Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if the Ampera has the same Halogen projector headlights as the Volt.

I was not impressed with the stock headlights, and installed a kit made by Morimoto (Japan) that is very high quality and more than doubles the light output, both forward and out to the sides. I purchased it from this site:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... ts_id=3957

There are some threads on the GM-Volt web site that show and explain the installation, which is actually fairly easy if you have the right tools. Just search for HID headlights.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
SharkVolt, I appreciate your insight but again I suggest caution here.

Regulations in the UK are very different to the USA. Fitting HID (Xenon or other HIDs) can be legal here but it needs care that it is done correctly and legally.

Fitting of HIDs in the UK to cars that did not have HIDs from new is currently not legal though as far as I can tell. However, new regulations from this year means that aftermarket fitting of HIDs will be approved but only if they comply with the new regulations:

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

This means that it will never be a simple or cheap task to switch to HIDs. If the car doesn't already have self-leveling suspension then the entire headlight assembly must be replaced with self-leveling ones... not cheap.

After market HIDs in the UK if fitted to a car that didn't have it factory installed is currently illegal in the UK.

Sorry. :(

For more info just Google "HID legal uk"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anybody no how to upgrade the headlight bulbs still using 55watt bulbs as they are yellow ouput . i think a white bulb would be better for the ampera
FRED

·
Registered
167 Posts
Any lamp upgrades??
After struggling with the headlamps for 9 months, a substantial improvement was effected by realigning the headlamps. They were way out and it made a tremendous difference. They are still not great, but much better than they were and have stopped me complaining every time I go out after dark !!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I fitted Osram Nightbreakers in my Smart Roadster they made quite a difference. so could be worth a try they give a whiter light too

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
I tried but bought the wrong type of bulbs, looked similar but one has two key slots (HB3) and the other has only one key slot (HB4) also the three locating lugs are positioned differently. I can't remember which was which though. I did a bit of raking around the net and it seems that the bulbs used are what people were changing to, by that I mean they were adapting the bulbs by removing the keyslots and filing down one lug to enable them to be used in other headlight units. Vauxhall could not give me the bulb type only the part number.

·
Registered
138 Posts
After struggling with the headlamps for 9 months, a substantial improvement was effected by realigning the headlamps. They were way out and it made a tremendous difference. They are still not great, but much better than they were and have stopped me complaining every time I go out after dark !!
Totally agree

I suffered for a few months before a re-alignment meant the lights are much much better now

Big Paul

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
After my trip home when I picked the car up at midnight I knew my lights we're badly aligned, so high I was dazzling all oncoming drivers when on dip and set to the lowest setting.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Has anyone successfully upgraded their headlights without going down the HID route?
Current lights are pretty pathetic and I was looked at Osram or Phillips "30% brighter" solutions but am struggling to find them in 9012 format. (but frankly if they are so good, why aren't they standard OEM fit?)
Any suggestions?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
I had a rake around when trying to find the exact bulb type. From what I read on various US forums about the type of bulb quite a few folks are converting these bulbs to fit in their headlights as they are better. By converting I mean filing off lugs and adapting the 'bayonet' fitting to suit other similar but different fittings, if you can understand what I mean.

·
Registered
557 Posts
9012 is the OEM fitting pattern required for the Ampera regardless of what technology the bulb is. However 9012 is much harder to find and also more expensive than 9006 fitting hence you see the 9006 often quoted / used in various online guides. The 9006 will fit the Ampera without modification of the locating tangs but it is awkward to get started in the locating slots. I'd recommend paying the extra for the 9012 bulbs if you can find them, and save the skin on your knuckles:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Has anyone successfully upgraded their headlights without going down the HID route?
Current lights are pretty pathetic and I was looked at Osram or Phillips "30% brighter" solutions but am struggling to find them in 9012 format. (but frankly if they are so good, why aren't they standard OEM fit?)
Any suggestions?
The original OEM bulbs in my Ampera where Phillips 9012's. I'm not sure if they where the 30% brighter versions though but they didn't seem too bad to me despite so many bad reports online.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Been browsing Voltforum and the Osram / Phillips catalogs....
Voltforum solution tends to be to fit HIDs - Not sure I want to go down that route just yet...
I was looking to upgrade the bulb (only) - and hoped to find a solution with the Osram Nightbreaker or Phillips Extreme Vision routes. I can find 9012 bulbs listed, but for Osram only the 'Original' line and Phillips the Longlife version (which I guess is what is OEM fit).
I read that you can fit others (9006?) by filing off bits of the lugs - that could open up Phillips BlueVision ultra bulbs.... a bit more light with a cool blue wash... Any other alternatives (besides cleaning the lights every day?)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Been browsing Voltforum and the Osram / Phillips catalogs....
Voltforum solution tends to be to fit HIDs - Not sure I want to go down that route just yet...
I was looking to upgrade the bulb (only) - and hoped to find a solution with the Osram Nightbreaker or Phillips Extreme Vision routes. I can find 9012 bulbs listed, but for Osram only the 'Original' line and Phillips the Longlife version (which I guess is what is OEM fit).
I read that you can fit others (9006?) by filing off bits of the lugs - that could open up Phillips BlueVision ultra bulbs.... a bit more light with a cool blue wash... Any other alternatives (besides cleaning the lights every day?)
The 9006's fit without filing if you know how. Basically you insert the single lug first and as you rotate the bulb a couple of mm the other two lugs drop into their respective slots then you rotate the bulb all the way to the locked position.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
I am actually wondering if we upgrade say to LED bulbs, would that void the warranty ?
They can't void a warranty unless the modification can be shown to have contributed to the defect you are claiming.

However people in the Volt forum have tried LED bulbs with little or no success. The Osram with mod seems the easier and cheapest upgrade and is on my to-do list...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FQ8ANTE

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think you will find an LED bulb that is an improvement in terms of light output. There are lots on the market, but I cannot find any proper evidence of a good one. If anyone knows better tell me and I will buy some in a heartbeat.

The Ampera's lights need careful alignment but even then are pretty terrible.

Last weekend I fitted those Osrams and I can now tell when my headlights are on, which is good. The lights are now just barely acceptable whereas before they were not fit for purpose.

I commute down narrow unlit roads, and I can now just barely see where I am going still when it's dark, and wet, and there's oncoming traffic passing with 100mm to spare between us.

I now wish I had fitted HID's and I still might.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts