Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was testing my Ampera in this nice and cold weather how much is the mpg using it in only the "hybrid" mode. I did 65 miles in total and got 21-22mpg which, in my view, is sh*t. Though the heating is on max mode with a temp set of 23C-25C and usually doing only 4-8 miles in one go in moderate traffic. I didn't try this in the summer time, so cannot compare. Any toughts?

The second, which I'm not sure is fully OK that I can go only up to ~20 e-miles, same settings on climate, same usual distance/go. I can't always, let say usually can't use the PH as the car is out of range to turn it on (I'm working on a signal amplifier to extend the remote's range). Although, the total power consumption is still 10.x kWh (whenever I deplet it fully before able to replenish). Does it sound all right?

BTW, I have a 2012 one with the 16kWh battery.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
@Admin plz move to GM Ampera section? Thx.
10.4 used is absolutely normal for my 2012, sometimes you'll see a bit different reported thx to regen & whether you have a 2012 or 2013 model also affects the accounting a bit. I saw 10.9 the other day - dunno why, did some regenning on a long trip, but it's not usually that high!

Are you able to preheat the car before your trips? Not a lot of point using this feature unless the car's plugged into a charger, as it will just drain the HV battery if you do. 2 preheats gets the cabin a lot warmer than one, and you can set the 2nd one going before the first has finished, I usually give it 10 mins then start a 2nd.

If not using PH, expect to use quite a lot of energy getting it warm! If I do cross-town trips, about 6 to 8 miles total, using Max heating 23C & haven't preheated, then I only get about 2 to 2.5 miles per kWh used, equating to 21-26 miles range. Even if I preheat, use Eco heating (just runs the fan slower, it's believed), I struggle to get over 30 miles range in these temperatures around 10C. 35 miles is pretty typical, and 40 would be a dream! In summer I manage 45 quite happily.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy,

Thx for your reply.
What do you think about the fuel consumption? I've found quite high. My previous 2.7l diesel Merc had better mpg this time around.

Thx.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Consumption on short trips, especially in winter, is likely to be poor. In summer, the most I got was a test-drive 60 miles M3 (pretty flat on the whole) slipstreaming a lorry, using petrol the whole way as a test, & I got 60 mpg.
Doing a genuine 70 on long trips in summer I get 40 mpg petrol-only. Gentle driving at genuine 60, cruising past lorries as I come to them, I'll get 45 mpg, maybe a tiny bit more, but it's hard for me to get 50. I'm on Vredestein Ultrac Satin tyres, which I reckon cost me about 2-3 mpg, but are very grippy compared to the Michelin originals. I run 40 psi all round to try to maximise mpgs.

I have also managed 60 miles electrically with zero petrol used, this was Southam to Silverstone cross-country & back in the afternoon, empty narrow country roads fairly up-and-down, rarely exceeding 40 mph at bottom of dips, and crawling over the tops of the rises at 25-30, & pulling over onto the side on 1/2 a dozen times whan a tractor/van came up behind me. Done purely to see if it was possible!

I do a 100 mile trip Winchester to Southam pretty regularly, A34/M40 & A43 Banbury-Southam which is 50 mph. In summer, driving v carefully at lorry speeds & cruising behing a suitable large HGV to shield some of the wind loss, I can just-about do the trip on exactly 1 gallon of petrol, so that's probably 50 mpg + 50 miles leccy, or maybe 55 mpg + 45 miles leccy. That's as good as it gets for me, car reports 100 mpg. In winter the same trip, same speeds will cost me anything up to 1.5 gallons petrol.

I'm on my own for these trips, so in winter I'll be heating the cabin up a bit while running petrol for 5-10 miles, then switch to electric & turn heating off, to maximise my battery power going to the wheels, not the heater. I use Mountain Mode for part of this trip, and that switches between petrol & leccy automatically. I can see that changeover on the pretty picture showing energy flow, regen, engine lighting up etc, and when the Ice fires up, time for fan on & heat the car. After a few miles, MM will have filled the battery buffer of 0.4 kWh & the Ice then shuts off for a few miles, time for fan off (= heating off). The last 15-18 miles when I'm on pure leccy, back on Normal, running down the 1/3 battery that MM kept in reserve, gets a bit cold as I'm loath to turn the heating on!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. At least I know there is nothing wrong with. Funny, I could do easily 50-55mpg with my Merc, and went properly, once achieved 65mpg on a very-very long trip where mostly couldn't go more than 60mph. But I see now I wouldn't get any close these with this. Hm. Though, 95% just commuting 10-15miles/day, and using only electric mode, I still beat the Merc. Hehe...

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
BTW, I have a 2012 one with the 16kWh battery.
All Ampera have the same battery - 16.5KWh, which as you note is 10.x kWh actual. (Early Volt model had the 16kWh battery which is 9.x actual)

The Ampera is best if your most of your driving is mainly shorter journeys, but in CS mode (using petrol) I would often get 45MPG on a longer journey. The lifetime of my second one was 200MPG when I sold, but my daily commute of 48 miles was almost all battery.

There are many threads about achieving good economy. One tip is in colder weather to do 2 x preheating in the morning, so be good if you can get working. For this you do also need a charging point - the 10A granny doesn't provide enough power to achieve properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.
I've read that the later models have got 20kWh battery, haven't they? But that does not really matters anymore, does it? 😃

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That could be the mk1, never made it to Europe, we have the mk1in the my2012 and MY013 varients, there are a very few ,6?, my2014 about in the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts