Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

I know this topic is covered in another thread here but wanted to update you all on my efforts to bring the cost of using this new Cumbria charging network down to a reasonable level. As a local I dont need to use this as I can home charge my Leaf for less than 7p per KWh (night rate). However, I do want to see more EV driving visitors in the county so I have written to our local MP Tim Farron. I have explained the costing issues to him in detail and here is his responce:

Thank you very much for your recent email with regard to the method of delivery of charging facilities for electric vehicles that the County Council have adopted.

I am most grateful to you for having alerted me to this ridiculous situation. I am pleased to confirm that I have written to the Chief Executive of the County Council to demand that a thorough review must be conducted in order to find the way to provide the charging facilities at an acceptable price. I will write again, when I have received the response.

With best wishes

Yours sincerely

TIM FARRON MP

I will update this thread with any responce I get back

regards

T

·
Registered
541 Posts
Woah woah woah, there's a Cumbria charge network?

About a year ago I read about some funding that Cumbria received for charging points but haven't seen anything since.

Can't see anything on PlugShare other than Zero Carbon World sites and the odd Pod Point. (Edit: +Ecotricity of course)

Nothing on the CYC site either. How does one find out about this charging network? :)

·
9,719 Posts
What is the actual charge for these units?

All I can find is a new article saying they went live last week, and more information to follow next week. With a talking head quote suggesting the price for a rapid will be £1.80 + 30p/kWh. Nothing official to be seen.

You might actually want to let them do some official announcements before jumping down their throats.

Car charging points finally go live in Cumbria

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The new network will go live very soon. I have seen the Rapids in Ulverston and Kendal. The Kendal rapid also has two type 2 chargers next to it. I understand that Carlisle. Keswick. Penrith. Ulverston Whitehaven also have new Rapids. Charges are £20 per year admin fee. £20 for a card. £1.80 "connection fee" and a charge of 30p per KWh To top up my leaf for the first time from scratch would cost me £49.30p (using 25KWh of electricity). This is far to high and will deter visitors. Hence my letter to Tim Farron

·
The best there is at what I do
10,601 Posts
The new network will go live very soon. I have seen the Rapids in Ulverston and Kendal. The Kendal rapid also has two type 2 chargers next to it. I understand that Carlisle. Keswick. Penrith. Ulverston Whitehaven also have new Rapids. Charges are £20 per year admin fee. £20 for a card. £1.80 "connection fee" and a charge of 30p per KWh To top up my leaf for the first time from scratch would cost me £49.30p (using 25KWh of electricity). This is far to high and will deter visitors. Hence my letter to Tim Farron
Brilliant, desperately trying to recoup their outlay but is likely to have the exact opposite result. :ROFLMAO:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,465 Posts
... and yet the question remains, exactly 'what' is 'reasonable'?

As a visitor I would not object to 30p/kWh. I might not even object to £1.80 'connection'. The issue with all of these 'remote' networks is that if you really wanted to drive across the country you'd have endless correspondence with seemingly dozens of different little empires, and most likely failing to make the arrangements for a half of them and a half of the ones you do get to arrange things don't work when you get there.

I must have spent 3 hours or more over a dozen emails and a dozen calls to try to establish who/how/when/where/what I was supposed to do to use chargers in Hertfordshire some time ago. Suffice to say.. I gave up.

The real thing for politicos to get involved in is not local trivia, but to bring in and enforce a national scheme so those who wish to can subscribe to ONE service and then be able to DEMAND a charge from any public charger.

That's what you really need to ask MPs to do. P!55ing around at the local level is basically pointless.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Well done....I like people that take practical action, rather than just grumbling (even if they can't spell response).:p

Hope you get a positive response as I have family in Cumbria.

·
Registered
331 Posts
... and yet the question remains, exactly 'what' is 'reasonable'?

As a visitor I would not object to 30p/kWh. I might not even object to £1.80 'connection'.
What about the £40 for card and admin for a charger you may only use once? Don't EV drivers tend to have a fistful of cards already? Surely it would be better to have CYC or similar run it.

·
10,601 Posts
What about the £40 for card and admin for a charger you may only use once? Don't EV drivers tend to have a fistful of cards already? Surely it would be better to have CYC or similar run it.
Obviously a policy set by a bunch of bureaucrats with no idea of EV ownership, trouble is if people don't use them the perception will they are not required not that they got the pricing policy wrong.

·
9,719 Posts
In the absence of hard facts regarding pricing, it would be prudent to not jump to conclusions. I personally would not be apposed to that pricing as a visitor, but joining another scheme for £20+ is an absolute no go, for at most a couple of charging sessions.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,465 Posts
Yes, these are the issues, I think. Set up and annual charge costs for a remote network is really mis-thinking the issue. People who live in the area don't need it, it is more for people coming into the area, but what possible motivation to join up to a scheme do they have if they are only visiting the once?

What the heck is wrong with a simple credit-card based system, pay-as-you-go?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dear All

I have now recieved a response (response with an 's' lol) through Tim Farron MP from Cumbria County Council

The details are as follows:

The Cumbria charge network will be opperated by Charge Point Genie,

After review they will no longer charge a 'Connection Fee' (£1.80), or an ongoing 'administration fee', However they will charge a one off membership fee of £20 and will supply an RFID card to use the network. There will now be a single charge tariff of £0.30p/kWh for power used. In addition there will be no extra charge (was £0.60p) for using the Rapid Chargers.

I have been told the 're think' was caused by initial conserns passed on to the Council from EV users ;-)

I have written back to Tim Farron asking whether he can keep pressure on to the Council for futher reductions in tariff going forward. I will pass on details.

I also have been passed contact details for the 'account manager' at Charge Point Genie so we can pile the pressue on directly if required (or they have another 're think' on charges and put up costs after the opening of the network).

Hope this all helps :)

Come visit us here in Cumbria soon

Tick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One additional point: I have also raised the issue of legislation to cover fair 'reselling' of electricity for EV use. My point here being it was necesary some years ago for Landlords to be regulated in what they could charge to tennants for reselling, so I feel it may be necesary for EV charge networks to be held by similar legislation? I also take the point that hundreds of 'micro' charge networks dotted up and down the country is not a good situation. Some form of national charging system would be a big step forward. This too may require national legislation?

I will continue working towards this with my local MP, but we could all help ourselves by writing to all our MP's with the same points

regards

T

·
10,601 Posts
I cancelled my CPG card last month because they only have one (Rapid) charger in my local area and asked me for another £20 annual fee, their charge rates are quite expensive as well:

£1.80 to start the charge + 15 kWh’s at £0.30 = £6.30

It's the £1.80 admin fee that kills this :confused:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I totally agree....their business model is broken. Did they do ANY research? The chargers will largely go unused. Too expensive for locals and those passing through won't have a card.

There's one CG point in Nottingham and it's 7kw. Will never get used.

I think they are hoodwinking ignorant specifiers with some promise about either revenue or increased customer footfall.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts