Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New member and owner of 2016 Zoe Dynamique Nav. Very happy owner so far apart from a couple of issues that I hope you guys can help with.

The first few times of charging went well, until a few days ago. After plugging the car in on 35%, I came back the next morning to it only on 68% and the dash saying ongoing checks. Within a few moments of me opening the car the charging carried on. It has happen the past 3 charges now. Not sure what to do. It starts charging ok but seems to stop at some point.
Ive booked the car in with Renault in a couple of weeks time to reset the telecommunications unit as I cannot connect to ZE services. Status shows as disconnected. Also, there are no lights on the steering wheel buttons at night.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

David

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
This usually happens when the feed is interrupted. My advice would be to first try at another charger, just to rule out the home installation.

TCU might be broken, but more often it's something on the Renault side.

Steering wheel buttons have no lights.

And welcome :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I live in a block of flats with underground parking and plenty of charge points so I can easily try another charger. What is the TCU? Is this part of the charger?
If it is something to do with the car, will the dealer be able to pick up the fault when they plug it in to their diagnostic machine?

Thanks again!

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
The TCU is the "phone home" computer. There have been reliability issues with the first batch and Renault switched to another manufacturer. Not sure about 2016 though. However, connectivity problems are not just caused by the box; it often is a back-end problem. When mine stopped working I called Renault CS and thew were able to get it fixed remotely / on their end. Never saw a dealer for that, and I could avoid the possible he said/she said.

There is diagnostic info logged. Make sure you write down the odo mileage, as that identifies the event, AFAIK it doesn't have a timestamp (at least I never found one). No guarantee that it pops up something useful.

Next to using the other chargers in the building (probably operating under one controller), I would also try a public one. If it is a consistent problem it's probably the car, or even the cable. I know that sounds unlikely, but it has happened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice.
I tried another charger last night and had no problems. Will keep an eye on it.
Is there any other way to get the network status to connect rather than having to go to the main dealer?
Cant use any of the ZE services yet....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there any other way to get the network status to connect rather than having to go to the main dealer?
Cant use any of the ZE services yet....
Have you tried the "raindance"? Turn off data sharing, leave and lock car, wait ten minutes, go back to car, turn on data sharing.

A variant I was told to try by Renault Multimedia customer support once: turn data sharing off, turn data sharing back on again, leave and lock car, wait ten minutes, go back to car, hope. (I _almost_ told him he'd got the order wrong, but it did seem to fix the problem...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, I'm still getting 'ongoing checks' when charging on other chargers.
I've booked the problem with Renault now. Out of curiosity, is the charge cable covered under warranty?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can I ask some advice on charging the Zoe out and about please...
For the past 3 weeks we have only charged the car at home as we get free electricity in out apartment block. We are now considering an overnight on the south coast but obviously need to charge somewhere. Who do we need to sign up with so we can charge on the go? There seems to be many different companies. Ive just looked at Polar Network's website and they charge a monthly subscription cost. Is there any companies that do pay as you go or do we need to register with them. I feel a bit stupid asking as I really should have done the homework before, but as most of the time we will be charging at home I've never given it any thought!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can I ask some advice on charging the Zoe out and about please...
Welcome to the forums! It would generally be better to make a new thread rather than tack your question on to an unrelated one.

But since you've asked:

Who do we need to sign up with so we can charge on the go? There seems to be many different companies. Ive just looked at Polar Network's website and they charge a monthly subscription cost. Is there any companies that do pay as you go or do we need to register with them.
Best thing to do is check Zap-Map to see who runs the chargers nearest your place of interest. Polar are one of the biggest, and give you a three-month free trial of their Polar Plus subscription; you need the RFID card they post you to use the chargers (most of the time). Motorway services tend to have Ecotricity chargers which you can activate via an app (Electric Highway).

A new law comes into force next month that any public charge point should allow customers to use it without having to register an account with the provider first... not sure how compliant providers are going to be, and not sure if it would help you anyway (depends on when you're going)!

·
Premium Member
10,192 Posts
A new law comes into force next month that any public charge point should allow customers to use it without having to register an account with the provider first.
That isn't quite what the law states. It says "no contract" so the belief in industry is that the EH and Polar Instant apps (for example) comply.

Source London meanwhile are in breach as they have no means of access except waiting for an RFID card in the post.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you tried the "raindance"? Turn off data sharing, leave and lock car, wait ten minutes, go back to car, turn on data sharing.
Briefly removing the fuse is another way to reset the TCU; I've had to do this on our 67 Zoe occasionally when it stops sending text messages and the website stops updating. Somehow it knows when we're going away and need to charge away from home because that's when it always does it...

·
Registered
215 Posts
That isn't quite what the law states. It says "no contract" so the belief in industry is that the EH and Polar Instant apps (for example) comply.
True, if "by using this app you agree to our terms and conditions" doesn't constitute a contract (and if it doesn't, then I guess it's just as meaningless as we've all thought for years)! Ah, lawyers. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it easy to remove the fuse??

Briefly removing the fuse is another way to reset the TCU; I've had to do this on our 67 Zoe occasionally when it stops sending text messages and the website stops updating. Somehow it knows when we're going away and need to charge away from home because that's when it always does it...
t

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's a bit of a faff but it's fairly doable in a few minutes. It's behind the little cover in the glovebox; there should be a fuse puller fastened to the lid, then you just need tiny child-like fingers (so they'll fit) but also an iron grip (so you don't drop the fuse into the void).

The few times I've done it it has taken longer to find the PDF with the fuse map on it than to actually pull and replace the fuse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts