Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the EV scene. Just recently had a Rolec type 2,7.2kW, 5m tethered charger installed in my driveway but the cable is too short.

What are the best options for me to change it to a 10m type 2 tethered cable? I got a quote from the company that installed it and it’s £200, which I find pretty steep.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated please. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Is it really that simple? Are there any tutorial videos or PDF diagrams to increase my confidence levels doing it myself?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Thank you. Is it really that simple? Are there any tutorial videos or PDF diagrams to increase my confidence levels doing it myself?
It really is that simple.

Isolate power to the charge point, and test to be absolutely sure the power is off within the charge point after removing the cover, and before touching anything.

Take a photo of the wiring under the cover for reference.

Remove the existing charge cable, noting the connections (there will be four conductors, PE, L and N, plus a thinner Control Pilot wire).

Remove the disconnected cable from the case, by unscrewing the cable gland and any internal strain relief clamp.

Fit the new cable the same way as the cable that's been removed, and connect it up exactly as the old cable was wired. The PE, L and N wires will be exactly the same colours, yellow/green, brown and blue, but the thinner Control Pilot wire may be a different colour, but this doesn't matter.

Make sure all the connections are tight and that there is no bare conductor showing, then replace the cover, turn on the power and test to ensure that the new cable works OK.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much, that is really appreciated :)
just need to find a good deal for the 10m cable
any tips what to do with the remaining 5m cable after the swap?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sell on eBay, even advertise here.
There are lots of folks with type 1 cars and tethered chargers who will need a type 2 lead when they change cars.
New cars are type 2

Edit
Just had a look in the classifieds, there was one, a type 1,being offered at £75. No idea if it sold or what it went for. The type 2 is more saleable IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts