Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 200 mile on clock E Niro 4 arrives on Friday 17th. PodPoint home charger on order. Till it arrives we'll have to mains charge from the house.

Can anyone tell me what we will need for this please? And does the Niro arrive with the correct attachements? If we will need an extension lead what should I buy?

Thank you if anyone else has been through this nail-biting new user stage.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had mine 1 week now. Yes it comes with both a charger for 3 pin domestic socket and type 2 charging lead. Look for an extension lead that specifically states for outdoor use.

Have a look at the various apps that show local public charging points. Many are free and with an hour rapid charge you can get 80% charge. Many Ionity chargers are popping up now and my local ones have been free for weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How long is the cable on the 3 pin charger ?

we are hoping to pick ours up this week, but are off on holiday on Friday and I want to make sure I’m equipped!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I haven't opened mine, it's still in the wrapping but on a Mr EV video where he "unboxes" his new e-Niro it looks to be about 5m, the same as the type 2. The Kia website says shouldn't use the "granny"(3 pin) cable with an extension lead.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I haven't opened mine, it's still in the wrapping but on a Mr EV video where he "unboxes" his new e-Niro it looks to be about 5m, the same as the type 2. The Kia website says shouldn't use the "granny"(3 pin) cable with an extension lead.
That's probably because it pulls quite a bit of current and there are a lot of cheap, shoddy extension leads out there. A quality outdoor one should be fine.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
344 Posts
They always say that, it comes straight from the "arse covering" legal department. Be sensible and use a high quality high capacity extension lead and don't leave it coiled up and you'll be fine. If in doubt set the car to charge at reduced rate to take the load off.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Male someone could check my working but I think this is how it calculates out...

Assuming that the extension cable has a resistance of 0.012 ohms per metre (so its a good cable).
Assuming a 10m extension cable
Assuming the charge cable is 5m long and a similar resistance per metre
I think the maximum charge current is 10A

The total loss in both cables, when adding the extension cable to the charge cable, would be 3.6V (go and return). The power loss would be 36W, or around 1.6% of the total power, all coming out as heat from the cable of course.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
344 Posts
The real reason they officially don't support this is because the plug top on the granny charger has a heat sensor in it, and using this they believe they can determine if your wall outlet is overheating or not. It's really nothing to do with the cable you use as an extension itself, or voltage drop, or any of those things.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our 200 mile on clock E Niro 4 arrives on Friday 17th. PodPoint home charger on order. Till it arrives we'll have to mains charge from the house.

Can anyone tell me what we will need for this please? And does the Niro arrive with the correct attachements? If we will need an extension lead what should I buy?

Congratulations. I hope that you will have a wonderful time with the new car.

For your 3-pin mains plug, there are two types of extension lead, the 13A ones with the thickest cables and those that are limited to a lower current. The lower current ones have a trip that will prevent excess current overheating the cable and will e marked with their current rating. While I can't advocate using an extension lead, you certainly should not use one of the current limited ones. Also, the shorter the the lead, the better.

Just curious, why has the Niro got 200 miles on the clock? That seems a lot for new but impossibly low for second-hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's got 200 miles on the clock because it's a used vehicle. We got a £2k discount on the book price. The original buyer found a scratch on the paintwork and returned the vehicle, but for us the scratch is invisible - we wonder if it's a Covid return, that's what the dealer believes. We didn't want to wait having settled on an E-Niro, so we took the car. Our home charger install is now due for 31 July. So I think we should be fine for charging until then. I can't tell you how scared I am! Sleepless nights and massive researching on the internet because this is our first EV. But we're doing this because we believe that EV are a contribution to the environment. I hope this is true.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I believe this example of extension cable is acceptable - and it can be purchased with appropriate adaptors for domestic 3 pin sockets.

Note that the specification states 2.5 mm - this relates to the conductor size and is an important parameter. There are cheaper ones which are defined as 1.5mm and I would not use one of those.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
I recommend this RCD protected one.

BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
The real reason they officially don't support this is because the plug top on the granny charger has a heat sensor in it, and using this they believe they can determine if your wall outlet is overheating or not. It's really nothing to do with the cable you use as an extension itself, or voltage drop, or any of those things.
Not all have temp monitoring. My Ampera one clearly didn't as the plug melted on bottom and it had been charging OK despite that.

The regulations on portable EVSE specify a very short supply side cable because that it might not be protected by a suitable RCD. Hence why extension cables aren't "allowed".

·
Registered
761 Posts
BS 1363-1:1995 A4:2012 the British Standard for 13A plugs, specifically states that flex must not exceed 1.5mmsq with the line ‘having nominal conductor cross-sectional areas not exceeding 1.5 mmsq’. Therefore, other than manufacturer fitted molded plugs, 2.5mmsq flex should not be terminated in a 13A plug.

I suspect you have not looked at the item I gave a web reference for - the cable conducters terminate in 16 A IP44 connectors. The additional adaptors enable plugging into 13 amp sockets...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've personally gone for the octopus supplied commando to type 2 cable, and got sparky to install a commando outside. WHy? I can use a commando for a jet wash and other things and not just an EV. If you on Octopus or thinking baout it the Ohme Type 2 to Commando cable may be a better option than a podpoint...

·
Registered
118 Posts

The 3-pin charging cable is about 5m long. The charger is set to 10A in the UK. This is well within what most extension leads can handle (unrolled). The only drawback of using the low-power lead (if you've got the time) is high charging loss - typically 25%, compared with around 12-15% at higher rates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 3-pin charging cable is about 5m long. The charger is set to 10A in the UK. This is well within what most extension leads can handle (unrolled). The only drawback of using the low-power lead (if you've got the time) is high charging loss - typically 25%, compared with around 12-15% at higher rates.
According to the manual there is a button on the rear of the granny cable in line box, to enable selecting different even lower charging currents. Please don’t tell me the UK version doesn’t have this button? I was hoping to use that for very slow daytime trickle charging so as to use free solar energy from my roof. I would only get 10 Amps of solar on very sunny days, I was hoping to be able to select even lower trickle current, say 6 Amps.

Peter

·
Registered
118 Posts
According to the manual there is a button on the rear of the granny cable in line box, to enable selecting different even lower charging currents. Please don’t tell me the UK version doesn’t have this button? I was hoping to use that for very slow daytime trickle charging so as to use free solar energy from my roof. I would only get 10 Amps of solar on very sunny days, I was hoping to be able to select even lower trickle current, say 6 Amps.

Peter
Yes, it does have that. You can step through 8, 10, 12A. UK default is 10A. Surely that will be the top limit, though -- a smaller current should still pass through? Charging losses at 10A run at around 25%. Can't really understand why trickle charging results in greater losses. Fast/rapid charging is more efficient - typically 12-15% loss.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That’s good to know, thanks. 6A would have been better still but 8A will do.
Another question please. Can you turn the charging off/on remotely via the UVO app when using the granny lead for charging?

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
118 Posts
That’s good to know, thanks. 6A would have been better still but 8A will do.
Another question please. Can you turn the charging off/on remotely via the UVO app when using the granny lead for charging?

Cheers
Peter
Mine's a 1st Edition, so no app. The car's built-in timer will control any charging. You could also have a timer at the wall plug, but maybe you want greater flexibility than that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts