Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

Please forgive me being a total novice, but... I am buying a 2015 renault zoe, and trying to sort out installation of a home charger.
We live in an end of terrace house. We have a driveway, but it’s in front of our garage, which is in a block of 3 garages behind our home.
Our meter is on the back of our house, so to have it installed from there we'll need to have the cable fed through the garden and across the other two garages/driveways to reach ours. This is clearly not a standard installation.

Anyone else had to pay extra for non-standard installation and have any idea of the costs?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi.

I have the same problem, where my drive and garage is separated from me by my neighbour's house and drive.

You can have the cable pass under your neighbours' property, but it will be an expensive process both in terms of the cost of excavation/cable and the legal process that will have to be followed with all three parties and solicitors agreeing what I believe are called wayleaves.

In my case, my neighbour is a lunatic and unapproachable anyway, so I have arranged a new supply to the garage with my DNO.

The cost for me is £1200, which is based on 5m of cable to the pavement and jointing etc.

If you take this route, you will have a separate meter and bill just for your garage, but you could take the opportunity to install sockets and lights in there once you have an electricity supply. Indeed, you would need to have a consumer unit installed ready for the EVSE installer to connect to.

I know its a large initial outlay, but may well work out cheaper than trying to route across two other people's property, which you would most likely have to sort out yourself anyway, I'd say there's little chance the EVSE installer will want to touch it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.

I have the same problem, where my drive and garage is separated from me by my neighbour's house and drive.

You can have the cable pass under your neighbours' property, but it will be an expensive process both in terms of the cost of excavation/cable and the legal process that will have to be followed with all three parties and solicitors agreeing what I believe are called wayleaves.

In my case, my neighbour is a lunatic and unapproachable anyway, so I have arranged a new supply to the garage with my DNO.

The cost for me is £1200, which is based on 5m of cable to the pavement and jointing etc.

If you take this route, you will have a separate meter and bill just for your garage, but you could take the opportunity to install sockets and lights in there once you have an electricity supply. Indeed, you would need to have a consumer unit installed ready for the EVSE installer to connect to.

I know its a large initial outlay, but may well work out cheaper than trying to route across two other people's property, which you would most likely have to sort out yourself anyway, I'd say there's little chance the EVSE installer will want to touch it.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this.

We already have plug sockets and lights in our garage so I wonder if that will help/reduce our cost?!

Your neighbour sounds a nightmare, so good that you’ve found a solution!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for this.

We already have plug sockets and lights in our garage so I wonder if that will help/reduce our cost?!

Your neighbour sounds a nightmare, so good that you’ve found a solution!
Your garage already having a supply raises further questions. Best case scenario is that there is a nice duct running from your house to the garage and the wayleaves are already in place! In which case it would be a matter of pulling a new cable through, as its unlikely (but not impossible!) that the existing run could cope with a 32A EVSE and your existing fittings.

First step is probably to get an electrician out to diagnose, and give you a quote for upgrading it if at all possible. This could then be compared to the cost of a new supply. Your DNO will give you a quote for that for free, but may take a couple of weeks to get it to you.

Re the neighbour, yes she's a nightmare. Don't like to spend too long thinking about it, bad for the blood pressure!

In terms of costs for sorting this out, the way I've justified it to myself is that all cars are going to be electric sooner or later, so it will always need doing, and the cost will only increase over time. Better to go electric as soon as possible, as the per mile savings can start "repaying" the cost of sorting the supply out, if you see what I mean. PhD level Man Maths.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im on the same boat living in semidetached house and garage & driveway in my neighbours garden third in row from my house as our house is on the corner. Im trying to do trenchless cable installation (3 out of 5 neighbours agreed) aka moling cable installation but the problem with me the distance between my garden and the garage is about 25m and most of the companies need to dig hole halfway through to do it. The bigger companies who can do it with only two holes(im my garden and driveway) seems not interested as is not big enough job. If someone knows company who can do it will be much appreciated

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
My installation is non-standard but perhaps not quite as extreme.

My house is extended and so the power supply and meter are in the "central core" of the house. The full cable run from the consumer unit to the EVSE on the side of an external building in the garden is 45 meters, having to pass up to the 1st floor, then underfloor into a low-level loft, to an outside wall, down that, under paving slabs on the path at the side of the house and then along the fence line to the cabin where the EVSE is mounted. It took two men a full [rainy] day to do the work. I chose a local OLEV installer and the job cost me £400 of my own moolah.

I'd search out a local OLEV installer to your area or region and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
[QUOTE="LV213, post: 2247009, member: 68809"
We already have plug sockets and lights in our garage so I wonder if that will help/reduce our cost?![/QUOTE]

Could you get away, at least initially, with just a 13A granny cable? The 2015 ZOE has a battery that you could just about charge overnight at that rate.

·
Premium Member
10,684 Posts
Could you get away, at least initially, with just a 13A granny cable?
Unless the OP needs to buy a granny (max 10A) for other purposes, IMO they should pursue the charging point option and take advantage of OLEV grant.

I suspect a 16A point will be OK, but depending on supply it may require a contractor to disconnect the 13A sockets when the charger is in use.

@LV213 If you can take photos of what you have in the garage and all the breakers in the consumer unit in the house, members can probably give some advice. Is there a breaker labeled Garage?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally i get electricity in my garage was not too bad when you get the right company. They installed the cable under shared walkway without problems dug two holes (40x40 cm approximately) and pulled the cable took them 3 hours charge me £900 for 25 metres but saved me a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Finally i get electricity in my garage was not too bad when you get the right company. They installed the cable under shared walkway without problems dug two holes (40x40 cm approximately) and pulled the cable took them 3 hours charge me £900 for 25 metres but saved me a lot of hassle.
Thanks for reporting back.

Can you tell us the name of the contractor you used?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi could not find the web site but i have his number . His name is Ben‭ 07961 537699‬ based in north London but came to st Neots in Cambridgeshire approx 100 miles round trip for him

1 - 13 of 13 Posts