Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question for the group. Nissan dealership mechanic say need to get 240 level 2 charger to get consistent chargers and pointed to several Leafs in the shop, pointing that that is way they were in the shop. I know level 2 charging is much faster but is it better?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking?

Is level 2 charging better than charging with the EVSE 3 pin plug?

Yes, it is faster. It will add roughly 13miles per hour when plugged in if you have a 3.3kw version. Or 26 miles per hour on the 6.6kw version.

If you use the 3 pin plug it will add roughly 8 miles per hour.

In my opinion, the faster the better. But if you are happy to charge up on the 3 pin plug then that's fine too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hello Mike. It's nice to see another Washingtonian here... American, even.

The Europeans here don't generally have Level 1 charging because everything over there is 240V.

Essentially, Level 1 charging is 110V and Level 2 charging is 240V. You're going to want the Level 2 charging because it will take a long time to charge the leaf from empty-to-full on Level 1. With Level 2 you should be able to get a full charge overnight.

I'm not a Leaf owner, but I seem to recall that some Leaf have 3.3kW chargers (internally) and some have 6.6kW... so maybe those in the shop were there to get an upgraded charger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts