Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e-Niro "4" was not used for six days and the UVO app started reporting the 12volt battery as "caution". Alarmed I charged up the 12 volt charger with my intelligent battery charger, but I estimate it only took around 8 to 10 ampere hours before the 12 volt was full. The UVO app still reported "caution". After a run of around 28 miles it started reporting normal again!
Does anyone know the messages reported by the UVO app - I have discovered "normal" in green and "caution" in yellow. Is there a message in red?
Any suggestions why it was still reporting "caution" after it was apparently full?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the voltage of the 12v battery when UVO was saying caution?
A good question but no. I do not think I have the means to do that. As far as I could see SoulEVspy does not have 12volt battery voltages and I do not have a volt meter. On the other hand I have never known my intelligent battery charger to stop charging before the battery has reached full voltage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It’s just that measuring the voltage is more indicative than measuring the Ah and is likely what the app is monitoring.

How did you measure the Ah you put in, by the way, and given that the battery would be taking maybe 2 or 3 amps as it got close to charged, that must have taken quite some time anyway?

As for the app not picking up the recharged condition until you next went out for a drive, that doesn’t surprise me, mine often loses contact with the car.

In general and IME, because it’s so easy to damage an AGM battery by letting the voltage fall I think these reporting systems err on the cautious side. You’ll get a low warning we’ll before the battery drops to 12v in most cases, and a short drive will top it up.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Did you charge the battery using the -ve terminal on the body or directly across the battery terminals?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It’s just that measuring the voltage is more indicative than measuring the Ah and is likely what the app is monitoring.

How did you measure the Ah you put in, by the way, and given that the battery would be taking maybe 2 or 3 amps as it got close to charged, that must have taken quite some time anyway?

As for the app not picking up the recharged condition until you next went out for a drive, that doesn’t surprise me, mine often loses contact with the car.

In general and IME, because it’s so easy to damage an AGM battery by letting the voltage fall I think these reporting systems err on the cautious side. You’ll get a low warning we’ll before the battery drops to 12v in most cases, and a short drive will top it up.
Thanks very much for your full reply.
The ampere hours were estimated from the fact that the charger was charging at 2 amps and took less than 4 hours to be fully charged - at least as far as the charger was concerned.
As far as I know the UVO app had fully contacted with the car - it showed changes in the traction battery accurately but still showed the 12 volt as "caution".
I thought my 12volt was doing fine - but I will now have to watch it a bit!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you charge the battery using the -ve terminal on the body or directly across the battery terminals?
Thanks for the question.
I charged it (as suggested in the charger instructions) with the negative connector connected to part of the car's metalwork. The charger checked the connection and said it was OK.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would think 4 hours at 2A probably does simply indicate a lowish state of charge.

I haven’t had this issue with the Niro but my XF, if stood for more than a couple of weeks will give me low battery warning. Always starts easily enough and after a 15 min or so run, will be fine for another week or so. If I put my smart charger on it will take 3-4 hours to show all green.

I’ve checked the battery voltage at the time I’m getting the message and it’s been around 12.3/12.4v, which indicates it’s about 25% discharged.

That’s just to illustrate that the voltage doesn’t need to fall too far to trigger a warning, though an AGM battery is considered as fully discharged at anything much below 12v of course.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Thanks for the question.
I charged it (as suggested in the charger instructions) with the negative connector connected to part of the car's metalwork. The charger checked the connection and said it was OK.
Good stuff. This is important as otherwise you bypass the battery state monitoring device and it'll never know that the battery has been charged. So it should be ok.
12.3ish volts should be fine for "ignition off" state.
I find that smart chargers are often too smart, however, and need to let them run a lot of charge/rest cycles before they properly top off a modern lead/acid battery, particularly when they're trying to peer through the murky resistance/reactance of a battery monitoring device inline with the battery itself.

·
Registered
216 Posts
In answer to one of the original questions yes there is a warning message in red.
My reference is Bluelink for my Ioniq but the apps appear to be the same .
I had a yellow 12v battery warning before putting the car on a 6hr 7kw charge. As the 12v battery charges when the car is charged I expected the 12v icon in the app to turn green when I checked during the charge but it didn't. Refreshing the app did not change the state. It didn't turn green until the car was switched on so looks like everything is refreshed when the app queries the car.

Screenshot_20201006-212459.png

1 - 10 of 10 Posts