Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a request for any other Model S owners within 20/30 miles of J16 M1 / Northants-Daventry turn off.

My Roadster went in for a service yesterday and I've been loaned a Model S and the interior seems so much better than the one I test drove in Sept 2013. The drive home was amazing, and I'm figuring out what to put on ebay to order a P85D etc ..

On arrival back home the car had 20 miles left and was telling me to plug in ASAP due to it being -2'C

However, they forgot to put any compatible charging cables in the car ... I have a 32amp commando / 7kW at home but that's it. I'm 50 miles from nearest supercharger, and 15 miles from nearest Ecotricity .. and my RFID card is still in the Roadster (they'll probably enable it remotely if I ask nicely). Also, I don't want to spend the rest of Saturday charging it at a motorway service point !!

Having spoken to Tesla UK them this morning they earliest they might be able to get me the correct cable is Tuesday / Wednesday...

Is there another Model S owner 'locally' that has a spare 13amp / 32amp cable / adapter they could lend me so I can at least use the car in the next few days and keep it from turning into a block of ice ??

Super Moderator
A Zoe or i3 driver may be able to help as well, as they use 32amp type2 cables!

Registered
I have one (16A commando to type 2), but it's mega flakey with the S. I've once managed to get it to work for long enough to put 2 miles in :( If you get really stuck I'd happily lend it you, and you might have more luck than I do.

Can you get to the Ecotricity point (I'm guessing Leicester Forest East) then across to the SC in Birmingham ?

Hopefully as a loaner, it's likely to be dual enabled, so at least you'd get 60 miles in an hour at the services.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice ! Here's the latest ..

A Zoe or i3 driver may be able to help as well, as they use 32amp type2 cables!
My other half drives a Zoe .. but she's driven it up to Carlisle this weekend (don't laugh .. 250 miles up the M6 in a Zoe ... that's been quite a story in itself !!!). She does have a T2 charger .. but its locked in her garage and she's got the keys :-(

I have one (16A commando to type 2), but it's mega flakey with the S. I've once managed to get it to work for long enough to put 2 miles in :( If you get really stuck I'd happily lend it you, and you might have more luck than I do.

Can you get to the Ecotricity point (I'm guessing Leicester Forest East) then across to the SC in Birmingham ?

Hopefully as a loaner, it's likely to be dual enabled, so at least you'd get 60 miles in an hour at the services.
I'm just waiting for a call back from Tesla Birmingham as they're keen that the battery doesn't suffer with all the -2'c temps at the moment. Its got maybe 15-20 miles left in it at present and I'm likely to have the car all week so this does need sorting. They might be able to get someone to drop off a 32amp commando lead ASAP.

As a last resort, I can set off on a one-way 14 mile chance trip to Watford Services, and sneak down the service road thereby saving 5 miles (I've often done this in the Roadster :)). Hopefully the charger is working as indicated online, there's no queue and Ecotricity can remotely enable charging. After about 1.5 hrs I'll be able to drive over to the SC in Brum . . .

I've even contemplated lashing up a 13amp one phase feed using my one remaining Roadster cable/adapter !!

Not quite what I was expecting to be doing on Saturday ..

Premium Member
Before you set off for Watford services, check that someone is answering the phone at Ecotricity and that they will be able to remotely validate your session. I called their number on a Saturday morning a few weeks ago and got no answer.

Registered
Hope you (Tesla) get it sorted.

I'd offer to pop over and lend you my spare Ecotricity card, but Watford services is a fair slog in the wrong direction from here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Closing Update :-

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Tesla UK have been proactive at sorting out a cable being delivered on a Sunday. Ecotricity were very helpful with unlocking a rapid charger remotely. I ended up getting 160 miles / half a charge put in whilst I sitting in Costa doing homework with my 7 yr old.

However, after being fleeced of 1,000 EV miles worth of money to buy a few coffees / chocolates / crisps etc, I'm thinking of opening up a new coffee shop called ... Cost-a-Lot-Less. Its daft what they get away with !

Meanwhile, 24 hrs into usage of a P85+ I'm just amazed by it, the companies service, the cars performance, the interior quality improvements over the original LHD one I drove 15 months ago . . and so on. Amazing.

Couple of mobile phone shots showing Warp drive disabled (!), cold battery message, and energy usage after partial top up on way back home. And some kid lurking in the frunk :-

Model S guage 14 miles left limited power w.jpg
Model S running low.jpg
Model S power guage.jpg
Zac in the Model S frunk 3 2.jpg

Registered
Nice to hear you're being looked after.

Pretty sure you'll have an irate forum owner along soon pointing out that it's actually a froot though. ;)

Registered
Interesting... Your energy graph is different to mine!

Mine doesn't show rated, instead it shows a "typical" line at 330-340 Wh/mi.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty sure you'll have an irate forum owner along soon pointing out that it's actually a froot though. ;)
Theres a bloke who sometimes turns up in our village pub who openly goes on about being "Froot". I'm advised it has nothing to do with the Model S !!

Interesting... Your energy graph is different to mine! Mine doesn't show rated, instead it shows a "typical" line at 330-340 Wh/mi.
You might notice the main speedo dial is different too ..

I'm not sure that it's intended for storing children though? Good to know in case of emergency I guess. :D
I reckon you could get 3 kids in the frunk / froot, maybe a 4th in the giant square hole at the back of it too, then maybe 4 or more across the huge rear seats, 2 in the rear-facing boot seats and another one sat in the vast boot foot/well. Plus two Xxxl adults. Thats 13 people ! Probably a tad illegal though, but if you were going for a world record you could probably pack 20+ small people in there no problem !

Small child in model S frunk froot.jpg

Elon and bloke in the Frunk.jpg

Registered
You might notice the main speedo dial is different too ..
lol, a nice bit of photo-shopping! :D

I reckon you could get 3 kids in the frunk / froot, maybe a 4th in the giant square hole at the back of it too, then maybe 4 or more across the huge rear seats, 2 in the rear-facing boot seats and another one sat in the vast boot foot/well. Plus two Xxxl adults. Thats 13 people ! Probably a tad illegal though, but if you were going for a world record you could probably pack 20+ small people in there no problem !
You've got a way to go!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...8-people-and-a-new-Guinness-World-Record.html

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Registered
Ahh, but I was thinking along the lines of the car actually moving too. But if the same "people density" shown in the video was applied to the Model S, I'm fairly sure you could double that record.

Anyone got 50 kids to spare this afternoon ?
The added benefit of an S is the driver doesn't need to be able to move.. just switch on the Auto-pilot :D

Registered
Glad you got it sorted OK, Arch.
Did you have to beg for a Model S as a loaner when the roadster went in for its service (or did they feel that 拢500 for a quick 'plug, poke and de-dust PEM' was worth it ;) ) .... I'd love to borrow a MS when my roadster is in for service in 4 months, but my nose would grow 4in if I said I was buying one in next year or so (or when cant fit in Roadster :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts