Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up yesterday on a 2-year lease. Our first car for four years - back when it was just us two...

Keen to hear experiences from

- other i3 Rex single-car households with young kid(s)!

- fellow Islington Borough EV scheme chargers?

A shout out to Park Lane for their quality service; honourable mention to Drive Electric for their valued assistance; thanks to all you speakev.com users/mods for a fantastic forum. You've all massively helped our decision along the way.

·
Leaf lover
4,007 Posts
Welcome to the forum, great choice of car.
We are not a single car family but currently the i3 is by far the most used and I collect my daughter's boys (5 & 7) from school one day each week and they love the car.
What is your charging routine?

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Had my i3 REX for nearly 2 years now. Although we also have another car, it is used so infrequently that every time we try to use it the 12V battery is flat (even after changing the battery recently!). Have now resorted to a solar powered "top-up" device that is recommended for cars that get little use.

I expect you will love the REX, but hate the rear doors. We only have one 11 year-old, but it is a pain getting him in and out in car parks. We have done quite a few very long trips (over 1000 miles total per trip) in it and we can manage on battery only, but often resort to the fill-up both at each stop routine. This is far more required in a 60Ah version as that give ~60+60 miles per leg rather than ~110+60 that I would expect for the 94Ah on a long motorway trip.

Edit: Clarification of long trips!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum, great choice of car.
We are not a single car family but currently the i3 is by far the most used and I collect my daughter's boys (5 & 7) from school one day each week and they love the car.
What is your charging routine?
Hi @richardglover

Thanks for the welcome message. Yes- a super (mini) car so far, reflecting other users' findings.... once we convinced ourselves that the backseat nausea was driving-style & road type related. We'll see.

Nextgreen car.com is also partly to blame for our choice, for laying out all the comparative specs & environmental impacts so nicely!

Child-friendliness sounds good for your grandsons' age. Our 1-yr old is at least enjoying roaming the back floor space (when stationary, I hasten to add).

We intend to use a combination of overnight destination charging when visiting family/friends, relying on the local street subscription scheme (with local Sainsburys 3kW as backup!) when back home. It's a massive experiment/gamble as we don't have off-street parking. Watch this (scuse the pun) space.

Also, for now, we are in parking limbo as we await the all-powerful V5C.

Edit: "your grandsons" for "your boys"!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had my i3 REX for nearly 2 years now. Although we also have another car, it is used so infrequently that every time we try to use it the 12V battery is flat (even after changing the battery recently!). Have now resorted to a solar powered "top-up" device that is recommended for cars that get little use.

I expect you will love the REX, but hate the rear doors. We only have one 11 year-old, but it is a pain getting him in and out in car parks. We have done quite a few very long trips (over 1000 miles total per trip) in it and we can manage on battery only, but often resort to the fill-up both at each stop routine. This is far more required in a 60Ah version as that give ~60+60 miles per leg rather than ~110+60 that I would expect for the 94Ah on a long motorway trip.

Edit: Clarification of long trips!
Nice to hear from you too, @Matt Beard

The thing with your other car not getting much use and 12V running down is a great ad for the i3. It also leads to a question about how long the i3's batteries might hold their charges if we only use ours infrequently (gaps of 1, 2, even 3 weeks)?!

What is the ideal SOC for gaps in use?..I gather not good to leave at 100%, or very low. Maybe aim to maintain 50% - 90% until just before a long journey or cluster of journeys?

By the way, we've only driven it a couple of times now and yes, already challenged by the carriage door tiswas! The OH tends to sit behind me so it's like being kids in a 3-door 80s car again.

When she's wanting to get out, I'm invariably already absorbed in my journey/stats log. Like I need to cause any more marital aggro after my 4-month EV/tax nerdfest prior to this lease.

Helpful to hear your range estimates. I look forward to reporting back once we've got our teeth in some journeys both short & long.

Edit: clarified "a great ad for the i3"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts