Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Zoe 2015 22kw showing electric fault . it has gone into limp mode , won't charge , radio , heating , screen wash not working.Any help would be greatly appreciated as all dealers etc are closed and i need to get to work. 12v battery ok.
car.jpg

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
Has it been sat around not being used much?

How old is the 12v battery in the car? :)

I assume it still drives?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI, Battery is about 12 months old ,checked it earlier and giving a reading of 12.3v. Car driver in limp mode 19mph. used most days.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The one time I saw the same message I charged the 12V and never saw the message again.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
12.3 volts is a bit low. But it can be hard to test properly on a ZOE.

How long is your daily commute?

Do you have a way to get the battery on a trickle charge?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,980 Posts
Check the user manual. There's 2 different battery symbols with ! in them. Once is for the traction battery and the other is for the 12v.

I'd still assume the 12v battery was dead in the first instance though. They often have charging problems, even in a regularly used car it slowly knackers the 12v.

If several things aren't working then check the fuses as well. If the heating isn't working it might be the air con/battery cooling system has failed and that will mean it's got to go and be fixed.

I'd contact Renault Assistance and see if they can do anything.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Low 12V has been known to throw up all sorts of faults/errors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can disconnect the battery and put it on charge for a while. Renault assistance is closed and refer you to the RAC who will only tow you back. Thank you all for replying so quickly.

·
Registered
16,963 Posts
I can disconnect the battery and put it on charge for a while. Renault assistance is closed and refer you to the RAC who will only tow you back. Thank you all for replying so quickly.
Try that and see if you can get the battery to read a bit higher once fully charged. 12.6 volts is what it should read apparently.

Some batteries also have a ‘green ball’ indicator to tell you if it’s still healthy. Sorry if you already know this.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
Testing the battery is not straightforward, as if your do anything (such as opening a door) the DCDC converter kicks in to charge the 12V battery from the traction battery, and you are just measuring its output.

Have a look a these to threads for more details:

Zoe 12V Battery issue?

Battery tester for 12V battery

There's plenty more if you search for "check electric system".

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll second what everybody else mentions. The error message is telling you that the 12V battery is low and, as such, many of the features such as the ones you described.

The question I have is since when did you get this message? Did the car go into limp mode as soon as the message appeared or did you get the message for several days in a row. If you have received this message for several days already, it means that the 12V battery is not recharging while the car is ON and the fault will lie with the DC-DC converter. Is the car still under warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
if you do anything (such as opening a door) the DCDC converter kicks in to charge the 12V battery from the traction battery
Is this true or do you need the ignition on and the engine to be running for the 12v battery to be topped up?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
The charge from the DC-DC converter is not ideal for recovering a battery from a poor state. A decent battery conditioner (from £15 online) will recover around 2/3rds that will otherwise be changed too early.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
614 Posts
Is this true or do you need the ignition on and the engine to be running for the 12v battery to be topped up?
Most definitely correct. I've checked the '12V' voltage whilst doing just that. I always take steps to let the DC-DC converter time out before disconnecting the 12V battery.

I also believe that the DC-DC converter kicks in when you remotely precondition or set off a charge. That makes sense, as the control logic all runs off 12V.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
The charge from the DC-DC converter is not ideal for recovering a battery from a poor state. A decent battery conditioner (from £15 online) will recover around 2/3rds that will otherwise be changed too early.
This!!!

my £40 optimal has saved 4 or 5 batteries over the 10yrs I’ve had it and my smart Brabus sits plugged in for months at a time :)

JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you get it sorted OP?

I have had this message flag up when the traction battery has been low, resulting in the 12v battery not keeping itself topped up from it, a quick plug in to charge the car and its sorted itself out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts