Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have a really bizarre problem here. Twice in the last six months my home router has either crashed, been rebooted, or we've lost the internet.
When this happens, we are unable to charge the car unless we turn off the main electricity feed into the house and back on again. I assume in order to reboot the home charger.

The second time it did it, we didn't notice until next morning when the car was still flat. Luckily I'm working from home, but the mrs isn't. Imagine the embarassement of having to explain to her boss why she can't come into work because the internet was down.

It seems very strange that the car won't charge without an internet connection.

any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,527 Posts
What is the point of "smart chargers"? There should be a switch in the supply to the charger so you don't have to switch everything in the house off.
Also, thanks for the warning to other potential customers.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
What is the point of "smart chargers"?
It allows you the ability to monitor your usage. This should help you to be mindful of spending similar to a smart meter.
It also gives you the ability to set timers to start and end a session at times where you may get discounted energy.
Finally, it gives the grid the ability to monitor your charging in relation to demand on the supply. It's not used right now but in future they will be able to briefly slow down or pause your charging at a time where there is a sudden spike in demand, easing the load and allowing them to avoid potential issues interrupting everyone's electricity supply. If you charge overnight for example it's not really important if you finish charging at 4AM or slightly delayed to 4:10AM for example.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi All,

Have a really bizarre problem here. Twice in the last six months my home router has either crashed, been rebooted, or we've lost the internet.
When this happens, we are unable to charge the car unless we turn off the main electricity feed into the house and back on again. I assume in order to reboot the home charger.

The second time it did it, we didn't notice until next morning when the car was still flat. Luckily I'm working from home, but the mrs isn't. Imagine the embarassement of having to explain to her boss why she can't come into work because the internet was down.

It seems very strange that the car won't charge without an internet connection.

any ideas?

Thanks
Mine is connected to its own mini consumer unit so can be turned off without affecting the rest of the house.

The smart features don't work for me so I always charge using boost mode and use the car's timer to schedule charging. This doesn't need an internet connection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is connected to its own mini consumer unit so can be turned off without affecting the rest of the house.

The smart features don't work for me so I always charge using boost mode and use the car's timer to schedule charging. This doesn't need an internet connection.
Somethings wrong with mine then, as when there's no internet, boost mode doesn't even work.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,527 Posts
It allows you the ability to monitor your usage. This should help you to be mindful of spending similar to a smart meter.
It also gives you the ability to set timers to start and end a session at times where you may get discounted energy.
Finally, it gives the grid the ability to monitor your charging in relation to demand on the supply. It's not used right now but in future they will be able to briefly slow down or pause your charging at a time where there is a sudden spike in demand, easing the load and allowing them to avoid potential issues interrupting everyone's electricity supply. If you charge overnight for example it's not really important if you finish charging at 4AM or slightly delayed to 4:10AM for example.
If you have E7 electricity for charging at night, there is no need to be "mindful". It would be like not filling up at a pump with an ICE car.
With Nissan Leaf, which had its own timer to set charging for 7 hours at night there is no need for an external timer.
As for the grid deciding when I can charge my car - no thanks.
Sorry though, I did know what smart chargers were supposed to do, but I don't need one ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
The one person that can answer this for certain is @Mike Schooling

I can't believe that the internet outage scenario was not considered.
So there is something we call 'home alone' mode which covers this scenario.

Basically, with no internet the charger will either revert to full power, or a known schedule (if programmed).

Boost is an override at all times.

It is possible that either:

1.The device is not being optimised (it should be flashing purple twice with no internet, if flashing purple once then its connected but not being optimised. It will still boost in this scenario.

2. The load curtailment (fuse protection) feature is misconfigured (or acting correctly if there are high loads in the house!) which limits power to the car. this would also effect boost.

If you can pop your details including device id from the sticker on the side to [email protected] we can have a proper look.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,499 Posts
A comprehensive and helpful answer. (y) I hope that you both get your issues resolved. 🤞

1 - 10 of 10 Posts