Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

As you've probably heard the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) have given Chargemaster the go ahead to acquire Elektromotive, the parent company of Charge Your Car.

Here is what Charge Your Car customers need to know about the acquisition:

There will be no interruption in the service provided by Charge Your Car to drivers or hosts
Throughout the acquisition process and after it has concluded we will continue to provide service as normal to both drivers and hosts on our network.

We foresee that Charge Your Car and Polar will remain separate networks
Charge Your Car will continue to operate as Charge Your Car in exactly the same way as it does today. We foresee no changes to the network in the near future.

Polar Plus cards will not have access to every charge point on the Charge Your Car network
Polar Plus drivers will be unable to access charge points on the ChargePlace Scotland network. Charge Your Car drivers will continue to be able to access the ChargePlace Scotland network as normal.

Charge Your Car will continue to operate as an open network
Charge Your Car will continue to access as an open network which can be accessed with or without membership.

Charge Your Car members will not be able to access charge points on the Polar network
Charge Your Car members will not be able to access charge points on the Polar network.

Undoubtedly, you guys will have a lot of questions about this. We'll try to answer to them to the best of our ability.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does it mean for international roaming agreements?
This is something that will be discussed between the relevant parties in the coming weeks as the deal is ironed out. Sorry I don't have a solid answer for you just yet but I'll be sure to update you once we have more information.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Charge Your Car will continue to operate as an open network
Charge Your Car will continue to access as an open network which can be accessed with or without membership.

Undoubtedly, you guys will have a lot of questions about this. We'll try to answer to them to the best of our ability.
Up to this point, I have not needed to use any charging network. One day I might need to.

I did a poll on here recently, and over 70% of voters said they would prefer to use a debit/credit to pay. Around 11% said they would prefer to use a smartphone app. I draw my own conclusions from that.

I believe Shell are looking to implement charging points at their service stations. Maybe this will encourage other providers to make charge points more accessible too. More importantly, the customer will get what they want and EV take-up will be an easier decision for many.

So, my question is, why can't I just go up to a charging unit and present my debit/credit card to pay for my fuel, like one would for fuel at a petrol station?

·
Registered
773 Posts
All this complexity is just perpetuating the current insanity that is EV charging in the UK system. When will the charge point provider industry wake up and see that the business model you have built up is part of the problem rather than the solution.

The current dogs breakfast system is a monster and something that has to be destroyed in order to rebuild a charging system fit for a world of significant EV ownership. Whether this change comes from within, or via a disruptive new player, it HAS to come.

So please, please, please... sort yourselves out.

Plug in, contactless tap and go. That's all that's needed and all that's wanted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So please, please, please... sort yourselves out.

Plug in, contactless tap and go. That's all that's needed and all that's wanted.
Contactless is something we're working towards. I agree, it's the perfect solution. However it will take time. We work with (I think) nine different hardware manufacturers who all need to start the work, we need to integrate all their systems, we need to retrofit thousands of chargers with safe, encrypted card readers (the current card readers will NOT work) and we need to do all this on a slender budget. It will take time.

Unfortunately we don't have the resources of Shell or BP. So please 'please, please, please...' bear with us whilst we 'sort ourselves out'

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
@CYC could we just not have had a universal RFID card that you add credit on to with whatever means? Would the current chargers support this if OLEV set this up tomorrow with the relevant security in place? i.e. They take the risk,the charger just checks the RFID card is valid? I get the feeling there was no desire from government to see the infrastructure succeed.

·
9,719 Posts
@CYC could we just not have had a universal RFID card that you add credit on to with whatever means? Would the current chargers support this if OLEV set this up tomorrow with the relevant security in place? i.e. They take the risk,the charger just checks the RFID card is valid? I get the feeling there was no desire from government to see the infrastructure succeed.
The government is hands off, its for the industry and the market to decide.

A roaming protocol built on OCPP exists - Open Clearing House Protocol (OCHP) | The free international standard for e-mobility interoperability

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Contactless is something we're working towards. I agree, it's the perfect solution. .....

Unfortunately we don't have the resources of Shell or BP. So please 'please, please, please...' bear with us whilst we 'sort ourselves out'
How is moving away from an RFID system to an app based system moving towards contactless? Surely the technology/hardware for contactless is nearer to RFID than it is to app based? Or do you acknowledge that moving away from RFID to app based was a mistake, and now you are going back to the card-based systems?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
How is moving away from an RFID system to an app based system moving towards contactless? Surely the technology/hardware for contactless is nearer to RFID than it is to app based? Or do you acknowledge that moving away from RFID to app based was a mistake, and now you are going back to the card-based systems?
I wasn't aware that CYC had moved away from RFID cards. I do use CYC posts with an RFID card fairly frequently and have never once used an app to do that. Unless there's an Android phone with a larger screen and a keyboard, a bit like a laptop, I'll pass app only charge points by. How one's supposed to consider tapping in credit card details, passwords that do not show up on a tiny screen on a freezing night in the middle of nowhere with a patchy mobile connection is nothing short of lunacy.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I wasn't aware that CYC had moved away from RFID cards. .
I should have said the industry in general appears to be moving away from RFID to app based. I don't have hands-on experience of cyc chargers, so I apologise if my assumption, based on what other suppliers are saying, was incorrect in relation to cyc specifically.

That said, in the opening post, there was a suggestion that you might be penalised for using RFID instead of the app...
...free to sign up to via the app or for £20 per year if you opt for the RFID card access method.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
See where you're coming from. I've got one of their early cards for life so do not have to renew it annually (think it was only £10 too!) Naturally I tend to seek out CYC posts over app based ones. And if that's not said, we'll have app based charging forced totally. Ugh at the thought!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
From the cyc website...

"EV driver > How it works...

Step 1:
Download the free app
Use the app while on the go to locate a charge point, plan a route, check availability and tariffs, start, stop and pay for charging on all app-enabled charge points. Download free from the App Store or Google play."

Charge Your Car - EV driver > How it works

Step 3 does mention RFID cards, but I would still venture to suggest that the app-based route is their 'preferred' route.

·
9,719 Posts
Step 3 does mention RFID cards, but I would still venture to suggest that the app-based route is their 'preferred' route.
Stop assuming, that is not the case. You have the option of either paying £20 for an RFID or using the app for free. Its as simple as that. The app does not work if either you or the charge point have poor signal and for that reason I carry the RFID, I missed out on the lifetime cars by about a month :(

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Stop assuming, that is not the case.
Okay, if you have first-hand knowledge from cyc, then I accept that.

However, I do think it's a reasonable assumption considering that Step 1 only mentions the app and not the RFID card, and the card doesn't get mentioned until Step 3.

If Step 1 had said EITHER download the app OR purchase an RFID card, then I would not have made the assumption.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts