Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I'm new to this forum. I bought a 2015 Nissan Leaf in October 2018 with super low miles! It's a great car, and gets me to 95% of the places I need to go! The only time I can't use it is when I have a 100+ mile driving trip for work! For that reason, I've been thinking about maybe getting a PHEV. Looking forward to hearing from folks in another thread about their PHEV experiences!

Nice to meet you all!

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,867 Posts
Isn't there a rapid you can stop for 15 mins enroute?

I've used Leaf30 for 8 months / 12000 miles but I abbe help but think that for once a month I could do with Leaf40 or other budget range EV.

I do use rapid when in need on those days.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't there a rapid you can stop for 15 mins enroute?

I've used Leaf30 for 8 months / 12000 miles but I abbe help but think that for once a month I could do with Leaf40 or other budget range EV.

I do use rapid when in need on those days.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
My leaf is the Leaf 24kWh. I'll have to look into rapid chargers along all the routes I take to different destinations (several work destinations, and a graduate school destination).

-S

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Worth getting to know your local (and not so local) rapid and non-rapid charging points, if only as a 'get-out-of-jail' card when travelling home on a cold wet winter's day (when range can be reduced).

You can then get to know the charging points further out, and once you have confidence with them, you can work even further out.

I recently took my 13Reg 24kWh Leaf from Shropshire up to Edinburgh.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Install zap-map or plugshare apps on your phone and explore the points around you and on route.
A 24kw doesn't takes long to charge to 80-85%, more than that you will be spending time charging at a low rate.
One thing will help you a lot is to overcome the range syndrome and go below 20% before recharge this will add a few miles to your range.
RFID cards is a must, some times the apps don't work although you can always call the provider (depending on which one you would get a 24/7 costumer service) and ave them to activate the station I find that having the card is the best option.

PS: welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
FID cards is a must, some times the apps don't work although you can always call the provider (depending on which one you would get a 24/7 costumer service) and ave them to activate the station I find that having the card is the best option.
If only.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Well...
It works very well up in Scotland :p:p chargeplacesScotland have a 24/7 service and are usually helpful ;)
What about most of tjhe other networks (which rely on apps only.) CPS is actuially CYC now owned by BP Chargemaster. Can you get an RFID card for their Polar-Instant? Regrettably not it seems despite having the same owners.
Pod-Point and Ecotricity used to have RFID cards. Now those cards only work with a few old posts that haven't been replaced.
Hence 'If Only!'
Now we're expected to subscribe at least £10 ot £20 into numerous app based systems even though you may never use them.
The whole infrastructure needs standardizing and simplifying so it is just as simple as filling an ICE car, anywhere. Businesses that want to offer free charging can simply install a basic charger, why tie it to a network? They won't then get caught having to pay for backroom services as well as the electricity provided.What's required? One RFID card (or backip app) that works for all paid for charges and some consisitency with regard to cost.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Hi All! I'm new to this forum. I bought a 2015 Nissan Leaf in October 2018 with super low miles! It's a great car, and gets me to 95% of the places I need to go! The only time I can't use it is when I have a 100+ mile driving trip for work! For that reason, I've been thinking about maybe getting a PHEV. Looking forward to hearing from folks in another thread about their PHEV experiences!

Nice to meet you all!
Welcome to the community.

I drove a Leaf 24 from 2014 to 2018. In 2014 there were very few charging points but this forum was the best advice available. When I ordered a 24kwh Leaf I worked out my regular journeys. Two were beyond the range and I needed to charge on route. This did not stop me but rather I felt it was a challenge to be beaten.

In 2015 I took the car from Brighton to Edinburgh. The only thing is to make sure your passengers are comfortable with the stops necessary.

I hope you enjoy your EV motoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts