old daughters class have been doing science lessons lately with the subject of energy.
She made a simple PowerPoint about our solar panels and how we feed the electric car.

They've had quite a discussion in the classroom about traditional sources of energy and a little about alternative energy sources.
The teacher collared my on the yard to see if I would come in to talk about alternative energy :eek:

I'm really into renewables but living in a 1930's house the only thing I've invested in is the solar Pv.
If I were to be building new right now, I'd have the lot, ground source heat pump, pellet burner for hot water, rain water harvesting.
I don't really know much about any of that stuff though.

I'm being asked to take about 20 mins to talk about renewable energy sources, kind of listing what kinds of sources we have, and the pros and cons of each.

Any pointers would be much appreciated please :)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Companies like LightSource (http://www.lightsource-re.co.uk/) might be able to help with information on large scale solar.

They had an open day at our local Solar farm a couple of weeks ago. Not a lot to see really, but 24MWp worth of solar panels is an awful lot when you walk around them... Talking to the land owner the fields were pretty low yield for crops, so not a huge loss and they've seen a big increase in wildlife.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi,

I could do with a few ideas please.
My 10 year old daughters class have been doing science lessons lately with the subject of energy.
She made a simple PowerPoint about our solar panels and how we feed the electric car.

They've had quite a discussion in the classroom about traditional sources of energy and a little about alternative energy sources.
The teacher collared my on the yard to see if I would come in to talk about alternative energy :eek:

I'm really into renewables but living in a 1930's house the only thing I've invested in is the solar Pv.
If I were to be building new right now, I'd have the lot, ground source heat pump, pellet burner for hot water, rain water harvesting.
I don't really know much about any of that stuff though.

I'm being asked to take about 20 mins to talk about renewable energy sources, kind of listing what kinds of sources we have, and the pros and cons of each.

Any pointers would be much appreciated please :)

Why not run an experiment ? I seem to recall lighting up a small pea bulb using a lemon ? when they see there's potential energy in just about anything it might inspire them to carry out their own experiments with different items at home !

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ace , thanks for the replies. Lots of good stuff there

I'm looking at the links provided and will be signing up for the pod.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I made our water solar panels and had one spare, so coupled with a 20w PV solar panel, a 12v pump and a 20ltr plastic tank, and a few simple digialthermometers, we set it up at my primary school first thing and the kids took the temps and then at half hour intervals. Result was they could plot the temp rise over time and see how solar water heating actually works.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I made our water solar panels and had one spare, so coupled with a 20w PV solar panel, a 12v pump and a 20ltr plastic tank, and a few simple digialthermometers, we set it up at my primary school first thing and the kids took the temps and then at half hour intervals. Result was they could plot the temp rise over time and see how solar water heating actually works.
Wish you could show the folks who installed and serviced ours! :D

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If I can find a photo,I will upload it. If you are near to Ipswich/ Colchester then I still have the parts and happy to lend it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the offer Grumpy-b. Most generous of you. If I was a little closer I'd have taken you up on it. I'm in Cardiff though :(
It sounds like a brilliant bit of kit for the classroom.

The school has signed up to the join the pod site so thanks to Mark for that too.

I have my presentation on Wednesday so wish me luck. They're only 10 year olds. What can possibly go wrong?!?!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts