Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get a cable to connect my Nissan leaf to the new public charging points, such as Bradford on Avon station car park. Do I need any special card or the like to use these points.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Welcome!

That's a little bit of an open-ended question to be honest, we'd need more information or someone with local knowledge (fingers crossed) to be able to help you on that particular charger.

So far as the plug goes, again it depends on your model LEAF and therefore which plugs/cables came with the car. Usually a LEAF will come with a type-2 cable which will work with most more up to date chargers and or a three-pin plug fitted EVSE, and it again depends on the charger(s) you want to use which one will work. Generally speaking newer LEAFs with the faster 6.6kw charger have the type-2 cable, and older models or those with no faster charging on-board have the EVSE "brick".

For rapid chargers, the cable is connected to the charger, so you don't have to worry with those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have just discovered that I need a mode 3 mennekes cable and have found one. This should work as the car pictured in the space I want to use was a Renault Zoe. You are right my Leaf came with the EVSE brick which is no use as it has a 3 pin plug at one end.. The local knowledge about access to the point is now what I need. May try ringing the Wiltshire county council who commissioned the point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have spoken to Wiltshire council and the points are freely accessible. Another source of free energy as long as it lasts!!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
welcome @alan nelson and I'm happy to report we have two charging locations in Bradford on Avon and neither require RFID card or payment :D

Here's some background information;

http://speakev.com/threads/zeronet-bradford-on-avon.1180/

You can purchase the Type 2 to Type 1 cables that you need from NuWorld Energy for £145 + VAT. Make sure you buy the 32A version because some Charging Stations have a bug that stop 16A cables from working :(

If you want to know more @Shay Parsons and I live in BoA and drive a ZOE and a Tesla Roadster. We also have another Leaf owner in town :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome @alan nelson and I'm happy to report we have two charging locations in Bradford on Avon and neither require RFID card or payment :D

Here's some background information;

http://speakev.com/threads/zeronet-bradford-on-avon.1180/

You can purchase the Type 2 to Type 1 cables that you need from NuWorld Energy for £145 + VAT. Make sure you buy the 32A version because some Charging Stations have a bug that stop 16A cables from working :(

If you want to know more @Shay Parsons and I live in BoA and drive a ZOE and a Tesla Roadster. We also have another Leaf owner in town :cool:
thanks for the information. have ordered a cable. will be using the point on my next visit to BoA to see my mother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts