Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Our family are looking into getting an EV and have found this forum a wealth of advice and information (to the point where my wife tells me to 'put the bloody iPad down!').

My wife runs a petrol Mini Cooper, and looking at the fuel costs against financing an EV, it means we can get a new car basically for about a cost of £50 a month once you stop paying for petrol (there are also the green points, we have solar PV fitted at home which we will use). But I imagine we will use the EV so much that the fuel going into my mondeo will also reduce.

We have booked in for a test drive with the Zoe on sat morning, mainly due to the size of the car and the finance deals I have seen on the net from Evans halshaw.

Is it worth taking a leaf for a test drive, is it much bigger than the Zoe? We only need the car as a second car, and everything I see about the leaf shows it to be bigger and therefore the finance more expensive?

One final question, my wife is starting a new posting in her job where she will be a casual user, which means that she can claim a mileage allowance. What happens if we do buy an EV and she uses that? The mileage allowance covers fuel, so is it the same? She is asking the question, and also the fact that work have fitted electric charging points for works vehicles (she works for the police), but I have never seen any cars using them (only 5 EV's in the force), so what are the implications of her using one of them?

Quite a few questions I know, but buying an EV is so much more difficult than an ICE!!!

Sam

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

Yes... test drive the Leaf. What have you got to lose with a test drive? There are some great deals around with the Leaf right now.

AFAIK... Mileage allowance is just that... it is for mileage... not petrol. You should get the same mileage allowance as with any other car.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
My wife runs a petrol Mini Cooper, and looking at the fuel costs against financing an EV, it means we can get a new car basically for about a cost of £50 a month once you stop paying for petrol (there are also the green points, we have solar PV fitted at home which we will use). But I imagine we will use the EV so much that the fuel going into my mondeo will also reduce.
Test drive the LEAF too. We used much the same method to work out the cost compared to what we switched from (an S-Max). Having been a MINI driver for years (know of MINI2.com? I started that many moons ago) I would say the ZOE is closer to the MINI of the two, but it's always good to take a spin and find out your options. Finance deals to be had everywhere so not always as obvious at it may at first appear.

One final question, my wife is starting a new posting in her job where she will be a casual user, which means that she can claim a mileage allowance. What happens if we do buy an EV and she uses that? The mileage allowance covers fuel, so is it the same? She is asking the question, and also the fact that work have fitted electric charging points for works vehicles (she works for the police), but I have never seen any cars using them (only 5 EV's in the force), so what are the implications of her using one of them?
Charging at work seems contentious and open to debate. The cost is negligible in most cases in terms of power, but worth having a discussion ahead of time.

In terms of mileage at present it's the same as a regular car, so it's quids in so far as any genuine business miles go! :D

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Yes ,try the leaf and check Western Nissan in Scotland (online ) . Got my Leaf from there 6 months ago -it was ex -demo with 1800 miles and paid just over £11000 :) managed to squeeze in free delivery to Hertfordshire (£ 300) and free car mats as well after bugging the dealer for a week !

Also if you are doing it closer to home -I was offered finance of £200 per month for 2 years and no more then 8000 miles a year with £200 deposit(Nissan Oxford) . I turned it down and got to £200 per month for 4 years and 12000 miles a year . I did not go for the offer at the end as Scottish deal was better as the car was newer and almost £2500 cheaper in total . I would just recommend to ask for ex-demonstrator cars anywhere as they are cheaper then showroom models and in better condition then normal second hand .Also ,never accept the first thing they offer you -always get the price down and t and c to suit your personal needs .If you stumble upon keen dealer he/she will do any finance to suit your needs and budget .It does take longer to make a purchase but it is worth it if they see you are not in a hurry to buy :)
Good luck !

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies.

I shall go and have a drive in a leaf, see how it is compared to the Zoe (I do wish they had slightly more manly names!)

I have been looking on 'carwow' and it does look like there are some good finance offers out there.

How did you go about signing for the car/finance etc if the dealer was in Scotland? I have never done that before, I've always gone to the dealers and test driven the one I wanted...

I am hoping that business mileage is that, because if so she will be quids in! Especially if they let her then charge the car at work as well...

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
I've posted this link before as it clearly shows how the HMRC will treat the various situations that may arise:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM23900.htm

If it will be a private car, used for business, then the 45p a mile allowance applies. If you are allowed to charge at work then that is a taxable benefit based on the cost to the employer.

This is my situation so to avoid that I pay to charge at work thus there is no "cost to the employer".

HTH.

In terms of available cars don't forget there is more to choose from than just the Zoe and Leaf. I have seen some great reviews for the little VW e-Up. 14 plate ones with under a 1,000 miles are being advertised at present for £13,995 to £14,995. There's no extra to pay for a battery lease either.

Just a thought .

Derek

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi
Cheers for the replies.

I shall go and have a drive in a leaf, see how it is compared to the Zoe (I do wish they had slightly more manly names!)

I have been looking on 'carwow' and it does look like there are some good finance offers out there.

How did you go about signing for the car/finance etc if the dealer was in Scotland? I have never done that before, I've always gone to the dealers and test driven the one I wanted...

I am hoping that business mileage is that, because if so she will be quids in! Especially if they let her then charge the car at work as well...
Hi Sam,
Great to hear you're joining the EV family. 7 day test drives are available on the LEAF, this is a great way to really find out what it's like to live with an EV. You can find more details here http://testdrive.nissan.co.uk/booking/leaf. If you do go for a test drive, do let us know what you think of the LEAF! Thanks ^GH

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use my Leaf for business miles and it's 45p a mile. My expenses combined with the £40 if road tax a month I'm no longer paying cover the cost of my car.

Btw if you know anyone working for Nissan the employee discount scheme is fab. My Tekna is on the scheme and is less than £200 a month. I also found 2 year deals are significantly cheaper than 3 or 4 year deals and the gen 3 Leaf should be out in 2016 so that's where I'm aiming.

Good luck in your test drives and make sure you do at least one long distance run where you have to charge to get there. It puts it all into perspective! :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again

I have put a request in for a contact from NissanGB with regards to the 7 day test drive, be an interesting way of making sure it's definitely an EV we want! I didn't even know you could do a 7 day test drive....

I've looked at the eUP, but was put off by the prices, but the used ones seem tube coming down. Can you still PCP them if they are used?

And fingers crossed our organisation should pay the 43p a mile then!

Sam

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Thanks again

I have put a request in for a contact from NissanGB with regards to the 7 day test drive, be an interesting way of making sure it's definitely an EV we want! I didn't even know you could do a 7 day test drive....

I've looked at the eUP, but was put off by the prices, but the used ones seem tube coming down. Can you still PCP them if they are used?

And fingers crossed our organisation should pay the 43p a mile then!

Sam
According to the Volkswagen website their Used Car programme "DasWelt Auto" allows you to finance your car the same way as a new car. Hopefully that means a PCP is available.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/used/our-programme

HTH

Derek

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Cheers for the replies.

I ended up turning down the finance -sold our petrol car and borrowed from family with no interest and paid in full . If that did not happen I would have gone to Scotland to do a deal as £2500 saving would pay for the journey with Easyjet or some other cheap transport .
I did test drive locally .

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a look round them both and test drives, we have out a deposit down on a Zoe in the end.

The wife didn't like the look of the leaf, preferred the Zoe. I didn't bother with the eUp due to the cost and limited second hand market, likewise the BMW.

I think I got a good deal (good for me anyway), in that it's a dynami-intens in White, didn't like the white and beige interior on the other models.

Got a discount of about £9k including the government grant, which is not bad in my eyes and to be honest is the best amount of discount I could find after a lot of searching on the net and emails.

Thanks for all the advice, I shall jump over onto the Zoe section for more helpful hints and tips!

Sam

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Congratulations that sounds like another great zoe deal and the intens is the best equipped. The Zoe is really incredible value compared to everything else on the market at the moment :cool: I wonder if they are punting out all the old stock cheaply in anticipation of the rumoured new model with greater range ???
After a look round them both and test drives, we have out a deposit down on a Zoe in the end.

The wife didn't like the look of the leaf, preferred the Zoe. I didn't bother with the eUp due to the cost and limited second hand market, likewise the BMW.

I think I got a good deal (good for me anyway), in that it's a dynami-intens in White, didn't like the white and beige interior on the other models.

Got a discount of about £9k including the government grant, which is not bad in my eyes and to be honest is the best amount of discount I could find after a lot of searching on the net and emails.

Thanks for all the advice, I shall jump over onto the Zoe section for more helpful hints and tips!

Sam

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Some companies may have special EV rates at just a few owns per mile. I suggest you check and is a bonus if you get more

Definately test drive the leaf. If you get one I highly recommend the 6kW charger upgrade..

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
If you use a private car for business and get less than the 45p/mile AMR from your employer you can claim back the tax on the difference, but will probably need to fill in a self assessment tax return. So if you get 25p mile from your employer you can claim back the tax on the 20p difference. If you did 5000 business miles that is £1000 you can get the tax back on at your highest rate. Incidentally, the 45p is only the first 10K miles, then it is 10p.

High business mileage BEV drivers can do very well, especially if higher rate tax payers. This (and current BIK rates) is also why it is often better to buy a BEV privately than through a business. However, until the Tesla it was difficult to do high business mileage in a BEV ;-) [Holding breath for flames from Leaf owners :-]

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Yes, thanks for spotting that. I think I got confused because for my partner we claimed 10p mile back for her miles over 10K. She got 15p mile plus a taxable car allowance. 15p mile did not cover petrol cost in he Lexus RX400 driving on motorway so she ended up trading in for a diesel...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts