Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just recently became a member of this forum, and I get the keys to my 12-plate Gen 1 Leaf next Friday.

It was actually the press coverage that Zoe initially received that got me thinking about EVs, that led me to the 'Fully Charged' series on Youtube by Robert Llewelyn, and from there I learned about the Leaf. Test driving both cars (Zoe and Leaf) and researching the ownership models made my choice for me.

I expected like many of you, I am a bit (very) technology-obsessed, and a bit of a petrolhead. Apart from - well petrolhead is no longer the correct term, is it?

My test drives have led me to the conclusion that my current diesel will be my last 'conventional' car. Everything else (other than EVs) just feels ancient in comparison.

So next Friday I pick up the car from Croydon. I've got to get it back to Pewsey, near Marlborough in Wiltshire. @Paul_Churchley suggested using the M4 as there are lots of chargers on that road, but the problem is that it's 64 miles from Croydon to reading services. Is that too far for a Gen 1 at this time of year? If not, what sort of average speed should I do? Not more than 60?

My original plan was to go the M3, stopping at Fleet, but like Paul pointed out, fleet is my only choice and Winchester, the plan B, may be too far on one charge.

Any thoughts welcome, other than that, congrats to all on making this such a informative and friendly forum, and I look forward to joining in the discussions.

Joe

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome!

I can't help on the route planning in that area, but it does seem far from a Gen 1 in this weather to go 60 something miles without a plan b. Sure someone more local can help though.

:)

Evhead just doesn't work does it?! Electrichead? Erm...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@JoeK1973 I did suggest you go to to Heston services on the M4 as your first stop. That is only 20 miles and then all the charging is an easy distance with options if one breaks down.

60 miles in not too far for a Mk1 at this time of year if starting at 100% and it is not your first drive :eek: However, pushing the range like that, especially when you have little experience, leaves you with no headroom should you get a diversion or things don't work out as you think they might. I do 60 mile legs at this time of year but it is a risk and I just felt that you might not want to increase your risk on your very first trip in the Leaf... that is all :)

I still think my suggestion of Croydon to Heston (perhaps round the South Circular?), then down the M4 is your best, risk free, route.

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Just a point though... it looks like both Reading and Chievely services are out of action at the moment so you might need to do Heston Services to Membury which is 56 miles. On the motorway at a steady 55 that should be quite doable. I would still prefer that to Fleet tbh as there are few options down that way and in any case Fleet (W) is out at the moment too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah brill, thanks for the tips @Paul_Churchley , I thought you'd meant reading as the first stop but Heston makes it much easier - hopefully the chargers are back online next week though! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts