Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We returned our Zoe a few weeks ago.

The Manheim inspector gave it the all clear - nothing to pay. Very pleased with that.

However.....we received a letter today from RCI stating that we owe them £361.28 in Excess Mileage charges!

We took delivery on 3rd December 2015 and returned it on 25th October 2017 - 39 days early.

The mileage, you ask? We had a 9,000 mile per year contract for both the car and the battery hire. We covered 17,017 miles, which if you work it out pro-rata, is 21 miles LESS than the 18,000 miles we were "allowed" for our 2 year PCP, based on the date the car was returned (39 days early).

According to our agreements, excess mileage charges are 8p per mile for the car finance agreement, and 7.5ppm for the battery hire (both including VAT). So a total of 15.5ppm.

Called them today and they were beyond useless. Tried to start telling us that it's because the agreements didn't start until the first payments were made (on 2nd January 2016), so we have effectively given it back 39 days early plus a month - if you do the maths it still comes to nowhere near £361 (It would be around £111).

As mentioned above, we took delivery on 3rd December 2015 - a month before that - so from our point of view, the 2 year PCP terms ends on 3rd December 2017 and being under the pro-rata "allowed mileage" by 21 miles, we should have absolutely nothing to pay.....?

There is no explanation or calculation in the letter we have received.

Any help would be much appreciated - I can't be the only one who has received such complete guff.....!

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD, Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav)
908 Posts
Have you made 24 monthly payments on the car and 24 on the battery? If so, how can you be due anything other than 18,000 miles use? The period you have the car in your hands for seems immaterial! (I don't PCP, so please forgive me if this is obvious to those who do.)

·
Registered
Vw ID.3 Life Pro
529 Posts
They can't just pluck a figure from the air.

If you query it they must have to explain how they came to the figure.

Just say that your willing to pay what is due, but there seems to be an error in their calculations from what you think is due, therefore you will only be able to pay once they have fully detailed the charges and calculations for you to check.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies - especially on a Sunday morning! We paid the remaining PCP & battery hire payments as part of the settlement figure, so have effectively paid for the full 24 month term.

I can't for the life of me work out how they have arrived at such a ridiculous figure. They aren't around until tomorrow now. I just wondered if anyone else had had a similar experience - and what they did / why it was so wrong..

·
Registered
765 Posts
They are correct about the length of the PCP; it is 25 months. You've returned the car 69 days early.

I can't get to their figure though. I suspect that's a mistake. Either that, or the battery lease wasn't on 9,000 miles?

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
You need to write to them (and keep a copy) of your complaint. Explain how you reckon that they have overcharged you and how you reached that conclusion. Ask them to explain, in full detail, how they arrived at the amount they charged you.

Most companies are honour bound to reply to written complaints. You'll also have a document to take to Citizen's Advice and the Ombudsman.

Mine's up in March, I've been given the 18th for the car and the 8th for the battery. I'm 800 miles over on the car and 300 on the battery (i have a spreadsheet, I know, sad). Currently I owe £80. Hoping to bring that down to zero before the end.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Shame, please keep us updated how this works out. I am interning to return my car 6 weeks early as well (actually exactly 2 years after taking delivery). I will pay all payments so I would not expect any charges, neither should you.

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,089 Posts
Could it be the car was on say 6000 miles and battery 9000?
Quite agree. My PCP is for 7000 miles and the battery for 7500. When I went in to order my next one I was very specific about the PCP and battery mileage agreeing. I was told that would be the case as the dealers have had some stick about the imbalance and have been told not to do it again(y).

Reactions: bencompston

·
Registered
837 Posts
We returned our Zoe a few weeks ago.

The Manheim inspector gave it the all clear - nothing to pay. Very pleased with that.

However.....we received a letter today from RCI stating that we owe them £361.28 in Excess Mileage charges!

We took delivery on 3rd December 2015 and returned it on 25th October 2017 - 39 days early.

The mileage, you ask? We had a 9,000 mile per year contract for both the car and the battery hire. We covered 17,017 miles, which if you work it out pro-rata, is 21 miles LESS than the 18,000 miles we were "allowed" for our 2 year PCP, based on the date the car was returned (39 days early).

According to our agreements, excess mileage charges are 8p per mile for the car finance agreement, and 7.5ppm for the battery hire (both including VAT). So a total of 15.5ppm.

Called them today and they were beyond useless. Tried to start telling us that it's because the agreements didn't start until the first payments were made (on 2nd January 2016), so we have effectively given it back 39 days early plus a month - if you do the maths it still comes to nowhere near £361 (It would be around £111).

As mentioned above, we took delivery on 3rd December 2015 - a month before that - so from our point of view, the 2 year PCP terms ends on 3rd December 2017 and being under the pro-rata "allowed mileage" by 21 miles, we should have absolutely nothing to pay.....?

There is no explanation or calculation in the letter we have received.

Any help would be much appreciated - I can't be the only one who has received such complete guff.....!
Mind me asking, did you get this sorted?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts