Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm Kamil and I'm new at the forum. I'm just considering buying the Ampera. I have seen one of the car which is near me in scotland. Can you tell me is the servise history of this car is ok coz I'm not sur. Any advice welcome. Thank you
20200928_213911.jpg
20200928_213911.jpg
20200928_213843.jpg
20200928_213911.jpg
20200928_213911.jpg

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Does seem to have had rather a lot of charge ports replaced! I've only had one, at 3 years old on my 2012, just after I bought it. The design changed at some stage, as there was deffo a design flaw in the first version. Mine failed with a short circuit inside it, I think they cracked a bit & water got in.

The rubbery seal is badly designed; any time you charge when it's raining, that rubbery cup collects water. If you fail to dry this after the charge, and simply shut the flap, you're pushing a load of water under some slight pressure right into the electrical pins region! Asking for trouble, and may be why 4 replacements were needed. I always carefully dry the inside of the entire flap area, seals, metal bits, after a rainy charge, before closing the flap. I also clip a largeish, stiff polythene bag onto the charge handle to act as a tent to deflect as much water as poss away from the charging handle & entire flap area. Dunno if this is needed, but it makes me feel better & more confident that I won't get a repeat failure! 2nd charge socket has lasted 5 years now.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. If you buy it, make sure it has a grill fitted to protect the radiator behind front numberplate - this is unprotected, = expensive fix if it gets holed by a stone. Many have holed. Including mine, before I bought it. DIY plans on here to make & fit your own grille. DIY kit available on eBay if the door-handle buttons don't lock/unlock the car, so don't worry about that (but do use it to knock a few quid off!).

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You need an annual service or every 20000 miles which ever comes first done by an authorised Ampera dealer the 5 service should have a battery coolant change.
Has the service in 2016 been done? See if the servicebook has been stamped.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,649 Posts
Not wanting to give any recommendations for or against but it is an early Ampera MY2012A but registered in December 2014 so will have been sitting for a couple of years unsold. Bad points are that it will be missing some 'Nice to haves' and slightly less available battery capacity but on the plus side, if it has been serviced in accordance to the schedule (check the service handbook), it will still be under Vauxhall's 8 year 100,000 mile Voltec warranty though it might take some hassling with a dealership to get things fixed under that warranty. Where in Scotland are you? There are only a couple of authorised Ampera dealerships in Scotland, Peter Vardy in Edinburgh Seafield (this is the one that I used to use and would not take a car back there ever again. or Arnold Clark in Glasgow (seems to be a few stories going about where someone was recommended work done on their car for its MOT that was not required and VOSA are investigating). There are now a few HEVRA garages in Scotland.

·
Registered
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s
347 Posts
This is currently advertised here on Speak EV, might be worth considering.

Reactions: Kzaslon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does seem to have had rather a lot of charge ports replaced! I've only had one, at 3 years old on my 2012, just after I bought it. The design changed at some stage, as there was deffo a design flaw in the first version. Mine failed with a short circuit inside it, I think they cracked a bit & water got in.

The rubbery seal is badly designed; any time you charge when it's raining, that rubbery cup collects water. If you fail to dry this after the charge, and simply shut the flap, you're pushing a load of water under some slight pressure right into the electrical pins region! Asking for trouble, and may be why 4 replacements were needed. I always carefully dry the inside of the entire flap area, seals, metal bits, after a rainy charge, before closing the flap. I also clip a largeish, stiff polythene bag onto the charge handle to act as a tent to deflect as much water as poss away from the charging handle & entire flap area. Dunno if this is needed, but it makes me feel better & more confident that I won't get a repeat failure! 2nd charge socket has lasted 5 years now.

I wouldn't worry about it myself. If you buy it, make sure it has a grill fitted to protect the radiator behind front numberplate - this is unprotected, = expensive fix if it gets holed by a stone. Many have holed. Including mine, before I bought it. DIY plans on here to make & fit your own grille. DIY kit available on eBay if the door-handle buttons don't lock/unlock the car, so don't worry about that (but do use it to knock a few quid off!).
Thanks very much for that. There is no radiator protection at the front. And the buttons I have been told that thay are switched off

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hmmm you can switch off all except the drivers door, they are controlled from the menus on the centre console. Its likely some do not work, normal problem. Radiator grill usually means not visited the forum, most of us have fitted some form of protection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks very much for that. There is no radiator protection at the front. And the buttons I have been told that thay are
Hmmm you can switch off all except the drivers door, they are controlled from the menus on the centre console. Its likely some do not work, normal problem. Radiator grill usually means not visited the forum, most of us have fitted some form of protection.
Great. Thank you. Its very useful to know. Ill try to look for something yonger with less millage. I wase thinking about this one. They are quite far away from Edinburgh though.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The one in the classifieds is the same model year (MY12). Both are out of the 8 year Voltec warranty.
Might be worth contacting the seller, there are companies that will transport cars about the country.
I think @richtrash knows some or at least can give an idea of the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one in the classifieds is the same model year (MY12). Both are out of the 8 year Voltec warranty.
Might be worth contacting the seller, there are companies that will transport cars about the country.
I think @richtrash knows some or at least can give an idea of the price.
[/QUOTE
Ho you can tell that is MY12 make?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
There were 3 different versions imported
The Model Year can be identified by the VIN number (see the Guide to buying an Ampera to decode the VIN)
There are other methods as well and subtle differences. Each model year had 2 main versions the Positiv (no SatNav and no Bose sound) and the Electron (SatNav+Bose) there were a few Earth models - cloth seats I think - among the MY12's according to "How many are left" there were 13 earth model taxed.

MY2012 (Model year 2012) were the first ones made 2011/2012 (GM Model years run august to august I think)
These have a pouch between the rear seats and cupholders in the back running the length of the car. This model does not have the Power Meter in the driver information centre (DIC) in front of the driver.
The MY12's were sold from 2012 to 2015 (when the last ones went for sale) so its possible to buy a 15 plate MY12 made in 2011 which still has warranty.
4 were registered in 2011 - test cars?

MY2013 Imported 2012/2013. These have a Powermeter in the DIC, Cupholders going across the car in the rear and an armrest/box between the rear seats. Its possible the drive software has been slightly updated.
The MY13 seem to have been sold from 2013 to 2015, a lot were sold in 2014 in the sell off to reduce stock (and so they did not need to keep charging them!)

MY2014 probably imported 2013 and all seem to have a 13 plate, these were Vauxhall test cars it appears and there are very few perhaps 1/2 dozen or so, at least 2 have appeared with forum users.
Same as the MY13 except - the charge cover is manual not automatic. The seats are a single colour (no white or red insert) , different Satnav and supposably can be updated, apparently the car can receive over the air updates. has lane recognition and a few other bits that the others do not. - see the drivers manual where you find some things the 12/13 do not have !

Reactions: Kzaslon

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
That sort of sums up VX - Not a clue what they were selling.
The Ampera (IMO) just happened to be the best car Vauxhall never made!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Whats to know? 31,000 miles, flat battery - but dealers rarely charge the cars :( - MY13 and as on a 62 plate must have been sold as it arrived ;) , out of warranty so dealer warranty only. One thing they haven't shown is the lifetime MPG. Less than 100 miles December to August (the MOT dates) so been sitting on a dealer LOT I guess.

There is one on autotrader with lifetime 40mpg, so that's never been charged in its life, just used to get round Congestion charge/car tax /BIK. London so congestion charge mainly, sad really.
1601389831469.png

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you think the one from Glyndonian will be better? What is his model MY12 from 2011/2012 or the one from 2012/2013? There is no picture of the rear seats and the armrest.
It had so many previous owners. I'm not sure what to think

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
@Glyndonian has put the model year in the title of the thread. :)
I've no idea whats the best one around, but at least with that one you can ask the owner not a salesman about it.

For Autotrader, check the images - you can usually tell the MY from the pictures of the back seat. If your lucky they have a photo of the centre screen showing the lifetime mpg, you can work this backwards to get an idea of amount of EV miles to ICE miles, there is a thread on here with the calculation I recall. Then look at mileage and registration, Anything over 100,000 miles is out of warranty, then 8 years - so 13 plate and later have some warranty possibility. Check the service history - Must be every 20,000 miles or yearly which ever is first and by an Ampera Service Garage not any old garage.
Its all down to you, an out of warranty one can be serviced by one of the HEVRA garages or your local mechanic if they do EV's, Its a type of Astra with some common parts, the engine is the same as the 1.4 corsa. Servicing is count the tires, fill the wash bottle and change the pollen filter then change the oil in the ICE every 2 years.

They are great cars, drive really well and are cheap to run. Mine will go in the end as I need 5 seats for when my son and family come to visit but this will be in year or two due to the current pandemic. I may just keep it and run it into the ground and hire a 5 seat EV when needed.:unsure:

Reactions: BurningNaturalGas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Glyndonian has put the model year in the title of the thread. :)
I've no idea whats the best one around, but at least with that one you can ask the owner not a salesman about it.

For Autotrader, check the images - you can usually tell the MY from the pictures of the back seat. If your lucky they have a photo of the centre screen showing the lifetime mpg, you can work this backwards to get an idea of amount of EV miles to ICE miles, there is a thread on here with the calculation I recall. Then look at mileage and registration, Anything over 100,000 miles is out of warranty, then 8 years - so 13 plate and later have some warranty possibility. Check the service history - Must be every 20,000 miles or yearly which ever is first and by an Ampera Service Garage not any old garage.
Its all down to you, an out of warranty one can be serviced by one of the HEVRA garages or your local mechanic if they do EV's, Its a type of Astra with some common parts, the engine is the same as the 1.4 corsa. Servicing is count the tires, fill the wash bottle and change the pollen filter then change the oil in the ICE every 2 years.

They are great cars, drive really well and are cheap to run. Mine will go in the end as I need 5 seats for when my son and family come to visit but this will be in year or two due to the current pandemic. I may just keep it and run it into the ground and hire a 5 seat EV when needed.:unsure:
I'll ask him and find out. Thank you very much for all the info and help. I hope I'll find one finally.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts