Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove 120 miles in my 40kWH Leaf 2. Started at 93% SOC and according to the Leaf app (and My Leaf) I used 23.3kWH which is a very respectable 5+ m/kWH but if you work out 23.3 as a proportion of 40, you get 58%, so you would expect the SOC upon arrival to be 35% (93-58). Why, then does the display in the car show 20% - meaning an apparent drop of 73% or 29.2 kWH. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just drove 120 miles in my 40kWH Leaf 2. Started at 93% SOC and according to the Leaf app (and My Leaf) I used 23.3kWH which is a very respectable 5+ m/kWH but if you work out 23.3 as a proportion of 40, you get 58%, so you would expect the SOC upon arrival to be 35% (93-58). Why, then does the display in the car show 20% - meaning an apparent drop of 73% or 29.2 kWH. Am I missing something?
Have you included “recuperated” kWh from the app? It shows what you used and what you used by regeneration, so both numbers have to be used.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you included “recuperated” kWh from the app? It shows what you used and what you used by regeneration, so both numbers have to be used.
My Nissan app doesn't show recuperated energy,
just one figure. See screenshot.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,906 Posts
Mine's the same. It's odd. I swear some kWh have gone missing! My average is 4 miles per kWh, the GOM says about 140 odd at full which matches but when you actually use the car it doesn't match up and it's about 20 miles short or so. The bottom of the battery below about 25% seems to be a total crapshoot.

I did a 115 mile trip the other week and it was all cross country and it was definitely about 10% below what you'd expect if consumption was correct. There's something being miscalculated or the battery buffer isn't consistent or lack of thermal management is varying the capacity by 10% or so and that's why it doesn't quite add up.

I'd assume energy used includes the amount for regeneration having been taken off as it will just up what has been taken off the battery itself.

The Zoe was definitely far more rational.

·
Registered
593 Posts
With reference to the GOM and battery % reading, when they hit zero indicating no range left and turtle mode imminent, there is actually 3.5Kwh of hidden energy left in the battery. This can get you an extra 12 / 14 miles range and is hidden from the GOM and % reading and tricks you into thinking the car is seriously inefficient, when actually it’s okay.

On a long run, I have LeafSpy running as it is the only true indicator of how much actual range is left.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dont forget that 40 KWH leafs dont have 40KWH to start with. Mine started lift with about 37.5 (from leafspy about 6 weeks or so after getting the car) and the GOM percentage isnt linear.

As Gosport Dave has said there is always a bit lleft in the tank if you are brave enough to push it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts