Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

we are FlexiDAO a recently funded startup based in Barcelona.

We are creating a new innovative solution for electric vehicle charging that helps the environment and also rewards you for that. I'm kindly asking for your opinion on that matter.

Please have a look at this quick form below. It won't take more than 30 seconds and it would help us a lot.

FlexiDAO - market survey

Thank you in advance!
FlexiDAO team

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This appears to be yet another smartphone app. :(

Phones I thought are to make phone calls :censored: Never needed a smartphone at $$$$€€€€€¥¥¥¥£££¥ A day just to charge a car.

Please edit your signature before the mods ask you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This appears to be yet another smartphone app. :(

Phones I thought are to make phone calls :censored: Never needed a smartphone at $$$$€€€€€¥¥¥¥£££¥ A day just to charge a car.

Please edit your signature before the mods ask you.
Hi Spiny,

We are not a smartphone app, but rather a new startup supported by EDP and InnoEnergy as you might see from our website. We are passionate energy engineers that think we could help EV roll-out applying new and innovative technology (i.e. blockchain) to existing solutions (i.e. smart charging initiatives).

We are simply looking for feedbacks and opinions among passionate EV drivers without spamming anybody. If you have any more doubt regarding what we do and who we are, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The website says smartphone to quote.
"Through the smartphone app, you can monitor the charging process and set up your preferences. Our cloud solution will take care of the rest"

Sorry not impressed - I charge when needed. If I need to go out in the evening then the charge is started at the max rate. If I do not then the timer is set so it finishes charging 1/2 hour before I leave, Giving time to pre-heat if needed. Having something stop, slow or alter the charge while I sleep is not on. Add in the possibility of the charge time/rate being hacked as cloud programs seem to be as badly written as other web services.

This appears to be something like the Electric Nation EVSE from Electric Nation | Your electric vehicle - Your smart charge a web controlled smart charging solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The website says smartphone to quote.
"Through the smartphone app, you can monitor the charging process and set up your preferences. Our cloud solution will take care of the rest"
Yes it does. However I believe that just because a product has the additional feature of having a mobile web app, this doesn't turn the entire product into merely "another smartphone app". There is much more under the hood.

Sorry not impressed - I charge when needed. If I need to go out in the evening then the charge is started at the max rate. If I do not then the timer is set so it finishes charging 1/2 hour before I leave, Giving time to pre-heat if needed. Having something stop, slow or alter the charge while I sleep is not on.
Finding out whether EV drivers like you might or might not be interested in our product is exactly the objective of our post, so thank you very much for your valuable input.

Add in the possibility of the charge time/rate being hacked as cloud programs seem to be as badly written as other web services.

This appears to be something like the Electric Nation EVSE from Electric Nation | Your electric vehicle - Your smart charge a web controlled smart charging solution.
Regarding this last point, cyber security is indeed one of the main differentiation points of our product. Our cloud service is entirely based on blockchain, a new innovative technology that distributes the database over many devices instead of one central server. This makes hacking our system impossible since it is extremely difficult and especially extremely expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,083 Posts
Our cloud service is entirely based on blockchain, a new innovative technology that distributes the computing power over many devices instead of one central server making almost impossible to hack
Buzz word bingo, adding a blockchain doesn’t nessecitate security. Infact private blockchains could be less secure than good old fashioned protocol design and TLS.

And a pro tip never ever ever say in public “My product is impossible to hack” it never ends well.

I wish you luck it’s another interesting angle in the market, but i personally at a technical level would prefer the adoption and extension of open protocols such as OCPP to interface with infrastructure over proprietary protocols.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This worries me Blockchain technology has been around a while (bitcoin is a well known example) and has been compromised before see
https://www.rsaconference.com/writable/presentations/file_upload/fon4-t11_hacking_blockchain.pdf
https://www.rsaconference.com/writable/presentations/file_upload/fon4-t11_hacking_blockchain.pdf
I wish you well but please take care @Jack makes valid points which I whole heartedly concur with.
If you do not already have a BEV / PHEV get one and see what you do when you pull up on your drive with 5 miles of electric left and need to go out in an hour. :)

PS I love Barcelona

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buzz word bingo, adding a blockchain doesn’t nessecitate security. Infact private blockchains could be less secure than good old fashioned protocol design and TLS.

And a pro tip never ever ever say in public “My product is impossible to hack” it never ends well.
It's true what you are saying, nothing is unhackable. The overall system and blockchain integration has to be properly designed in order to ensure highest level of security, for which we are aiming for. Blockchain does however protect from DDOS attacks which are very common nowadays.

As a further clarification, what I meant with my previous post is that since hacking a properly designed distributed system is extremely complicated and very expensive, hacking a service which simply manages EVs is not worth it and in turn this makes the hacking virtually impossible or extremely unlikely to happen. That's all.

I wish you luck it’s another interesting angle in the market, but i personally at a technical level would prefer the adoption and extension of open protocols such as OCPP to interface with infrastructure over proprietary protocols.
Thank you very much :) We are working closely with the protocol you mentioned. We also hope that one day it will be the globally adopted standard.

This worries me Blockchain technology has been around a while (bitcoin is a well known example) and has been compromised before see
I wish you well but please take care @Jack makes valid points which I whole heartedly concur with.
If you do not already have a BEV / PHEV get one and see what you do when you pull up on your drive with 5 miles of electric left and need to go out in an hour. :)

PS I love Barcelona
This is why we have an app where you can literally click one button and your car will be charged without any "smartness". ;)

PS We love Barcelona as well, great city even though not many EVs yet..

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
This is why we have an app where you can literally click one button and your car will be charged
I've a socket on the wall does the same thing with the car attached:D:D

Now an app that starts a charge with out the car plugged in .....(y)

·
Registered
Corsa SRI Nav Premium
5,111 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
To the OP, a few Q'd;
Would this avoid needing to sign up for Economy 7 and get another meter installed?
Does it communicate with a special charging point or can it work with any?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts