Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm Simon and I got here via a route that I'm sure most of you are familiar with. I had my interest piqued by reports of the Ampera-e (sounds like a sensible range) and ended up on FullyCharged. I got hooked on the videos and so ended up here. I've read the forums to death and started to think about how I could get an EV.

The problem is that I live about 7 years behind most of you, in Sicily. Our charging infrastructure is pretty rubbish for a start. That might not have been a massive issue as I could charge at home but then I started looking at prices of 2nd hand Leafs (Leaves?) and, compared to the UK we are on another planet. A car that costs £10k on autotrader is €20k here, which we simply can't afford (even with a loan and we don't have the snazzy PCP deals I've read about here) so it looks like a waiting game. I even saw an Ampera (original) but they want €28k for it and the equivalent would be around €12k in the UK.

On the plus side, I can see into the future, so I know all of the good points and issues I'll face over the next few years as they play out over here as they already have in the UK. I'll spend my time soaking in the sun and dreaming about when I'll be able to get an EV.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Can't you buy from Italy mainland or France or even Holland and drive it home. One off the advantages off being in the EU? It will be rhd so something you have over the UK.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, nice ideas.

A cursory first glance around brought up Yaris hybrids without silly miles for reasonable money or French Leaf could work. Although, dealing with the French and Italian bureaucracy around re-registration/insurance might break my tiny brain. I'll certainly look into both some more though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts