Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Kelly Here, I recently imported a Vauxhall Ampera 2015 to New Zealand with 25,000.00 miles on the clock. I have had the above-mentioned fault warning coming up on the screen and have had the warning removed by a friend using an electron fault remover. I can than charge the vehicle but the next day the fault appears again.

I have had the battery cooling sensor replaced but not the wiring harness. The coolant level is as per requirements, done by the local Holden dealer here.

The problem I now have is that no one in New Zealand can do the dealer re-set or software update which the Holden dealers say needs to occur to remove the warning light . Holden here are as near as one can get to having some knowledge of the Holden Volt and Ampera, but they have never seen an Ampera and there is only a Holden dealership here. I have discovered from the Holden dealers here and in Australia that the dealership for my Ampera cannot be re-set by them as they cannot get entry to the licence code which is owned by Vauxhall, and there is no Vauxhall dealership here in NZ . At present the only options to fix my car that I can see, is either is to either ship it back to the U.K for this apparently minor re-set or pay a Vauxhall expert to to come here to NZ to do the re-set. Can anyone here help me? Many thanks Kelly

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Hi mate, welcome.
That fault does require Vauxhall software to reset it although you would think Holden could do it as I understand the car was shipped to Australia. Maybe an Email to Vauxhall could assist as you would think that a Holden dealership would be allowed to sort it.
Maybe a full install by a Holden dealer would rectify it as the parts are identical?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome! I admire your courage in importing an Ampera! It is a fantastic car but you are a long way from Bellinger's.
According Wikipedia there were three Holden dealerships selling and servicing Chevrolet Volts - these were in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. Unfortunately very few were sold but the expertise is likely to exist for those that they did sell. It may be worth getting your nearest Holden dealership to contact Vauxhall or Opel directly. Alternatively you may find that an email to Alan Rixon at Bellinger Vauxhall (Grove) may be helpful in 'oiling the wheels' his email is: [email protected]

·
Registered
216 Posts
There have been a few people on here with coding experience. Few miles of ocean notwithstanding some sort of remote coding is possible on some marques. I know BMW's are frequently coded remotely and Tesla's with modified firmware are also supported remotely by 3rd parties. @HughF @4est @ROBERT ANDOW anyone able to assist? I only have a basic OBD reader so that isn't going to by any use! Obviously if someone does this for a living and can charge appropriately it will help no doubt as this could feasibly take some time - but ought to be cheaper than shipping the car back to UK!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi mate, welcome.
That fault does require Vauxhall software to reset it although you would think Holden could do it as I understand the car was shipped to Australia. Maybe an Email to Vauxhall could assist as you would think that a Holden dealership would be allowed to sort it.
Maybe a full install by a Holden dealer would rectify it as the parts are identical?
Hi Russ, thank you for your reply. I purchased the car and imported it directly to NZ. The Holden dealers in Australia (via Holden in Christchurch, NZ) were able to access my car 's electronics remotely, but could not get full access to the software update because of hte licending issue. When you say a full re-install, do you mean a full Volt software reinstall? Cheers Kelly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome! I admire your courage in importing an Ampera! It is a fantastic car but you are a long way from Bellinger's.
According Wikipedia there were three Holden dealerships selling and servicing Chevrolet Volts - these were in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington. Unfortunately very few were sold but the expertise is likely to exist for those that they did sell. It may be worth getting your nearest Holden dealership to contact Vauxhall or Opel directly. Alternatively you may find that an email to Alan Rixon at Bellinger Vauxhall (Grove) may be helpful in 'oiling the wheels' his email is: [email protected]
Hi there
Hi Graham, thank you for your reply. I tried the Christchurch one, but no success after they could not get past the licence code. I will try the other branches shortly. Thank you, Kelly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been a few people on here with coding experience. Few miles of ocean notwithstanding some sort of remote coding is possible on some marques. I know BMW's are frequently coded remotely and Tesla's with modified firmware are also supported remotely by 3rd parties. @HughF @4est @ROBERT ANDOW anyone able to assist? I only have a basic OBD reader so that isn't going to by any use! Obviously if someone does this for a living and can charge appropriately it will help no doubt as this could feasibly take some time - but ought to be cheaper than shipping the car back to UK!
Hi Hugh, no problem with paying for assistance to remedy the problem. Yes, I will keep trying to get it fixed. Cheers Kelly

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Your best option is to buy yourself a allscanner vcxnano interface from eBay/AliExpress China that comes with a working copy of GM gds2 software. It's about £70 or so.

You'll need a laptop running VMware player to run the virtual machine.

You can then do this reset yourself.

You should not require an in-key (that's what we used to call them on the ford software) to reflash the hpcm. A login/license is usually only needed for immobiliser stuff.

I've got the hardware/software but as yet haven't needed it in anger so I haven't got any direct experience of reflashing the hpcm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your best option is to buy yourself a allscanner vcxnano interface from eBay/AliExpress China that comes with a working copy of GM gds2 software. It's about £70 or so.

You should not require an in-key (that's what we used to call them on the ford software) to reflash the hpcm. A login/license is usually only needed for immobiliser stuff.

I've got the hardware/software but as yet haven't needed it in anger so I haven't got any direct experience of reflashing the hpcm.
Hi Hugh, does that mean if I do as suggested that I will be able to bypass the code requirement2 and load in te after market software?
that mean that it will allow be a I will be

Hi Hugh, does that mean the Vauxhall code requirement is by- passed by entering the GM gds2 software? Regards Kelly

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Hugh, does that mean if I do as suggested that I will be able to bypass the code requirement2 and load in te after market software?
that mean that it will allow be a I will be

Hi Hugh, does that mean the Vauxhall code requirement is by- passed by entering the GM gds2 software? Regards Kelly
Kelly, module programming is available from https://vauxhall-infotech.com/info.html, through the SPS system. This is a web based programming system that connects to the car through the VCXNANO interface (set in passthrough mode).

My previous message was just describing the diagnostic procedure which does not require subscription. Module programming does require a different procedure, I was being forgetful.

You will need a subscription:

SPS Vehicle Programming (Security Access)
Time AmountPrice (EUR)
2 Hour(s)40,00 EUR

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hugh are you aware whether the old opcom / vauxcom app with an appropriate ODB dongle can reset this error as its a bit cheaper than the gds2? I'm sure a 2004 version of the app had the Ampera listed.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hugh are you aware whether the old opcom / vauxcom app with an appropriate ODB dongle can reset this error as its a bit cheaper than the gds2? I'm sure a 2004 version of the app had the Ampera listed.
I'm afraid I wouldn't know that, sorry. I tend to only buy/use cloned main dealer tools/software.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kelly, module programming is available from https://vauxhall-infotech.com/info.html, through the SPS system. This is a web based programming system that connects to the car through the VCXNANO interface (set in passthrough mode).

My previous message was just describing the diagnostic procedure which does not require subscription. Module programming does require a different procedure, I was being forgetful.

You will need a subscription:

SPS Vehicle Programming (Security Access)
Time AmountPrice (EUR)
2 Hour(s)40,00 EUR
Hi Hugh, thanks for that, much appreciated. Cheers Kelly

·
New EV driver
186 Posts
I get this error from time to time and have a odbii Bluetooth dongle plugged in all the time and just use the torq lite app to reset it. It's likely a fault with the battery cooling fluid level indicator circuit so check your fluid levels. If it keeps happening often you need to change the sensor more than likely.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Phil, thank you for your comment. I am going to buy one and try resetting it myself as you are doing until I have found the fault. Cheers for that Kelly

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi Hugh, i have just ordered a scanner as recommended by you and should
have it in the next few weeks.

Are you able to send me a link for the mware player that I will need on my
computer?

I checked my car coolant system level a few days ago and discovered that
the tank was not just over the ride on the bottle and instead was up near
the top of the bottle, so obviously the 2 GM dealers have either filled it
up or not taken some out so that it would be at the appropriate level as
discussed in these forums. So my job on the weekend will be to empty some
of the coolant out with a large injection and try to reset the fault again
and fingers crossed I do not have to look further re software. I am told by
Alan Rixon a Vauxhall dealer that the car software has never been added to