Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, been lurking around for a while, thought it was time to join and say hello.

About to push the button on an ex-demo egolf with heat pump. Over-excited doesn't cover it.

Was a two horse race between a new leaf and the demo egolf. Egolf won on it's interior quality, potential re-sale value and more dog-friendly boot (leaf's is cavernous, but too much of a glory-hole which will become a mess in time)
E-pedal nearly swung it the other way, but I'd rather be in a golf missing an epedal than using an epedal missing a golf.

I'll direct other musings to the appropriate forum, but hello for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi DaveP123,

I'm also new to the EV community, and collect my new VW e-Golf tomorrow.

Although i have been driving a Nissan e-NV and Leaf for work since 2016, this is my first personal EV car.

My car ownership journey has gone from petrol, diesel, hybrid to now being full EV & i expect my future cars to all be EV from now on.

My other car is an Auris hybrid owned since 2016, which i will be giving to my dad.

Having been able to test drive the e-Golf for a few days via the MK EV Experience Centre i was pleasantly surprised with how it was (i will paste my review of those few days at the end of this message).

I have the e-Golf for 3 years and definitely looking forward to using it as much as possible in that time.

Options selected at point of order are:

• 12.3" high res. Info. Display
• Rear view camera
• Heat pump
• Winter pack
• Key-less entry and start
• Carpet mats
• Metallic Paint - Tungsten Silver

I have also had installed a 7 kw Ohme wall charger (tethered) and changed to the Octopus GO tariff for cheaper overnight rates between 1230am-0430am (5p/kWh).

I've not opted for the maintenance pack, and will do this separately. I intend to 'self insure' by setting aside x no of £'s each month to cover me for tyres, servicing etc. I will look around for any service plans though.

Anyways, i'm sure i will keep an eye out for various conversations on a regular basis and no doubt ask the odd question.

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE FOR THE MINI ESSAY.

▪︎MK EV Experience REVIEW - VW eGolf:

Chose the VW e-Golf for a 4 day trial. I have this car on order so wanted to test it with some longer trips. Travelled down from West Yorkshire so had a chance to do this, as well as some local driving whilst at home. The booking process was quite straight forward and communication with staff was also good.

Arrived on the day and went through the formalities as required. The staff again were very helpful in offering advice with the booking.

Was shown the car and had a decent run through the workings of it (drive modes, regen, acc, digital info. display etc.) As well as a good overview of the charging capabilities. The car was fully charged for me (handy 7kWh chargers very close by).

The staff also kindly recommended free parking at the nearby Park & Ride and allowed me in the time i had to drive there and leave my car for a few days and then test drove back to the centre from here. They also dropped me back off when i returned the car to them.

Everything was explained to a good standard and all the staff are knowledgable. Nothing felt rushed.

With regards the car itself ... i was pleasantly surprised. It was better than i was expecting. The polar network was reliable and all the chargers i used were in good working order - the charging process was quite simple (place the rfid card against the machine, select your charger and connect to the car and wait for the charger to 'talk' to the car and initiate charging). The experience includes free charging on this network. In the 4 days i travelled 440 miles, rapid charged on 4 occasions using a total of 83 kWh's, with an avg. Charge time of no more than 35 minutes. All chargers used were 50kw CCS. On the motorway i travelled mainly in the 'slow' lane at 65 mph, whilst hitting 70 mph to overtake when needed. This i found to be the most efficient on the higher speed roads. Although i used the ACC i have to admit i was not a fan, but will hopefully get used to it when my new car arrives in the next few weeks. When i started the hire the avg. M/kWh on the computer was 3.2. I returned the car with an avg. Of 4.2. I noticed the avg. On the motorway to stay at a consistent early 4's, with local driving hitting close to 7 with careful but not inconsiderate driving, but never going below mid 4's. The car definitely does gain plenty of mileage via regen ... i kept the drive mode in B throughout the hire period, in order to make good use of the high level regen. On a decent downhill stretch i was gaining 10-12 miles, which was great. A full charge was approx. 125-140 miles. The outside temp. Throughout my hire never went below 3, and never above 10 degrees celsius.

If you do ever decide to choose this car in the future as a purchase definitely spec. It with the heat pump and heated seats ... and always carry a couple of blankets just in case. Without, you will need to compromise on the use of the heater and your personal warmth. I only used the heaters when needed to clear the windows and that's it. At the ends of a long trip i could hardly feel the bottom half of my body!!. By doing this you will maximise your range. With regards range, the car warns you of low range at around 30 miles. It will then warn you a 2nd time, and then a 3rd, showing critical range (this happens around 8-10 miles left). Once this happens the car jumps to eco+ mode and all comfort settings are restricted. I got the range down to 7 miles before recharging.

If i had to pay for charging based on the above and inc. The full battery at the start of the hire, and using the 25p/kWh cost on Polar instant, the cost would have been £22 total. This works out at 5p/mile ... my current Auris hybrid costs me 13p/mile, so a significant saving for me in the future all going well.

The size of the car is very similar to my Auris so practicality is on par. This 4 day experience has given me more confidence with my choice of vehicle and it means that i do not need to be afraid of any long trips (i just need to hope that the charging network, regardless of the company, is reliable).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts