Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Waiting for C Class estate 350e...
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

So I have a Merc C class estate 350e ordered (Hopefully mid-late July delivery)

Here is what i KNOW

I intend having a Rolec Wall Pod fitted at home
My employer has no plans (until I convince otherwise!) to install charge point at office
Merc is NOT Rapid charging enabled
Merc can only use "normal" charging
A full charge takes about 2 hours (a bit less according to them)

The information I have gathered here is :

I cant use Rapid charging. At all
I SHOULDN'T tie up a Rapid public charger for more than 30 minutes (common decency). This will give me 7 miles range and is probably a waste of time
I can use "fast" chargers, but only as a destination charger (Unless stopping for an hour+ at service station or similar)
I CAN plug in (3 pin plug) wherever I find my self

Given that this lot is the case

My daily commute (Mon-Fri) is roughly 14 miles a day
I can plug on and charge overnight (on economy 7, YAY!), at 4.2p/KWH
I may or may not be able to convince employer !

My average mileage mon-fri is no more than 20 miles per day
My average weekend mileage is around 40-50 miles per day (usually start and finish at home)
We DO have family in Cornwall, and make the 350 mile trip (currently with one stop each way) 3-4 times a year.

My current understanding is

Charge vehicle every night at home and almost commute for free.
Accept that any charging over and above probably isn't worth it (given I need 90 minutes to get 12 miles)

Would you agree, or am I missing something obvious ??

·
Super Moderator
7,270 Posts
No I'd say you've got it. Home charging is the best and most convenient thing. Some people do park a couple of miles away from work at a place they can charge, get a folding bike out the boot and cycle to work, but that sounds pretty inconvenient to me.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Agreed and well done to you for realising that although you theoretically CAN charge at a slow rate on a rapid, doesn't mean you should.

The first time I stopped and charged at a MSA on a 7kw post, I stayed in view of the car in case a BEV needed it. There happened to be 2 Rapids as well, so that was highly unlikely.

Welcome to electric motoring.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed and well done to you for realising that although you theoretically CAN charge at a slow rate on a rapid, doesn't mean you should.

The first time I stopped and charged at a MSA on a 7kw post, I stayed in view of the car in case a BEV needed it. There happened to be 2 Rapids as well, so that was highly unlikely.

Welcome to electric motoring.
Ahhh... A fellow Nottingham Dweller. Thanks for the advice !

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Would you agree, or am I missing something obvious ??
Sounds like you've got the calculations pretty much right!

If your employer is completely unwilling to install a chargepoint, might they be willing to simply install a 3-pin socket outside? The cost would likely not be very much at all. Maybe they already have one? My employer would not agree to funding a chargepoint, however when I found an external socket around the back of the building they had no problem with me plugging in. Consequently I can now commute there and back in the Prius on full electric.

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you've got the calculations pretty much right!

If your employer is completely unwilling to install a chargepoint, might they be willing to simply install a 3-pin socket outside? The cost would likely not be very much at all. Maybe they already have one? My employer would not agree to funding a chargepoint, however when I found an external socket around the back of the building they had no problem with me plugging in. Consequently I can now commute there and back in the Prius on full electric.
I have sent an email today pointing out the benefits of allowing usage of a 3 pin plug.

If that happens, it will make life a little easier at little/no cost to employer (or me!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts