Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

My name is Josh.

I'm the Product Manager for OVO Energy's EV Everywhere bundle, amongst other things, that launched on Tuesday 1st August.

You can find out more about the new bundle at EV Everywhere | Electricity bundle for electric car owners.

You can sign up for the deal at Quote and Switch.

This is OVO's first foray in the EV space in a meaningful way and we're really excited to see what EV owners think, what they'd like to see from an energy company, what would make you sign up for the new offering and what would discourage you.

While I don't pretend to be one of our amazing customer care agents, I will do my best to try and answer any questions you might have in as timely a fashion as possible.

I don't own an EV yet, but I would love to. I have had the pleasure of test driving a BMW i3 and it was a truly amazing experience.

Thank you,

·
Registered
531 Posts
Why isn't your new tariff or indeed pricing for it, available to pre-payment customers?

I had smart meters fitted a while back on a pre-payment basis as, at the time, the company were offering the most attractive Economy 7 rate for my area. I'm not finding pre-payment to be any disadvantage as I can pay a month in advance via their app at the press of a couple of buttons. Sure their daytime rate is slightly more expensive (by way of penalty for pre-paying?!), but as I also have Solar PV that's almost irrelevant to me for 9 month of the year.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi,

My name is Josh.

I'm the Product Manager for OVO Energy's EV Everywhere bundle, amongst other things, that launched on Tuesday 1st August.

This is OVO's first foray in the EV space in a meaningful way and we're really excited to see what EV owners think, what they'd like to see from an energy company, what would make you sign up for the new offering and what would discourage you.

While I don't pretend to be one of our amazing customer care agents, I will do my best to try and answer any questions you might have in as timely a fashion as possible.

I don't own an EV yet, but I would love to. I have had the pleasure of test driving a BMW i3 and it was a truly amazing experience.

Thank you,

Hi @[email protected]. Thanks for joining the forum and being available for questions.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why isn't your new tariff or indeed pricing for it, available to pre-payment customers?

I had smart meters fitted a while back on a pre-payment basis as, at the time, the company were offering the most attractive Economy 7 rate for my area. I'm not finding pre-payment to be any disadvantage as I can pay a month in advance via their app at the press of a couple of buttons. Sure their daytime rate is slightly more expensive (by way of penalty for pre-paying?!), but as I also have Solar PV that's almost irrelevant to me for 9 month of the year.
Hi @AndyJ,

Launching a new product like EV Everywhere is complex and involves a lot of teams to work in sync for many weeks across OVO. Electric cars are a really new space for us and we wanted to take something to market which would allow us to test the waters in a sensible and paced approach.

If we tried to cover every base from the get go, firstly it would have taken us much longer to come to market and secondly there would be a much larger risk that we wasted our time because a lot of the product isn't relevant to this or that person.

By taking this approach and restricting the initial offering to customers who pay by direct debit and have a single rate meter, we can get a lot of feedback early on and evolve the product hand in hand with people like yourself.

In short, we made an educated guess that there would be a higher crossover between credit meters and EV owners than there would be between prepayment meters and EV owners. It made the most sense to target this audience first.

We plan to support Economy 7 and Economy 10 meters in the near future, but there is a question mark over whether we will ever support prepayment meters. If you already pay in advance on the app and the unit rates for our PAYM tariff are comparable, there's nothing stopping you asking to have your meter converted to a credit meter once we are able to support dual rate meters.

I hope that makes sense and answers your question. Please do come back to me if you need anything else.

Thank you,

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
I am an existing customer of OVO, and I just got off the phone to them. I was told that as I'm an existing customer I am not eligible for this.

So much for loyalty.

In think that is a terrible way to treat customers.
So, this is what @[email protected] meant in another thread when referring to "long term value to our customers in a transparent and honest way with award winning customer service".

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am an existing customer of OVO, and I just got off the phone to them. I was told that as I'm an existing customer I am not eligible for this.

So much for loyalty.

In think that is a terrible way to treat customers.
Hi Pete,

I'm really sorry that you're upset about this. I do appreciate how frustrating it can be. It's really important to OVO that new and existing customers are treated the same.

In order to bring the bundle to market as quickly as we did, we focused on new customers in order to test the water. It was always our plan to support existing customers through My OVO and over the phone in the near future.

We really value your loyalty and we're very grateful for your custom. Our new OVO Interest Reward is a very tangible expression of this, starting at 3% on positive balances in your first year, rising to 4% in your second year and 5% in your third year with us. Many banks struggle to offer such competitive rates.

We hope you'll bear with us until we can support your upgrading to EV Everywhere. We'll make an announcement as soon as it's possible.

Thank you,

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think we do need to be fair and at least be thankful that an energy firm is willing to engage with us here.

It might not suit everyone, or it might be disappointing to not be able to switch to this tariff now but there's a well known saying:

"you'd rather have them on the inside p**ing out, than on the outside p**ing in."

To me, the key requirement for EV charging at home is simply having the most competitive price per kWh for electric, coupled with a decent one for gas. Simple as that really. There's no critical requirement to bundle in deals with on-street charging suppliers as it doesn't always help people.

Even though POLAR is probably the biggest supplier of chargepoints, there are still large swathes of the country where Polar membership is just pointless, or where people only use them occasionally and therefore just use the Polar Instant method.

If bundling in the Polar membership increases the price per kWh then it may push it to become uncompetitive.

At 14.3p per kWh this is unfortunately the case for me (i'm paying 12.4p).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree and I do welcome their engagement here and value their previous customer service. But I also want to highlight the interest from existing customers and to hasten its availability. I'm particularly interested in their step into V2Grid and how that will develop.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If bundling in the Polar membership increases the price per kWh then it may push it to become uncompetitive.
Hi @prodigymad,

The base tariff is our 2 Year Fixed Energy plan. The unit rates are identical to that product.

The two free add-ons which make up the bundle have no impact on the unit price.

Thanks,

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
When you click on the "TIL", it still shows as 33% Green Electricity..

Hi @phproxy,

This is something we're looking into which has been also been raised by Tesla owners on the Tesla forum.

The TIL reflects the bundle's base 2 Year Fixed Energy plan which normally only includes 33% renewable electricity.

The free Green Energy add-on bumps this up to 100%, but I appreciate that's not clear from the TIL.

Thank you,

·
Registered
259 Posts
In order to bring the bundle to market as quickly as we did, we focused on new customers in order to test the water.
Can you pease explain why you need to test the water? And if so why with new customers as opposed to existing loyal customers?

What is it that needs testing and what happens if the test fails?

It's really important to OVO that new and existing customers are treated the same.
OK, so are you able to say why you don't do this?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts