Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I've had the 12 plateAmpera for a few weeks now and I'm enjoying the car and the different experience driving on electric gives you. I've come from a BMW 5 series diesel so hopefully will see some nice cost savings in comparison.
Currently my commute is about 20 miles a day, so I should be doing the majority of miles on electric with the odd occasion of needing the engine for the longer journeys. At the moment this car suits my circumstances perfectly.
I'm living and working in the East London area so I might be local to some members? Cheers.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Welcome. You'll find a ton of info in the Ampera secion, under the GM Motors section. Several critically important things to do with this car.
1) Read the "Guide to buying an Ampera" - lots of great info.
2) Make sure you have the diy protective grille below & behind the numberplate protecting the radiator from stone damage. Bricked car & mega bill if that gets holed, snd quite a few have. Plans available in here.
3) Get yourself a cheapo £5 battery voltage meter that plugs into the 12V accessory socket, and maybe an extension lead to fit it all, as it's important to watch out for failing 12V battery. All sorts of errors & nasties can happen if this dies, and 12V batteries in EVs do seem to get hammered hard for some reason. Or get a fancier battery monitor that connects to battery terminals & reports to your phone, but get something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
Yeah, I'll definitely fit the radiator mod as soon as possible. I have a battery monitor so I will keep a close eye on that. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a very good car. I'm not missing the 5 series at all, apart from the smaller Ampera's load space, but I can live with that. I've done over two weeks worth of commuting and still have more than 220 miles left in the petrol tank. It drives nice, looks good, fairly practical and should be economical to run in my situation.
Hopefully it's going to be reliable and I get any issues sorted with the help from this great forum and also give my advice to help where I can. Happy days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts