Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great car and it's amazing we don't have more of them here in NZ;
Electricity is 80% renewable (Hydro/wind/Geothermal), Short commutes, relatively cheap electricity and fairly expensive petrol, 240V power supply etc. It's just a shame that they have stopped bringing in brand new LEAF's so most of ours are imported 2nd hand from Japan. Ours is ex Japan, 3 years old and has 18000km on the clock but is in great condition.

One thing I've wondered about. Is it bad for the car or efficiency to keep the brake engaged when it is in Drive? It naturally tries to creep at 7km/h so do most people put it in and out of Neutral in bumper to bumper traffic?

Cheers all!
Dean.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
...snip...
One thing I've wondered about. Is it bad for the car or efficiency to keep the brake engaged when it is in Drive? It naturally tries to creep at 7km/h so do most people put it in and out of Neutral in bumper to bumper traffic?
It's fine but put some reasonable pressure on it as it cuts the power then.
You should be able to feel when it stops trying to creep.
Using neutral will just drive you mad :)

·
Leaf lover
4,614 Posts
Hello Dean, perhaps New Zealand should be ordering from our Sunderland factory.
How many Leaf could fit in a container, I wonder?

·
Registered
595 Posts
@Groover Great to hear that NZ has another EV owner. The Wellington area, in particular, seems to be particularly keen to switch to electric.

Could I ask a question? We're hoping to visit NZ in July this year and thought about renting an EV. The ChargeNet network seems to be improving all the time which would make a big difference.

Blue Cars seem to rent Gen 2 Leafs but are you aware of any other groups who rent EVs? We've been to NZ before and would probably be mainly based in the North Island (Napier/Hastings with some travel up to Auckland/down to Wellington). Ideally, we would go for a Tesla but probably outwith our budget (as car needed for up to 4 weeks). 30kWh Leaf would be great but not sure if this model has been imported yet? Hyundai Ioniq may be another option if available for rental.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Mark Thanks Mark! Ah, maybe that's why I ended up not getting a role in the movies - feet too small :)

Richard, I was quite keen on the idea of importing one from the UK but decided it was a bit scary. Would have been nicer to go up a model from the S and be able to get one where the systems are all in English rather than Japanese.
Are you involved with the factory at all? You could fit 2 LEAF's easily in a container. Apparently the delivery time of around 2 months puts car sales yards off (I'm told it's 2 weeks from Japan). Our one put a brand new factory Nissan stereo/reversing camera in it and a NZ made charger.

@Michael Yes, we've had a Green Mayor for 6 years until recently in Wellington and as a region I think we strive to be Eco friendly although I can't believe they're talking about ditching the 100% electric new technology trolley buses that the city loves! ChargeNet are putting in a new fast charger every 2 weeks apparently. There are also quite a few free medium speed chargers around. I did my first bigger trip in the (24kWh) LEAF last weekend. Travelled the equivalent of Wellington to the bottom of Lake Taupo with 2 and a bit fast charges along the way. It was Great. Blue cars is the main company I have heard of but I'll check with associates and re-post if I hear more. The VW Golf and Ioniq are about to come in soon but I doubt there will be any rental stock...
There is a Car share company called Mevo who run Audi A3 e-tron hybrids normally on an hourly basis but they may be prepared to discuss a longer term hire if they don't have too many customers yet (www.mevo.co.nz).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi from another new Nissan Leaf owner from Middle Earth, New Zealand.. just bought a Japanese import 2016 X model that is like new as was a Japanese dealer demo car..

First weekend after buying travelled Paraparaumu to Napier.. used combination of fast charge stations and caravan point at a camping ground to complete the trip.. great drive.. still have a Toyota Prius as well as we are not ready to have only one car while we are both still working..

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Is it bad for the car or efficiency to keep the brake engaged when it is in Drive? It naturally tries to creep at 7km/h so do most people put it in and out of Neutral in bumper to bumper traffic?
I use the old manual ICE practice of put in Neutral and apply the parking brake. Stationary with the parking brake applied while still in D (or B), some current is being supplied to the motor to try and make it creep forwards - having driven into a parking space and applied the parking brake, if I switch off before engaging Neutral there is a noticeable movement as the front wheels stop trying to creep the car forwards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice to hear of all these Kiwi Leaves (er Leafs).
Also nice to see how sophisticated things are in NZ with all the work people are putting in to publicise EV's and support their use.
I'm a Kiwi maroooned in Nottingham & Birmingham England with my 2015 24KH Leaf buzzing (er whirring) between the 2 cities.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi, and welcome to SpeakEV!

I spent 5 amazing weeks in NZ last Dec to mid Jan on honeymoon, the best 5 weeks of my life. What an amazing place NZ is. Would love to go back.

EV wise I am massively impressed by the infrastructure even in remote areas; and especially the signs telling drivers where EV chargers were. The UK and Europe has a lot to learn from NZ.

I looked at renting an EV whilst we were there but the only one that would have done the miles we did (literally 5 weeks of driving) would have been a Tesla, and though I saw loads on the North Island, there were none on the South (plus not being allowed to take car on the ferry to Picton of course).

I can see NZ going 100% electric though I know there are many rural areas which may struggle, but at lease your power grid is extremely clean and more renewables coming.

Cheers
Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts