Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
9,583 Posts
Apparently, the main aim of this enquiry is to evaluate whether changing to an EV would reduce the commute outgoings to a manageable level. Obviously, taking a like-for-like car in size, power and comfort over distance, then running an EV will be much cheaper than even an efficient ICE. The big problem is that a suitable EV will probably not even come close to the cost of a similar ICE vehicle. Almost any diesel motorway muncher will be much cheaper to buy and have zero range problems. Even considering the higher price of fuel it will probably still be the best option for this particular scenario. An ICE car that is £10k cheaper then has that sum available to subsidise the running cost of the car for the next five years before a break-even point.

The killer here is a daily need for 100 reliable miles from a cheapish EV. There is no such thing without compromising on speed, and/or charging at each end of the journey - or part way back. I agree with @HandyAndy that the best EV candidate would be a Hyundai Ioniq. An Ioniq 38 would cover this journey with ease. But they are not cheap. An Ioniq 28 is a bit less expensive but would need a sympathetic driver some days as this trip is at the limit that I would try in a Scottish winter without a small top-up somewhere.

An Ioniq 38 would actually save enough in running costs to equate with buying a cheaper diesel and paying much more in overall running costs. But wouldn't solve the original dilemma of reducing total costs. That may not be possible given the overall circumstances but at least the OP will have examined a few ways to achieve his objective.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
It does nake a difference.
Being driven at 50 to 60 most EV ranges will be a fair bit more than if they were coaxed into hitting 70.
Hills. I know a chap who has a fantastic commute where he's on a twisty and hilly part of Scotland he's getting quite a lot of regen so effectively extending his range.

Here's what you should do in my opinion.

1) edit your post where you wrote meat instead of meet, just to save the embarrassing consequences of someone finding that in the future. I'll delete this bit too so no evidence.

1) using Google maps or similar plot out your journey. Adjust things as needed to see the worst possible journey if there was a diversion of some sort. Write down the distance and add half as much again. That would be the range you would really be comfortable with.
Let's say longest diverted journey to work would be 70 miles, 105 miles is therefore a comfortable range to have to get you there safely but you would need to then charge all day to get back up to 100% (using a granny charger)

2) look at EVs that can do the range. Not wltp figures but real world and after a number of years degradation of the batteries and in winter conditions. You need to also consider the speed at which they can be charged.

3) look at your budget. Think of the kids. Consider the level of comfort you need and how safely you want to arrive home after you and the kids have had a long day at the school.
I'm assuming it's 5 days a week with both kids so look at the possibilities of making sure there is no difference in having a safe range on the Friday when traffic might be at its worse.

4) look at some of the suggestions made.
Will an EV that did just over 100 miles new be any good to you as a 3 or 4 year old car, I would think not. Look at both new and secondhand prices and ask as many questions as you need to.

My suggestion of the Astra hybrid which is a new car was based on what I would buy if in your position. Totally EV solutions might be a Corsa, secondhand. Even in winter you'd have a 160 mile range but it might be considered too small.

Sorry if you found any responses rude.
I read everything and found nothing rude or condescending, just different ways of pointing things out.
The worst you could do is buy something that ended up not being really useable which is a hard and expensive lesson learned.

Hopefully you're getting some valuable points of view from every respondent and making good use of the opinions but as someone just mentioned you may have to invest more than you at first thought.
Is the written off Astra going to provide enough money for a decent deposit to make pcp an option?
Could leasing be an option?
How about moving property?

Best of luck with finding the best solution.

Gaz
Thanks for all the advice.

I have found plenty to think about. My main takeaway points just now are that i need to raise my budget and treat the cars in a more communal way than we do just now.

A more realistic approach may be to use the EV in the summer/better month and then take the ICE in the winter/worse months. Hopefully that can make some difference.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.

I have found plenty to think about. My main takeaway points just now are that i need to raise my budget and treat the cars in a more communal way than we do just now.

A more realistic approach may be to use the EV in the summer/better month and then take the ICE in the winter/worse months. Hopefully that can make some difference.
With the possibility of using the ICE for the worst days, compare the cost of Ioniq 28 Vs 38 (or other 30&40 kWh options if you don't like the Ioniq) to decide if the cheaper car is worth having. Assume 2-3 months a year of an extra £200 in energy price to cover the commute* if you have to use the ICE.

* If you can charge the car at your school, this disappears, so the extra cost is just potential cost

·
Registered
548 Posts
A new Zoe or Leaf could do the job but between the Leaf looks and Chademo, and the zero ncap from Renault skimping on airbags and safety tech I couldn't suggest them to anyone, especially with the Kona/Niro EV/MGZS/Fiat 500/ID.3 being all better options at the price point.

The Octopus Go only works in specific situations, if I personally had my house using the peak having a wife and two kids it would cost an absolute bomb. So whilst you save on EV you lose out on house running costs.
With the mileage he's doing something like Go will likely easily work out beneficial.

Moving washing/dishwasher/tumble dryer loads to the evening is also very easy, as a family we've learnt the routine of always having a wash on an evening, dry the next day or tumble dry the following evening. Dishwasher on when it's full.

Most other usage is just low demand.

You're right about Chademo but it's not going anywhere for now. The suggestions you've made are fine car wise but you're increasing the budget yet again and the guy started off with a £200 budget. It's easy to say buy a 30k car, we're trying to give a more realistic view based on his original budget.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Perhaps turn the equation on its head.
You say the Octavia is new so won't be changing- why not?
What does your wife use it for?
Is it worth looking at selling that (prices are high so likely you're not going to lose much, if anything).
Put that money towards a long range mg5 or zs (72kw battery will take care of commute and all family stuff).
Get a small economical ICE, pre 2017 so no tax and cheap petrol for your wife to do her thing, presumably as you're taking the kids to school she doesn't need the space.
Worth a thought, no?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Please Mr @IainMc, explain what it is that is making your decision so difficult - if you haven't got either £400 and up a month just to lease a 40kwh or greater EV, or similiar to buy one on HP, or you're prepared to go heavily into debt, then the bottom line is that no matter what you'd like, you can't afford one. It isn't personal, it isn't fair, but EVs are currently a rich mans game unless you only dawdle down to the shops, or you can afford to spend an hour a day having a charge up.

I didn't mean to be rude so much, but these sorts of threads can go on for months and noone has the balls to tell it how it is - and you need to have that wake up call put bluntly in front of you if you're not going to go mad trying to acheive the unacheivable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You are revealling a lot about yourself, Jeffrey, and little about the issue. You are clearly angry about something. The opening poster realised what you are saying on the first page of this thread.

We all know it's an expensive problem and isn't getting any easier in this economic crisis. As a society I think 2022-3 is going to be a time when we need to support each other, instead of letting the pain of our economic circumstances spill out into anger and envy.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I really really don't understand why you can't seem to get what I'm saying - I'm not angry; dissapointed maybe, and definitely confused in trying to understand what problem the OP is actually trying to get to the bottom of. I'm just trying to point out that there isn't some devilishly complicated formula to buying an EV - and trying to simplify that as best as I could - FWIW, I even looked up the appropriate ads on AT to give examples above. If that isn't getting through, I'm going to give up - but please don't make this about any potential issues I may have - if you don't agree with the facts I'm giving, then by all means dispute them, but am I actually wrong ?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
To some extent it's better to realise something is out of reach than to have it snatched away at the last minute.
Having one's bubble burst might not be something to wish for but better that than suddenly find time and opportunities have passed you by.
Sometimes people don't give quite enough detail and sometimes they give more than needed to answer a question and with the best will in the world people sometimes answer without fully appreciating the details.

Sometimes having the front to say what some won't is the right thing to do sometimes it's not.
Often the best advice gets overlooked by people not wanting a blunt answer even though it might be the best thing for them in the circumstances.

The best thing about a forum like this is that different opinions can be had for the sake of reading them. All opinion should be taken with an understanding that you don't know the person, how they talk, how they write and what might seem kind and fair to some might come across as rude to others. We are in our own spaces, not in a meeting somewhere and the written word is not always read with the writers intentions in mind.

HTH

Gaz

·
Registered
355 Posts
The OP just came here to look for advice about the pros/cons of buying an EV and if it would work for his circumstances.
A lot of the stuff that's been argued about hasn't been instigated by him, in fact he's been openly thankful and repeatedly offers more information to help people to help him.
He doesn't come across as vague or not willing to be open to ideas and is obviously able to work things out for himself.
For some reason he's been met with a certain amount of aggression, which has been uncalled for imo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never played with that, does it use real world figures or base its calculations on manufacturers BS?
Real world, based on data from users (so “crowd-sourced” - though depending on model the size of the crowd might be quite small).

For some cars you can also link it to car live usage so that it can calibrate even more accurately.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
The OP just came here to look for advice about the pros/cons of buying an EV and if it would work for his circumstances.
A lot of the stuff that's been argued about hasn't been instigated by him, in fact he's been openly thankful and repeatedly offers more information to help people to help him.
He doesn't come across as vague or not willing to be open to ideas and is obviously able to work things out for himself.
For some reason he's been met with a certain amount of aggression, which has been uncalled for imo.
I assume you're pointing this at me, so please have the decency to show me where my answers have been either aggresive or rude, as oposed to just "to the point" and actually helpfull in trying to cut through the BS that seems to be wide-spread out in the real world.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I assume you're pointing this at me, so please have the decency to show me where my answers have been either aggresive or rude, as oposed to just "to the point" and actually helpfull in trying to cut through the BS that seems to be wide-spread out in the real world.
As a matter of fact, yes it was.
Your opening "contribution" was to assume as the OP was a teacher and therefore had a lot of money to spend and why were we having the conversation in the first place.
Then you went on in your next post to point out he was a teacher, not a child. (when he had done absolutely nothing that pointed to him acting childishly).
You appear to have taken an instant dislike to him.
The guy came here for help.
You come across as unfriendly, perhaps you just don't realise that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Post #97 you say you meant to be rude.

Post #134 you say you weren't rude.

Did your teachers at school give you loads of detentions or something?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Pointing fingers and bickering isn't helping the OPs cause in any way.

Please can we all just let it lie.
Jeffrey had a point, it was made.
Some thought he was a bit rude but then it was mentioned that a number of people were rude which I imagine was directed at me.

At the end of the day the OP has enough to be thinking about and I hope he can use the existing thread to ask further questions as I've suggested.

Can we not donald the thread and just accept that we all say things that some might not like but we are all grown up enough to see past it, move on and offer help to the OP without being like a disruptive class of children where notes are being passed back and forth, Chinese burns ensue and we all learn fuck all.

Gaz

Reactions: jmacneil and IainMc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Scotland? You are in luck, interest-free loan from gov to help you fund your EV purchase
I was going to post about the EST loan but thought I would quickly check no one else had already. Worth having a look into it as could be a good way to finance. There has been a small amount of discussion about it on the forum including this thread:

Scottish Electric Vehicle Loan wait time tracker

You used to be able to get a loan for new vehicles too but think that's disappeared with the government removing the plug in grant.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
@CHERYLWARD
Your opening "contribution" was to assume as the OP was a teacher and therefore had a lot of money to spend and why were we having the conversation in the first place.
Then you went on in your next post to point out he was a teacher, not a child. (when he had done absolutely nothing that pointed to him acting childishly).
You appear to have taken an instant dislike to him.
I don't want to, as @Peirpoint has suggested, derail the topic - but I'm a bit aggrieved that you seem to have completely misread me, and then started saying stuff about me that actually isn't true. My opening contribution was made on the assumption that as a teacher, the OP would be paid relatively well, and would also have been able to research the very basics of the EV landscape, and thus I was asking what actually was the point of the discussion, not to dismiss it, but to literally try to find out what was the core issue that he has in trying to answer his question - a question that in fact to my mind actually needed explaining more. And your comment about my next point was a classic example of taking words out of a sentence rather than keeping them in context - I didn't say he was acting child like, I was saying that as an adult teacher, he should find some straight forward talking both acceptable, and preferable, in a discussion about wether he could use an EV or not. Every post I've written was trying to say that he needed to concentrate on wether he can afford an EV, not wether he would like one - and I then even pointed out the autotrader cars that he should be looking at at the budget end of the market, but that would do his commute.
I gave a lot of advice, both financial and vehicle wise, and yet that seems to have been totally ignored for some reason.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts