Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Likely been sitting around in low temps, needs the 12v battery charged. Remember ICE cars? that happens to them this time of year too.;)

Not a good look for an ad though :oops:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Parking
Vehicle Snow Car Residential area Road
Hi there I am still no further on . Technician says it is showing a fault in the door electrics, although door is working perfectly .They are ordering new door loom . They are saying is was damaged when we had sound proofing put in , this was completed 2 months prior , had been computer updated since then , But fault only just showed up . Due to this they will not cover on warranty ... it is also showing cruise control and speed limiter , but they won’t check this until door is corrected ! I have told them to go ahead and I will pay ..I also told them I was very unhappy about my car being left outside on yellow line .. They said is was not a proper yellow line , but promised it was now in the car park and would stay there . So imagine how I felt yesterday to drive past and see my car, very dirty looking again outside on a yellow line

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You really need to take this up with Renault CS. It is quite clear they are lying to you. If they can't be honest with you about where they're leaving your car, how can you trust anything they're telling you about the problems with your vehicle, or that the sound proofing damaged the wiring loom...

Reactions: Neilew

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,120 Posts
I'm struggling a bit to understand the reasons you put sound proofing into an EV, but what exactly was done, and who by?

If you are paying, then demand the loom back that they replace and show you where it was damaged.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I'm struggling a bit to understand the reasons you put sound proofing into an EV, but what exactly was done, and who by?

If you are paying, then demand the loom back that they replace and show you where it was damaged.
my Husband decided it was a wonderful car, except the road noise bothered him. He offered to pay to get it done .. when he was doing something after with the speakers, after this, he damaged a wire . This was repaired with connectors , and the door worked perfectly ...6 weeks or so later Zoe went in for computer update ,nothing was picked up then , which surprises me ..the warning came on a week after the update...I am prepared to pay if we caused it ( well if he caused it he will pay it)

Still annoys me though that they can just leave it for a week outside , not in a secure park

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Update . They have fitted a new door loom , and now say it must have shorted the lock as drivers door will not lock . They are going to fit a new lock, strangely enough the lock wouldn’t work awhile ago , they fitted a new lock which still didn’t work and then said it was the door loom ..that’s when the door loom was repaired and working ok after that . I am waiting to see what happens when new lock is fitted again.!! My husband says surely it would have blown a fuse , but no fuse blown ...I am thinking no one knows what they are doing .. what’s the betting IF they get the door working ok at my expense , the battery warning will still show up ?
Confused . Com

·
33,120 Posts
It makes no sense because either;
a) the supply line has shorted, in which case the lock sees less volts
b) the return line has shorted, in which case it is no different to being normally connected to the vehicle ground

Plus, the lock should fall under short circuit and transient testing during product validation, and it should be a manufacturing defect if it cannot withstand a short circuit malfunction on the vehicle.

.....They don't know what they are doing. Do you want me to talk with them? :D

It is possible, however, that the break and reconnection you made has had the effect. It may be that software has detected a fault from a change of current characteristics and has shut off actuation of the lock as a preventative measure. Still, if that were true, it would still be no reason to charge you more for a mis-diagnosis.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
It makes no sense because either;
a) the supply line has shorted, in which case the lock sees less volts
b) the return line has shorted, in which case it is no different to being normally connected to the vehicle ground

Plus, the lock should fall under short circuit and transient testing during product validation, and it should be a manufacturing defect if it cannot withstand a short circuit malfunction on the vehicle.

.....They don't know what they are doing. Do you want me to talk with them? :D

It is possible, however, that the break and reconnection you made has had the effect. It may be that software has detected a fault from a change of current characteristics and has shut off actuation of the lock as a preventative measure. Still, if that were true, it would still be no reason to charge you more for a mis-diagnosis.
We realise that our connectors may have upset the software , but. We then agreed to them fitting a new loom , because I wanted to get away from them blaming the loom, that we had damaged . But still it goes on .. can you answer me another problem , the warning that came up , according to the Manual is a fault on the 400 volt system , wouldn’t the doors run on 12 volt system ?
It may be I will ask you to speak to them , as, I am losing the will to live lol, . I don’t understand the car enough to argue with them, I am lost with out a car

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,727 Posts
I love the little ZOE but I wouldn't touch it with a long pole (literally this time!) if the door locking worked on the 400 volt bus ;-) So no, it is 12 volt driven.

The "check electrical system" message, AFAIK is always related to the 12 volt system, but of course there is an interface, being the DC-DC converter, converting power from the 400 volt bus into the 12 volt bus. It is located in the PEC (R models) or PEB (Q models).

My hunch (no more, no less): a cabling issue can be awfully tricky to find and indeed lead to this warning. I am not saying it is due to your fiddling with the door (it could, it could not), just saying it is possible. Luckily there is always a hubby to blame ;-)

As far as dealer prudence, I guess I am on your side, whatever it's worth (uh huh, nothing).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I love the little ZOE but I wouldn't touch it with a long pole (literally this time!) if the door locking worked on the 400 volt bus ;-) So no, it is 12 volt driven.

The "check electrical system" message, AFAIK is always related to the 12 volt system, but of course there is an interface, being the DC-DC converter, converting power from the 400 volt bus into the 12 volt bus. It is located in the PEC (R models) or PEB (Q models).

My hunch (no more, no less): a cabling issue can be awfully tricky to find and indeed lead to this warning. I am not saying it is due to your fiddling with the door (it could, it could not), just saying it is possible. Luckily there is always a hubby to blame ;-)

As far as dealer prudence, I guess I am on your side, whatever it's worth (uh huh, nothing).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
You-there, I know I didn’t touch it lol ... I get that he caused the break in the wire , but surely now it has a new loom , that should be sorted .. regarding the warning, the electrotechnical system warning light came on when I was driving , I had been driving about 5 mins. It has come up every time I switch on since , just going by the hand book that is 400 volt system ..hope I am wrong , but I am defo confused ...

·
4,727 Posts
You meant "Check Electrical System" right? (not being an a**, just making 100% sure). At least that would be consistent with something haywire in the 12 volt system, loom or not.

Someone will call out my perceived arrogance, but the user manual is crappy beyond words. They got ALL the fuse positions wrong and in the end we posted a printout from the workshop here, obtained from the German forum and translated by @Sandy . Go figure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have my car back , new door loom, new lock ..all warnings cleared and they tell me it’s all good .. cost hubby just under £300. And they promised any new faults will be under warranty , as loom and lock are under warranty .. ..I am hiding my keys , this car is mine !
Thanks for all your help, I may lose the handbook , as it tells me rubbish, , and ask you all first lol

·
4,727 Posts
Cool!

As for hubby, yeah, just do as most: just use him for the blame ONLY :whistle: No driving, no tinkering. We bear that cross with pride.:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
You meant "Check Electrical System" right? (not being an a**, just making 100% sure). At least that would be consistent with something haywire in the 12 volt system, loom or not.

Someone will call out my perceived arrogance, but the user manual is crappy beyond words. They got ALL the fuse positions wrong and in the end we posted a printout from the workshop here, obtained from the German forum and translated by @Sandy . Go figure.

Yes, it said check electrical system , there is a picture on here screen shot in earlier post . It was the box with exclamation mark through lit up , that made me. Think it was serious

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,980 Posts
There are two battery warnings in the 2016 manual. One is for the 12v system and one for the HV. The latter has the ! in it. Coupled with a spanner and a STOP message would suggest something important. ZE Assist obviously thought so.

If you see a message for the first time I'd still think talking to ZEAssist would be the prudent thing to do. It's only a phone call and it also logs the first time a fault is seen so if nothing else there is the chance of logging them so Renault might actually find out why if a lot more people tell them about the faults.

·
33,120 Posts
I suspect unrelated things, and an unnecessary replacement of stuff. There again, maybe they fixed it. Who will ever be able to say? Best to take photos of error messages and dash-board states, they may reveal interesting peculiarities that can be decoded by others.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
701 Posts
So, it's my turn for 'Check Electric System'. My ZOE is over 4 years old.

Technology Electronic device Car Vehicle Multimedia

My wife drove it this morning without incident. I plugged in the charger when she returned, but forgot to turn the charger on. When we came to use the car later, it would not release the cable and the dash showed the above. It is NOT the 12V battery, as that was replaced a year ago and is showing 13.4V. I have done several 'rain dances'.

I have removed the locking pin mechanism from the front of the car to enable me to remove the the charging cable. I was then able to drive it around the block quite normally. It continues to display the above, occasionally changing to 'Check hill start assist'.

I've tried again, and it's now charging.

I've spoken to our local Renault dealers to be told that they are no longer EV accredited for repairs, so I'll have to take it to Winchester. Hopefully I can limp it on until the New Year before taking it in.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts