Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back a bloke knocked at my door and offered to install a charging point free of charge.

I knew that I was possibly interested in getting an EV at some point in the future so I was happy to let them install. At this point I naïvely assumed that all cars used the same type of charger and as they didn't mention any choices I didn't query it.

The came a week later and installed a pod point 3.6kwatt charger with what I now know as a type 1 connector

Moved on a bit now and we have ordered an Audi A3 e-tron which needs a type 2 connector

Problem is I don't have paperwork from the installer (my fault, chucked it out) so I can't get back in touch with them

My question is, can this pod point solo 2 be converted by simply changing the connector, or is it useless and I will need to have a new unit installed to charge the Audi? Whichever way how do I go about doing this and what will the costs be?

I have tried to email pod point but as yet havent had a reply!

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
635 Posts
There will be more informed people on this forum than me. However, I believe that the cable could be swapped out for a type 2 mennekes by a qualified electrician.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It looks like you have the standard 16a tethered with a Type 1, which is the most common. As people did not know what car they may be buying they then started offering a Universal unit that had just a Type 2 socket but it was also the 32a version and you had to pay about £95-£120 for the upgrade.
You can purchase a new cable with Type 2 connector and get a qualified electrician to install it. The only issue you may have is that if the A3 e-tron has a 32a 7kW onboard charger then your home 16a unit will still only give out a maximum of 12-14 miles per hour at >7 hours, no big issue but as long as you are aware.
Check out @nuWorld Energy http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/nucharge Give Mark a call to determine exactly what you need.

Reactions: northernhunter

·
Registered
118 Posts
@northernhunter don't look to find your installer they won't be able to do a lot now it's fitted. I'll ask the guys at pod point for a price on a type 2 cable for you, very simple to change could talk you through it if you have a screwdriver. Pretty sure you will find other manufacturers that can sell it to you aswell.
When's the audi arrive???
[email protected] if you need any further help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.

Chris - got some time yet as the Audi won't be here until early next year, I'm wanted to get this sorted.

If you could get me a price from pod point that would be a great help - my father in law is an electrician, so even if I got stuck I'm sure he would know what to do

Regards

Graham

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You could change the plug, its electrically the same as the J1772 that you have. It would be more useful to upgrade the whole thing to a type two, where the lead plugs into the unit, rethar than having a tethered cable. But can your supply provie 32 amps. Take it off and sell the old device.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yeah it's a simple matter of replacing the cable to a type 2. I'm sure I seen one for sale somewhere for a about £80 with a 5m cable.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They sell an upgrade kit so you can get a cable and alter the unit to charge at 7kw - get your father in law to change the supply cable and protection at the origin - faster charging.
I'll be in contact cheers

Reactions: cgiAlexis

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks - looking at info on the Audi, it seems to suggest the fastest it can charge is from a 3.6kw charger (just over 2 hours) so I am not sure if it would accept the 7kw charge?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Can I just clear up a few things before everyone gets carried away?

Before I start I've never dismantled a Pod Point unit before *BUT* I did a lot of research before I got my Role, I've got internal photos / diagrams and I've dismantled my Rolec, so I'm not just ranting...

1) While you may be able to change the tethered lead to a socket, there are differences in the protocol controller as sockets can be unplugged (hence difference EPC's depending on if you're tethered or not.)

2) This *may* mean having to change the motherboard in the unit as it's all integrated unlike the Rolec's.

3) You can't just rip an existing unit off the wall and sell it. If you got it 'free' you signed a three year contract with OLEV to keep it on the wall and powered up!

4) You can't just upgrade a 16A unit to a 32A unit. The cable run back to the distribution board / main fuse will need to be uprated too, as will and breakers or isolators. Basically you need to start from scratch.

5) As you've had one 'free' charger, you can't have another 'free' charger.

6) I'd contact Audi and see what they can do.

All that said. E-Tron. Hmmm... nice.... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi - Not an e-tron owner yet, they won't be delivering till next year. But I have ordered last week.

Audi to be honest don't know much about the chargers - its all a bit new to them!

Chris (above) was going to speak to Pod Point, so hopefully I will get the solution from the horses mouth so to speak.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cost of this cable is:
SL-5001-1 £135.00
Delivery £20.00
VAT £31.00
TOTAL £186.00 straight from the mouth of red rum!
Not sure if you can get better online have a shop around see how you get on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Chris,

Had a look around and can't seem to find much- few I did see were about the same price.

How do I go about ordering - do I need to call pod point direct?

·
Registered
135 Posts
You said, You can't just rip an existing unit off the wall and sell it. If you got it 'free' you signed a three year contract with OLEV to keep it on the wall and powered up.
But if you Think the charging point is not safe because it has a problem ,you can remove the power for safety .
And when someone see this the company will have to stop putting the charging points in and that will be no money coming in

·
Registered
585 Posts
I suspect for the first year the installation company would have to fix your "faulty" charger, after that it'll be your problem to get it fixed. Because you have a legal contact with OLEV. Switching it off or ripping it off the wall or selling it is a breach of that contact. It won't get the installation company or OLEV into trouble.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's all to do within health and safety if a car is not safe then the company has to recall the car
If the charging point trips out and you keep resetting it then the charging point is not safe and for your safety you should remove the power to the EV charging point and set back and see what happens

1 - 20 of 42 Posts