Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone .We really need your help- we booked our short holiday to Paignton ,Devon and when planning the route on Carwings this is what comes up and it scares me as it means we cannot use our Leaf and may have to rent a car . Need your help ASAP .

Is there anyone familiar with this route and charging availability or any other way to get from WD6 to TQ46HS with Nissan Leaf and enough fast chargers on the way? We don't mind what roads to take or how many times to stop as long as we can get there in one day !
I did contact Nissan Carwings Support and they confirmed that this map is accurate ):

Screen Shot 2014-08-05 at 16.25.05.png

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Looking at the Ecotricity map http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway the trip should be do-able in a Leaf given the number of chargers on the M4 and M5, even allowing for some being out of action.

Will you have a charger available at your destination? Will you have sufficient range to tour around once you get there? See also https://www.zap-map.com/live/#y=53.25207/x=-2.05994/z=7 to explore charger options in the area.

You are looking at around 4 rapid charges for the trip each way adding at least 2 hours to your journey time. I probably would not want to do that in the Leaf if it was with my family but would attempt it on my own.

If you decide to hire a car, have a look at Easy Car Club where you can hire cars from nearby owners usually much more cheaply than a car rental company.
Their website is on https://carclub.easycar.com/

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
As mentioned, loads of ecotricity charging available to cover the odd outage. Your options run out after Exeter. I think the Nissan garage in Exeter has a rapid too (not used personally). Next rapid is at the Nissan dealer in Plymouth.

If you have 7kW and a chargemaster card/app you have ASDAs in Paignton and Torquay to top up and not forgetting zcw locations such as dartington hall nearby in Totnes which are well worth a visit.

Definitely LEAF'able if you have the time and patience. If you're planning on venturing further into Cornwall on daytrips that might require some careful planning & patience.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Smartie and Paul -I have chargemaster ,ecotricity and source east cards .
Checked zapmap and some points don't work on one side of the motorway .

We are just staying in one place .

It is a very hard decision -I personally would love to take a Leaf and go for it but we are taking 3 young children aged 6 to 12 and kind of worried as we never done such a long trip in Leaf

I just found out ,after calling Nissan CARWINGS again ,that if Leaf owner needs ICE car, a local Nissan dealers will provide one for up to 2 weeks .Will check it out .

If it doesn't work out ,will take our beautiful Leaf and hope for the best .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take the Leaf!! We just did a 665 mile last week and loved it! It's great fun, bit of an adventure and actually quite relaxing taking a few breaks along the way. If you can charge at your destination then even better.
Just make sure you actually get out and stretch your legs at each rapid and you will be surprised how little time you have to pop to the loo etc! In theory the kids will be less bored as they can get out of the car every hour or so. I kept to a rule of thumb of 50ish miles between charges that way each charge is quicker and you have a bit of contingency if one is down.
Go for it!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
IMO the most sensible route is not the one on Carwings (it seldom is!!!). I would go:

Borehamwood, Winchester M3 Services (Ecotricity), Wincanton (Nissan dealer), Exeter (Ecotricity with Nissan dealer backup), Paignton

Only 3 or 4 stops to charge. Legs are then 74, 61, 61, 25 miles (approx).

That route it is an easy trip if you keep your speed down on the M25/M3 but you could always get a quick 10 min top up at the Heston or Beaconsfield rapids for piece of mind.

Now the 6 million dollar question... Leaf or ICE?

Even though this is quite an easy trip in the Leaf are you sure you want to do that much hanging around waiting to charge with 3 kids to keep happy? What if there is a queue or a charger is occupied by a Tesla wanting a 2hr charge? What if one of the chargers fail? Are you prepared to accept the potentially hours of delay to get flat-bedded to the next location... and what if it is Wincanton and the dealer is then closed?

I realise that this is looking at it in a rather negative light but preparing for the worst is no bad thing when you are talking about your family holiday and although unlikely none of those things are out of the question.

I would gladly do it in the Leaf if I was on my own and had plenty of time to spare if it went pear-shaped but you will have your family with you... do you really want the potential hassle and inevitable worry?

I would say take the ICE. The Leaf is a great car and is perfectly capable of long trips like this but it requires flexibility, planning and time. I say use the Leaf for what it is good at... shorter trips... take the ICE and leave the hassles and worries behind for the holiday :)

If you fancy meeting up for a coffee when you are down let me know :)

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@GBEV -I added it to the channels . How does it work ?

Looks like it will be Leaf as our local dealer does not want to loan the car -" you did not buy the car from us so we are not going to give you a loan -go to your Scottish dealer and ask them for the car " I was so shocked with the attitude -simple "sorry we cannot help you "would be enough but no he had to rub it in and question me why I did not buy a car from them ...

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Paul_Churchley Thank you so much for the detailed route - sounds doable and perhaps if we leave very early we should be at our destination in 6-8 hours ,including possible hiccups! Once we get there we could do with a nice coffee :)

But truly none wiser -waiting to hear from Carwings CS as they are not happy that we could not get the car from Nissan dealers

-real options we have are
1. Take leaf
2. Rent a decent size car @ around £200 plus petrol
3.- We still MAY get a loan car from Nissan but would not hold my breath....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry, I hadn't grasped that you would be renting a car...

That might make the potential hassles worthwhile providing you have somewhere to charge when you arrive. If nothing goes wrong it should be an easy trip... and FREE except for the extra coffee and food at the various charging stops!!!

Don't rely on Asda Paignton... it is almost constantly ICEd (next to staff entrance so staff park there!) and didn't even work the last time I was there. :(

There is a Best Western in Paignton with charging. If I were going to Paignton and needed overnight accommodation I would stay there as it has ZeroNet charging ;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Reactions: MALINI NITAI

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take the Leaf!! We just did a 665 mile last week and loved it! It's great fun, bit of an adventure and actually quite relaxing taking a few breaks along the way. If you can charge at your destination then even better.
Just make sure you actually get out and stretch your legs at each rapid and you will be surprised how little time you have to pop to the loo etc! In theory the kids will be less bored as they can get out of the car every hour or so. I kept to a rule of thumb of 50ish miles between charges that way each charge is quicker and you have a bit of contingency if one is down.
Go for it!
Sounds actually quite fun :)Thank you !

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I hadn't grasped that you would be renting a car...

That might make the potential hassles worthwhile providing you have somewhere to charge when you arrive. If nothing goes wrong it should be an easy trip... and FREE except for the extra coffee and food at the various charging stops!!!

Don't rely on Asda Paignton... it is almost constantly ICEd (next to staff entrance so staff park there!) and didn't even work the last time I was there. :(

There is a Best Western in Paignton with charging. If I were going to Paignton and needed overnight accommodation I would stay there as it has ZeroNet charging ;)
Staying @Waterside holiday park and I know what you mean with the cost of coffees and stuff to eat on the way ! Who owns Asda 's charger ?

Will Nissan dealer let us charge or do I need to call them first ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Actually, based on @Paul_Churchley's itinerary, I'd take the Leaf - it doesn't seem bad at all. Stopping a couple of times for the kids to let off steam is definitely a good thing (especially if your kids are anything like mine were...).

In addition to "safety" stops at Beaconsfield or Heston, you could always keep Fleet in mind if you find you're running a bit close. Fleet to Wincanton would be a struggle, I think, so you'd still need to go via Winchester.

I did North Herts to Southampton a few weeks ago with 2 stops - with my wife. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about the stops but she found the whole journey very relaxing and was more than happy to stop for coffee and the loo. Because we're North Herts, I did home-Beaconsfield-Winchester and avoided the M25, so it took a little longer (or not, as the M25 was quite bad that day!) but it really was stress-free.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
How many days is your trip? Easycar club is showing cars available for hire from £94 for a week in August (Fiat 500) and around £144 for a larger car if you decide to rent.

Though the Leaf certainly seems doable if you and your family are willing to take the risk.

I went with the family to the Cotswolds a couple of weeks ago with the Leaf and that turned out perfect as we had charging at the destination. It only needed one on-route rapid charge though (near Oxford) which worked perfectly and with no queuing.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I would take the LEAF and set the family up to enjoy the journey as part of the holiday adventure.

I've never known children to complain about the number of stops on a journey. Getting out, stretching their legs and going to the loo are all appreciated.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is great fun... when it goes right and can be devastatingly frustrating, not to mention upsetting, when it goes wrong :)
we know it is a gamble and although a bit nervous my other half is inclined to take our Leaf ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts