Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Help me out so i may get some sleep tonight

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Wardy123 
#1 ·
Hello all, just joined the forum and hoping for some Peice of mind, my daughter has just brought a MG ZS EV, full electric car 70 plate so pics it up next Tuesday. My only concern is it states 164 miles per full charge thats fine as her work is 40 / 45 miles round trip and will be charged each night at home, and at work there are 2 stations with 4 points, there called Source London. I have no clue how or what i need to do at a charge point. i have loads of questions but I suppose the main one is charge points, say i go to Alton towers can i stop at any service Station and charge up or have i got to join a club so they can charge me. I didn’t get much sleep last night worrying for her.

#2 ·
Range anxiety is not fun.
Have a play on a app called zapmap.

you can see every charger and if you click on a charger then the information button it’s tells you what you’ll need to have/do to use that charger. The filter button is a god send.

Im guessing she probably learned a lot about charging already, there’s a lot of info with the car and on the internet.

#3 ·
A lot of rapid chargers take contactless payments now and the ones at most service areas (Ecotricity) require an App, although they aren’t the best to be fair.

Your daughter must have researched this stuff to even choose an EV in the first place? She’ll be fine and you’ve no need to lose sleep over it all. 🙂 The charging networks are getting better all the time, and let’s face it, how many times a year will she go to Alton Towers?

It sounds like a good car for her regular work commute. I travel long distances regularly in an EV with lesser range than her MG. If she hasn’t discovered it already, the Zap Map App has most of the charge points on it along any given route and tells you what network and any access requirements.

#4 ·
Ultimately if needs be the car be charged (all be it slowly) from a 13 amp plug. You are never far from electricity.

Try taking a look at Zap map. It’s a site where you can see all the charge points on the map. You are mostly interested in rapid chargers.
There are plenty of chargers in most areas. There are chargers in all motorway services as far as I know. There are a few places like Wales where there’s a bit of a dearth but it’s generally not a problem. Broken charge points are annoying.
For most charge networks you’ll need to download an app and create an account, some will take a tap and go payment. So first time plugging in to a new network can take a few minutes but after that it’s quick.
To charge at home you really want a proper charge point installed, it’s easier faster better. Was a charge point included with the deal for the car?
Avoid using an extension lead unless it’s specifically rated for the job (it may get hot) see tough leads if required.

#5 ·
Ultimately if needs be the car be charged (all be it slowly) from a 13 amp plug. You are never far from electricity.

Try taking a look at Zap map. It’s a site where you can see all the charge points on the maps. You are mostly interested in rapid chargers.
There are plenty of chargers in most areas. There are chargers in all motorway services as far as I know. There are a few places like Wales where there’s a bit of a dearth but it’s generally not a problem. Broken charge points are annoying.
For most charge networks you’ll need to download an app and create an account, some will take a tap and go payment. So first time plugging in to a new network can take a few minutes but after that it’s quick.
To charge at home you really want a proper charge point installed, it’s easier faster better. Was a charge point included with the deal for the car?
Avoid using an extension lead unless it’s specifically rated for the job (it may get hot) see tough leads if required.
Thanks Bron, that sounds grate, yes a charge point at home is in with the deal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.