Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have masochistic tendencies!

Spent over 2 hrs last night on Zap Map, Open Charge Map and Charge Map and just get more ambiguous or conflicting information:confused:.

Have a meeting near Trafalgar square this morning and "bought" the Congestion Charge free exemption and have Pod Point, C.M/Polar cards only. Source London didn't arrive in time (under new ownership):rolleyes:.

I also have the ParkRight App which says electric vehicles park for free in Westminster!?

Can anyone confirm that is true?

Is finding a type 2 chargepoint in walking distance of a major tourist centre in London flogging a dead horse?

Any local knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Fank yoo:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'd head over to the LSE as there's a couple of working charge points over there. Quick walk over to Traf afterwards. Though they might not be accessible without a Source London card.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Westminster is the most EV friendly council with free parking in central London and no CC. You can park outside the Department for Transport office if you like making a statement as they have two charging posts right outside

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You can park any westminster bay for 4 hours but put a note in the window as with no tax disc they might not know you are EV and one outlander on here got ticketed.
there are several charge points round covent garden that I have found are often available but you need source east or source london cards.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update and observations... Thanks for the helpful replies.
Just as well I enjoy a challenge!

There is a 7kW double sided Source London badged CM chargepoint inside the multi story Trafalgar car park run by Q-Park. Access is tight but it really is 100m only from Trafalgar square! The park office has a Source London card however my CM card started it with £1.06 credit left from £5.00;).
The post is free to use if you are happy to pay £6 per hour for a parking space, max £36 for 24 hrs.

Already Charging was G-Wiz. Not charging nearby was a gun metal Leaf, a foreign registered Porsche Panamera slipped out of the car park on electric only as we entered , on the roads nearby I saw a Zoe.

Other than us and the four EVs previously mentioned I saw no other EVs in London in a whole day driving right in to the centre and out again unless you include brand Prius. I saw more than 40 yes fourty of those and at one point was surrounded by 3 of them in stationary traffic, all chugging away!

Without using Apps, maps and local knowledge, you would never find the type 2 chargepoints installed.
Unlike the Netherlands which have a sign on their 11kW type 2 Mennekes posts standing double charge post height with an internationally recognised picture of a plug also saying charge point (in Dutch) on it, in London they are hidden by all the passers by and traffic with bicycles using them to lock to, judging by the one my contact there knew of and pointed out on the street which was a Podpoint. An ICE taxi people carrier was parked up in the EV parking bay so that post was invisible as well as unuseable.
Whitehall is a stones throw away! If I had one I might have been tempted:D.

If Westminister is the best we have in our Capital all I can say from my limited exposure is o_O
Interesting experience though but not one I would care to repeat soon:(.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Without using Apps, maps and local knowledge, you would never find the type 2 chargepoints installed.
I've always use Google streetview to try spot the chargers beforehand so I have some idea of where they are before I turn up.

Every time I've been to central London in the last month or so I've always seen a Tesla or two parked up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always use Google streetview to try spot the chargers beforehand so I have some idea of where they are before I turn up.

Every time I've been to central London in the last month or so I've always seen a Tesla or two parked up.
Street Map does help if you already know where it is reasonably accurately I agree.
Seen half a dozen Tesla model Ss in the wild but most on Ecotricity rapids on the M40.
Couldn't believe the Prius count though, probably never out of the sight of one!

·
Registered
916 Posts

Dunno what streetview imaging is like in London,but for now here in Northern Ireland,the photos predate the charger installations!

·
Registered
89 Posts
OK Planning an attempt in late April to see a show in Covent Garden and stay overnight next door in a hotel. I wont have to charge but am interested in any updates on whether this sensible or not.
I will just need a car park. I think the westminster council car park limit to 4 hours so I ca'nt park overnight.
Can someone confirm this for me?
I'm up for an adventure ..... but is it sensible?
Maybe I should leave the car outside london and tube in?

Any thoughts welcome

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
OK Planning an attempt in late April to see a show in Covent Garden and stay overnight next door in a hotel. I wont have to charge but am interested in any updates on whether this sensible or not.
I will just need a car park. I think the westminster council car park limit to 4 hours so I ca'nt park overnight.

Any thoughts welcome
Last time I took the Model S to London, I parked at High Barnet and tubed it in for the remainder. £8 for the weekend, and free charging (you do need a SourceLondon card though, CM ones don't work, and you can't get the help desk to switch them on remotely). Have to say it was really painless.

This was arriving late on a Friday evening, and all the bays were free. However, I did the same trip before but for work, and arrived mid Sunday afternoon, and all the bays were ICE'd :(

·
Super Moderator
5,896 Posts

Any thoughts welcome
We saw Charlie and the chocolate factory just after Christmas and drove right in to Covent garden. There are several chargers and we found the second one we tried worked with our source east card. its free congestion charge but you must pre register, and free parking on any meter or charge point. You must obay the max stay time or you will get a ticket, but if you get there at around 5 you can park all night as the times finish at I think 6. That means as long as you move the car by 10 the next morning you won't get a ticket, although it would be better if you move off the charger and onto a meter when the car is full to avoid hogging it.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
... although it would be better if you move off the charger and onto a meter when the car is full to avoid hogging it.
Simple set the car to limit the charging rate to 5A :p (And yes this is a tongue in cheek suggestion)

Personally I'm torn about this. My view is if it's a parking space, not a charging bay, then the parking limits should be the definition of "hogging", not the amount of charge your car can accept or at what rate.

The PITA of car shuffling late at night (and remember @JAMES MURPHY has a Tesla) could easily be offset by stopping at a Supercharger location for breakfast in the morning on the next day, and there are plenty around.

So in this context actually the real question is "where's a good place to park in London". I've always found a car more of a liability than an asset in London, so I'm not equipped to answer ;)

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
If your parking over the weekend or bank holidays and don't mind parking slightly out of central Baynard House car park - Car parks - City of London is usually a good bet. £2.50 Sundays and Bank Holidays - its cheaper than parking in Leeds !

The pod-points have been working the last couple of times I have used Baynard House, but I have had a locked cable. I was told that PodPoint responded to a tender to replace these with units more suited to multistore/underground parking structures - I have no idea what the progress of this is @POD Point any comments?

Also I find Lincoln Inn Fields better for charging than Covent Garden.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
To avoid extending Q-park parking fees I ended up moving to and using a podpoint in Whitehall Place next to Embankment tube station. You can see Electric Car written on the ground in the centre of this shot in sunlight next to the shadow. The charge post is the small shadow. Podpoint card worked fine.
Google Maps

·
Banned
604 Posts
Train
To be honest I avoid driving in London at all costs. The public transport is good enough to make it generally not worth the hassle, at least for me.
Train fares cost a fortune. I drive to London every time. Over 200 miles for less than a pound. Cheap lunch from aldi and a free attraction for the kids and a whole day out for less than £5

·
Registered
52 Posts
If your parking over the weekend or bank holidays and don't mind parking slightly out of central Baynard House car park - Car parks - City of London is usually a good bet. £2.50 Sundays and Bank Holidays - its cheaper than parking in Leeds !

The pod-points have been working the last couple of times I have used Baynard House, but I have had a locked cable. I was told that PodPoint responded to a tender to replace these with units more suited to multistore/underground parking structures - I have no idea what the progress of this is @POD Point any comments?
Ah... I use Baynard House occasionally (it's £2.50 all Saturday after 1pm too!) and was wondering about these, they are marked offline on the Source London map but I saw mention elsewhere that one is working, is that still the case?

·
Super Moderator
5,896 Posts
Simple set the car to limit the charging rate to 5A :p (And yes this is a tongue in cheek suggestion)

Personally I'm torn about this. My view is if it's a parking space, not a charging bay, then the parking limits should be the definition of "hogging", not the amount of charge your car can accept or at what rate.

The PITA of car shuffling late at night (and remember @JAMES MURPHY has a Tesla) could easily be offset by stopping at a Supercharger location for breakfast in the morning on the next day, and there are plenty around.

So in this context actually the real question is "where's a good place to park in London". I've always found a car more of a liability than an asset in London, so I'm not equipped to answer ;)
I am not suggesting getting up at 3am to move the car, if it is still charging when you leave the theater then leave it there all night. If it has to finished then move the car to the best meter for you and then leave it there. There is no point leaving a car on a charger if it is full all you need is to go 5 mins out of your way. Moving it might save someone.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Ah... I use Baynard House occasionally (it's £2.50 all Saturday after 1pm too!) and was wondering about these, they are marked offline on the Source London map but I saw mention elsewhere that one is working, is that still the case?
They should be working - Live Availability Map - POD Point Ltd pod-point map is better. But it can also be unreliable. If the units loose signal and their last ping was "OK" the map still reports them as online. Its probably me who mentioned they were working :p, I have moaned quite a lot at pod point.

I try and keep plugshare updated when I use them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts