Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone.

I'm new here and a first time poster, i did have a look around but could really use some advice.

I'm a teacher who commutes 50 miles one way everyday to school. The cost of fuel has sent my monthly expenses up to about £250 a month. This is no longer sustainable for me long term. Over the summer holidays i am looking to change my petrol car for something more economical. No specific requirements, but i would like to try and keep the costs down to £200 or less a month. There are no charging points near me or at my school, but i can run an extension lead from a standard plug.

I am clueless when it comes to cars in general, so a decision like this has left me with so many factors that i am unsure of.

I would be grateful for any help or advice you can give

·
The best there is at what I do
11,151 Posts
If you haven't got a smart meter get one and have a proper charger installed if possible, some electric companies offer vcheaper night time/off peak rates that over the course of a year can amount to considerable savings, I'm with Octopus and they off cheap rates between 00:30 and 04:30, I also use my washing machine and tumble dryer in that time slot, my bills have reduced considerably.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Unless you buy second hand it might not yet be financially viable to switch to an EV, finding one that costs not too much more than the car you're replacing could be difficult depending what you currently drive.

Charging using an extension via a standard plug is not recommended for long continuous charging as a 13a plug (charging at 10a) may only add around 7-10 miles per hour, which would be over 10 hours each night.

Ideally you'd need a dedicated charger installed if you do 100 miles per day for work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Unless you buy second hand it might not yet be financially viable to switch to an EV, finding one that costs not too much more than the car you're replacing could be difficult depending what you currently drive.

Charging using an extension via a standard plug is not recommended for long continuous charging as a 13a plug (charging at 10a) may only add around 7-10 miles per hour, which would be over 10 hours each night.

Ideally you'd need a dedicated charger installed if you do 100 miles per day for work.
Was hoping that i could charge over night and then charge it for the 9 or so hours i am in work. Didn't know if that would be feasible or no

Happy to go with used and have spoken to the school about getting a charger fitted as it meets their environmental pledge. If the costs are right, then we could also get one at home

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you haven't got a smart meter get one and have a proper charger installed if possible, some electric companies offer vcheaper night time/off peak rates that over the course of a year can amount to considerable savings, I'm with Octopus and they off cheap rates between 00:30 and 04:30, I also use my washing machine and tumble dryer in that time slot, my bills have reduced considerably.
I'm with Bulb just now, but with the cost of energy being all over the place, i'm trying to figure out what i should do there too

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which ICE do you drive and welcome to the forum.
Standby for lost of conflicting suggestions!

Also, what is the longest journey you typically would do and how often?
Currently have a 09 Vauxhall Astra and my wife has a Skoda Octavia (just purchased so won't be swapping)

The commute to work is the longest, so we would be getting rid of the Astra. Mostly use the Skoda for the work commute and family holidays

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,698 Posts
If your doing 100 miles a day all year round and want an EV capable of rapid charging for long trips and your looking second hand you are looking at an early Hyundai Ioniq EV. I think they were 2018-20. But your looking at about 20k I believe. The savings on fuel would be considerable if you charged at home on a cheap night rate like Octopus Go. As mentioned earlier you will need a proper 7kw home chargepoint at home.

Reactions: SCanfer

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
359 Posts
I'm a teacher who commutes 50 miles one way everyday to school. The cost of fuel has sent my monthly expenses up to about £250 a month. ... No specific requirements, but i would like to try and keep the costs down to £200 or less a month. There are no charging points near me or at my school, but i can run an extension lead from a standard plug.
Is your maximum budget £200/month for fuel costs alone? What purchase budget do you have?

Pure EV purchase-wise there are a number of pre-owned Nissan LEAF 40kWh's with a range of 120 - 150 miles (winter v summer) available at around the £20k mark. These are a reliable and well-established EV with plenty of choice in the marketplace. I've run 2 now for over 8 years and have been very satisfied. They are probably a safe bet for a novice EV'er.

Step up to under £30k and the 62kWh e+ models become possible. These have a significant boost in range for around 200 miles.

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Currently have a 09 Vauxhall Astra and my wife has a Skoda Octavia (just purchased so won't be swapping)

The commute to work is the longest, so we would be getting rid of the Astra. Mostly use the Skoda for the work commute and family holidays
A quick look on Autotrader doesn't show anything that can do 100miles in winter for £200/month.

If you had a sizable deposit then this will increase your options.

As others have stated, the plug-in or Granny charger as it's known, is really meant for emergency use so you'd need to have a 7kw wall box installed. (~£600-1200 depending on how far from your consumer unit it is)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your maximum budget £200/month for fuel costs alone? What purchase budget do you have?

Pure EV purchase-wise there are a number of pre-owned Nissan LEAF 40kWh's with a range of 120 - 150 miles (winter v summer) available at around the £20k mark. These are a reliable and well-established EV with plenty of choice in the marketplace. I've run 2 now for over 8 years and have been very satisfied. They are probably a safe bet for a novice EV'er.

Step up to under £30k and the 62kWh e+ models become possible. These have a significant boost in range for around 200 miles.
Not going to have too much of a deposit due to the Astra being category S after an accident. That with the cost of everything going up so much has taken it's toll on the monthly budget.

If a change of car isn't going to be possible, then a change of job might have to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A quick look on Autotrader doesn't show anything that can do 100miles in winter for £200/month.

If you had a sizable deposit then this will increase your options.

As others have stated, the plug-in or Granny charger as it's known, is really meant for emergency use so you'd need to have a 7kw wall box installed. (~£600-1200 depending on how far from your consumer unit it is)
Don't mind if i cannot use the car the whole year round as car sharing and taking the Skoda could be an option for winter months (that would at least cut the petrol bill down significantly). The Astra will need replaced soon anyway, so just wondering what the best option would be before we jump into anything.

·
Registered
620 Posts
1) There are few EVs available, unfortunately, partly because you're not the only one with this idea! The purchase cost will be very high, followed by fuel savings over time.

2) Do you park overnight on the drive? If so you can get a charger and recharge overnight. You will not need to charge during the day for your regular commute.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) There are few EVs available, unfortunately, partly because you're not the only one with this idea! The purchase cost will be very high, followed by fuel savings over time.

2) Do you park overnight on the drive? If so you can get a charger and recharge overnight. You will not need to charge during the day for your regular commute.
Yeah i am starting to see that with your first point. As usual i am little bit behind with the plan.

We have a driveway so am parked on that overnight, so it is right next to our house

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
359 Posts
On Autotrader with a £1k deposit there are 4 Renault Zoe's that seem to offer finance at under £200 per month. New & Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK but these seem to have an additional battery lease that was common with the earlier Zoe's. I am not familiar with how that works, but plenty of Zoe owners on here can probably chip in.

If it helps for budgeting, my electricity costs on a standard variable rate tariff with the current price cap are 4.5p/mile last month and 5.5p/mile in February (short journeys, heater on, etc.) so your equivalent "fuel costs" would be £90 - £110 per 4 weeks using these rates (28p/kWh) and significantly less if you can charge on an off-peak tariff.

I am awaiting solar panel and battery install at the moment so sticking with the SVR electricity tariffs until I can swap to a cheaper 2-tier tariff.

• Love
Reactions: IainMc

·
Registered
MG5
904 Posts
Hi, check out the MG5 great estate just a bit small then my Octavia.
You might find a few used about and more when the facelift comes out.
I do a 70 mile commute and easily get that charge into the car on my Octopus Go 4 hour slot with my Zappi EVSE 😁

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Was hoping that i could charge over night and then charge it for the 9 or so hours i am in work. Didn't know if that would be feasible or no

Happy to go with used and have spoken to the school about getting a charger fitted as it meats their environmental pledge. If the costs are right, then we could also get one at home
Recommend that you really push the school in getting a proper EV charger installed for use of all staff, not just you. Sooner or later, in the middle of winter you will be super glad of such a facility.

·
Registered
361 Posts
On Autotrader with a £1k deposit there are 4 Renault Zoe's that seem to offer finance at under £200 per month.
New & Used Cars for Sale - Auto Trader UK
At that age, assuming some battery degradation, even assuming a charger at work to get home again, a 22kw Zoe might struggle to even do 50 miles to work in winter without squeaky bum time.
Caution advised to the OP there.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts