Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you require on street charge point near where you live?

• Yes, I do

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No, but would be interested for another EV driver

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The rise of EV's will change our future mobility.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just like to say Hi to all the EV drivers in London Borough of Hounslow (LBH). I'm an EV veteran for 2 years now and have recently taken part in a trial with a German company called Ubitricity who have developed a novel EV charge point solution using street lamp post. Ideal for EV users that don't have off-street parking for charging their vehicle. Get in touch if you want to know more as I'm working closely with the local council to establish more of these charge points.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
And limiting it to Hounslow resisdents might limit your responses - possibly because many are unlikely to have an EV because they have no off street parking ;)

I live miles from Londinium and even with off street parking I'd could be interested in the charging infrastructure you mention. My driveway is many metres from my house, making installation of a charge point expensive. A lamppost resides nearer my car and garage than the house does.

·
The rise of EV's will change our future mobility.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi @GordonW I was wondering if you had a picture of the set up?
Yes I do, please find it attached below
image.jpeg

I should have mentioned that the trial is currently only for residents in the London Borough of Hounslow. If it proves successful then I'm sure it will be expanded nationally with other councils. I found that the trial needs to highlight the electric charge bay or you'll have every ICE vehicle parking there when you need it most as someone found to their frustration. The Smart-cable shown above contains a SIM card which undertakes the authentication with a central billing server based in Berlin more details can be found --> Start | ubitricity - Mobilstromprodukte.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
The benefit of that system is with lampposts that are by the curb side. In my town about 4 years ago they spend £millions replacing all their lampposts and moved them away from the curb lol,

Unfortunately I doubt it will be making it nationally as most councils have/are moving their lampposts from the curbs. That would then mean cables laying over the road side.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,651 Posts
It sounds like a really good idea but I can't help feeling that it is very vulnerable to vandalism, the control box dangling from the plug connected to the lamp post would be better being at the car end of the cable so it could be placed under the car although I expect it's been done like that so it doesn't end up in a puddle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Might the trial be able to be expanded to the neighbouring borough of Richmond this could solve my lack of off-street parking/charging access but there are lamp posts all along the residents parking bays where we can park.

·
Registered
6 Posts
An update for anyone interested.
The objective of the trial is to see if modifying lamp posts to charging points removes the need for specific EV parking bays.
If you get an EV, Hounslow will - through Ubitricity - install charging points in 3 lamp posts in your road. You pay £500, of which £250 is refunded in return for feedback on the scheme. There are not specific EV parking spaces by the charge points, you just have to hope that there are enough charge points that you can find a parking space near one. Ubitricity send you the charging cable, which is required to tap the charging points.
If someone else in your road gets an EV and wants to participate, they will have to pay for a further 3 charging points. They can't use a standard cable on the existing points. Once you have the cable you can then use any of the charge points.

There are 2 EVs in my road so we have 6 charge points. If anyone else gets one then pretty much every lamp post will be a charge point. so we will be at max charge point, but nowhere hear max EVs, I guess. Not sure how it is going to pan out......

·
Registered
641 Posts
I travel up to Hounslow area (Brentford) all the time. I often stay over at a friends and cant help but think what a shame this scheme is not open to visitors as well. Apart from a couple of very expensive source London posts, there's nothing on destination chargers in Brentford.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
The poll question is, shall we say, a little loaded...! What if I am not interested for me or for anyone else? ;)
Tim, this seems a bit harsh, surely? :whistle: Suppose you happened to visit friends in that street overnight, having travelled a great distance (and almost emptied your battery to do so), wouldn't you appreciate the possibility of borrowing your friend's charger overnight? Or even that of their friendly neighbour, in return for a bottle or 2 of plonk? :)

I think it sounds an excellent scheme, potentially of interest to all, and I really like the expansion of 3 sockets installed in return for the very modest net investment of £250. Just have to hope the price per kWh isn't set stupidly high...

·
Registered
223 Posts
@Wilberforce Thanks for the update. Awaiting Surrey's strategy for on street charging so I'm hoping that they are considering Ubitricity as one of the options. Out of a matter of interest what is the pricing model? I hope is is better than the char.gy lampost one which is 69p/kWh on PAYG!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts