Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hybrid newbie here. New mk7.5 Golf GTE is now on order, just had to take advantage of the VW diesel scrap scheme.

All though I am conscious of my environmental footprint, I had not considered a hybrid or EV before I came across the Golf GTE. I love sports cars and I'm motorbike obsessed, so silent and rather dull EV's held little appeal.
The GTE is the first hybrid this side of a BMW i8 or Mclaren P1 that appeals to me as a petrolhead, I'm very excited! My test drive confirmed the GTE is much better than the specs suggest...

Long wait however. Looking at the end of Jan before my Pearl Black base model with a couple of options arrives. Interested to hear from any current owners, especially on options you think are vital?

Ever since my MX5 rusted through, I've been stuck in a cheap 1.4d Aygo while I looked for the replacement. Can't complain, the VW scrap scheme fell perfectly!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey up.
I ordered mine about the same time. Also looking at January/ February. Like you I liked the petrol power of the GTE over and above a pure EV. I had a go in a Zoe and it was not to my liking although I appreciate the eGolf is more powerful. Shame there wasn't one to test drive at the time.

Scrappage scheme is a bonus whatever you get. No one else is offering so much. Put together with the plug in grant and dealer discount and its a substantial amount off the total.

I went for a better paint job and the centre armrest on my basic GTE. The armrest is available for £150 extra. I think it looks a bit bare without it.

Got no build week yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took delivery of my base GTE in Solid White last Thursday, I’ve only done 250 miles so very new to it. Initial comments: in pure electric mode around town the performance is surprisingly good, really responsive on battery only, I am in Milton Keynes so I understand there is a good infrastructure and I can drive across the town and back on a single charge so no petrol used. I don’t have built in sat nav but Car play is fine and the Apple map is sufficient. The ACC is superb and using that where I can and admittedly not many miles done but my commute is an 80 mile round trip on roughly 50/50 motorway and country road and I am achieving an indicated 100 mpg+ sticking to the speed limits with the car in hybrid mode with the ACC active. I'm going gentle on the car and going to do a few miles before using the fun button, but even in hybrid mode there is plenty of poke. The car rides comfortably, charging is fine, the dab radio is good and the Car Net works just well enough to be useful. I’ve still got a lot to learn trying to beat the computer to get the best MPG but to me it’s the best car I have had so far for real world driving, this is my 3rd VW GT variant and the best. Enjoy your new car when you get it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts