Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we were looking at getting a Kona premium 2021, the only thing my wife was not happy with is that we would not have HBA, which was a feature on our existing car that she loved, but I could not see the point in paying the extra to get this as it was only available on the ultimate. Last night my wife came back from work more that happy saying the car had HBA…. I had to check as she must be wrong as it’s not on the premium….but yes we have HBA…..rechecked the Hyundai web site as thought I must have got it wrong and no it states this is only available on the ultimate…. So do other owners of 2021 new shape Kona premiums have HBA?…..is my car a incorrectly built with this feature or are the specs on the web site incorrect?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, my facelift Kona Premium has HBA. It’s daft that there’s no mention of it on the Hyundai website, even in the brochure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All i could find on the web site was this, which indicated it did not have it View attachment 147350
Oh yeh, I only looked on the mobile site and there’s no mention of it there but the desktop site has a lot more info, some of it incorrect as it seems!
Sorry to hijack the thread but another thing that confuses me with the specs is that my car doesn’t have Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and there’s no mention of it in my menus, yet I can turn on the Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Follow Assist (LFA) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC) on the motorway and the car drives itself, centred in the lane, and only have to wiggle the steering wheel every 30 seconds. What exactly does HDA add on top of these features?!

·
Registered
Kona 64
704 Posts
Oh yeh, I only looked on the mobile site and there’s no mention of it there but the desktop site has a lot more info, some of it incorrect as it seems!
Sorry to hijack the thread but another thing that confuses me with the specs is that my car doesn’t have Highway Driving Assist (HDA) and there’s no mention of it in my menus, yet I can turn on the Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Lane Follow Assist (LFA) and Smart Cruise Control (SCC) on the motorway and the car drives itself, centred in the lane, and only have to wiggle the steering wheel every 30 seconds. What exactly does HDA add on top of these features?!
It adds another TLA

·
Registered
506 Posts
I believe HDA adds auto speed change based on 'Highway' signs, HDA2 adds that and auto lane change.

·
Registered
Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
13 Posts
I too was confused to see HBA in the menus, how does one actually use it? not dark enough when going home to use it yet

·
Registered
370 Posts
I too was confused to see HBA in the menus, how does one actually use it? not dark enough when going home to use it yet
Assume your asking what it does!

At night if the main lights are are ’On’ the HBA system automatically switches between Dipped Beam and the Main Beam when oncoming motor vehicle lights are detected or when coming up behind other vehicles.

Some systems are a lot better than others. Will be slow to react if Corners and Gradients are ahead. I believe that the ‘detector’ is at the top of the windscreen and requires ‘line of sight’ to operate efficiently.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
For my 2020 Kona you just have to ensure the headlights are in Auto mode. Then when it is dark headlights will come on automatically. Push the stalk forward to turn on high beam assist: so as with any other car to get high beam except with HBA it only switches to high beam if it is fully dark and your speed is above the minimum (20mph or 30kph), and there are no lights ahead. It switches back to dipped beam for any other traffic, if there are streetlights, or if you slow down below the minimum speed.

Turning high beam assist off is a bit harder: pull the stalk toward you when high beam is on will turn off HBA but if the high beam is off will just flash high beam and leave HBA on. Pushing the stalk away from you turns high beam on and turns HBA off. Turning the auto switch to a different position will also turn off HBA but may turn off headlights entirely.

Reactions: gladini
1 - 9 of 9 Posts