Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

EV n00b here looking for thread pointers, info, articles and general advice - even flames if I deserve them lol!

My commute is 40 miles round trip but occasionally [few times a year] I need to do a few trips of 75-80 miles.

I have spotted not far from me;

Nissan Leaf (2014) (24kWh) Acenta 5dr 36K miles just shy of 8K

The owner tells me...

The battery health is still at 12 bars, as for range at 30mph, you will get close to 100 miles from a full charge. I drive the car to work every day (50 miles away) on the motorway and have about 20% left when I get there. So probably 60 miles in motorway conditions.

Does this sound reasonable? ie around 65 miles at 70 mph?

I read from that accurate source Wikipedia

The official EPA range for the 2014 and 2015 model year Leaf, increased from 121 to 135 km (75 to 84 miles)

The 2014 Leaf is largely the same as the 2013 model year, except[30] for standard rearView monitor and updated EV-IT functionality with voice destination entry and SMS readout.

I guess like most newcomers I am concerned about range and battery life. Are there any 'Rules of Thumb' when it comes to those two factors?

Any help advice however blunt would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Oh, Happy New YEar!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
A Leaf 24 has a realistic range of 80 miles. In Winter the range would be sub 70.

12 bars is misleading - you need to use LeafSpy with OBD2 adapter to get precise SoH. First bar is lost when battery degradation drops below 85%.

It should be okay for 40 miles round trip and occasional longer journeys shouldn't be a major issue though you might need to rapid charge it for few mins

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave,

12 bars is misleading - you need to use LeafSpy with OBD2 adapter to get precise SoH. First bar is lost when battery degradation drops below 85%.

Recommend an OBD2 adapter / software? So potentially the battery could be at 86% and a week after I buy it go down to 11 bars? For £8K (pristine condition, recent MOT) do you think this is a good buy in any case?

Graham

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Thanks Dave,

Recommend an OBD2 adapter / software? So potentially the battery could be at 86% and a week after I buy it go down to 11 bars? For £8K (pristine condition, recent MOT) do you think this is a good buy in any case?

Graham
I have this adapter

I'd recommend similar but Bluetooth version as WiFi version requires mobile data to be disabled at times.

You can use LeafSpy Lite (free app on Google play)

You'll need to remember that the car is fully out of warranty at this point. Apart from that, as long as it meets your need.

I have a Leaf30 and it meets 95% plus if or usage needs. We do approximately 1800 miles a month driving kids around in 25 mile radius.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi cpcnw/Graham,
I use a Konnwei KW902 elm327 dongle, via bluetooth, works well using LeafSpyPro via my Samsung Galaxy J3.
The hilliness of your commute and of those longer journeys, also your driving style, and ambient temp & time of day, will affect range.
Eg, Knutsford services to Birch, 31 miles, mostly flat/gentle climbs, winter, uses 34-36%. Birch to Wakefield, short steep climbs, plenty long descents, 40miles and between 42-45% used. Waky to Birch however uses 52-56%. The 49 hilly miles between Waky and New Mills, eastbound with tailwind, 50%, but start from near sea level westbound into strong headwind, finish at 700ft, used 62%.
Learned to keep heat lowish 16-17c, aircon & recirc on, mostly in D but click to B to maximise regen on steep descents, esp where you're likely to have to come to a halt at the bottom.

It's all a learning curve, using hypermiling skills learned 50yrs ago on pedal bikes, Honda 50 step-thrus, 435cc Citroen 2CV.
Richard.
30kWh Leaf Acenta, 2016.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have previously looked a number of Nissan Leafs/Leaves 2nd hand, mainly 2012 - 2013 models and of much bigger concern than the battery life was the general overall condition of the cars on the market. One was at a Nissan dealer and two were at independents but all of them had gaps in their service history and all of them had had their front tyres replaced with Chinese ditchfinders. Given that the standard fit tyre isn't particularly expensive, this was surprising. Also they had all had some kind of bodywork damage, probably as a result of being used in urban environments, and none of them had been fixed particularly well.

I concluded from this that, in the cases of the cars I was looking at, they had been owned by people who were intent on running them on a shoestring budget. I know a Leaf service at Nissan is probably money for old rope but I simply can't understand why, in one case, somebody did their first service late and then never did another one for four years.

Others are better placed than me to talk about battery life and range (I am still to buy an EV) but please do also remember that those aspects aside, they are still second hand cars and absolutely the same rules about buying them apply as with ICE cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all replies so far! As as far as scanners go does the below work fine on iPhone with LeafSpy Free? At this point I think I would mostly be interested in battery SoH? Or are there other metrics I should really be checking?

Konnwei KW902 elm327 dongle via bluetooth using LeafSpyPro

Point also taken over general wear and tear. The vehicle I have been considering is on second owner and looks pristine with recent MOT and all 4 new tyres [albeit budget make]

·
Registered
950 Posts
I concluded from this that, in the cases of the cars I was looking at, they had been owned by people who were intent on running them on a shoestring budget. I know a Leaf service at Nissan is probably money for old rope but I simply can't understand why, in one case, somebody did their first service late and then never did another one for four years.
As EVs really do not need servicing, many do it to maintain the guarantee, you are unlikely to have car that is better if it has a full service history. The expensive bits are the drive train and no one can see a potential failure of a circuit board component. If you don't like the tyres, get them replaced.

Did the service after 4 years find anything to be done?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Konnwei KW902 elm327 BT version not supported on iPhone - found out after it arrived then scrolled down the extra info! - Doh!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Guys,

EV n00b here looking for thread pointers, info, articles and general advice - even flames if I deserve them lol!

My commute is 40 miles round trip but occasionally [few times a year] I need to do a few trips of 75-80 miles.

I have spotted not far from me;

Nissan Leaf (2014) (24kWh) Acenta 5dr 36K miles just shy of 8K

The owner tells me...

The battery health is still at 12 bars, as for range at 30mph, you will get close to 100 miles from a full charge. I drive the car to work every day (50 miles away) on the motorway and have about 20% left when I get there. So probably 60 miles in motorway conditions.

Does this sound reasonable? ie around 65 miles at 70 mph?

I read from that accurate source Wikipedia

The official EPA range for the 2014 and 2015 model year Leaf, increased from 121 to 135 km (75 to 84 miles)

The 2014 Leaf is largely the same as the 2013 model year, except[30] for standard rearView monitor and updated EV-IT functionality with voice destination entry and SMS readout.

I guess like most newcomers I am concerned about range and battery life. Are there any 'Rules of Thumb' when it comes to those two factors?

Any help advice however blunt would be really appreciated!

Cheers!

Oh, Happy New YEar!

I'm also looking at buying a 2014 Leaf. There's one via a deal er near me, one owner and low mileage (although I believe this is less important than battery. The question I'm wondering is can the dealer give me a SOH? I have a report saying it's 82% battery but it doest give details - or do I need to get Leaf spy and check with that?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm also looking at buying a 2014 Leaf. There's one via a deal er near me, one owner and low mileage (although I believe this is less important than battery. The question I'm wondering is can the dealer give me a SOH? I have a report saying it's 82% battery but it doest give details - or do I need to get Leaf spy and check with that?
You need Leaf Spy abs OBD2 adapter to check SoH.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Piccolapie I have the OBD2 adapter mentioned in comment #5 if you are interested and have android phone?

Been told LeafSpy Lite [Free] version is fine for basics including battery SOH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there anything else to look out for in leaf spy besides the overall battery health? One I've seen today seems to show a number of cells in red but I'm not sure if this is an issue or not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look at the number of QC and L1 charges. A very high number of QC's may not be such a good thing...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know - someone else here should be able to help out. My Leaf only has 7. I don't think they are bad occasionally but are if permanently used.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is there anything else to look out for in leaf spy besides the overall battery health? One I've seen today seems to show a number of cells in red but I'm not sure if this is an issue or not?
Cells in red are simply the state of cell balance - my battery usually shows many cells in red. If the cells are shown to be very markedly different heights that would indicate some cells have a much higher voltage than others and that might be a concern.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts