Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, im new to the forum.

Ive never owned an EV although I am keen to pick one up. Due to an unexpected im thinking of expediting the process!

Ive come across a 2016 30kwh Leaf for sale. Its on 92k miles. Its been through mots since february 2017 and the mileage, while high, appears consistent. Its advertised for £7k which is obviously pretty low for the 30kwh model.

Is this an unwise purchase? Ive been told the SOH is 85% but havent done much digging yet. Is there anything to watch out for with higher mileage examples? I wouldn't be looking to get anything with really low mileage but wondering if this is best to be avoided.

For what its worth, my commute is 17 miles each way, almost exclusively motorway and I do have off road parking.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
That's a good price. Don't get too hung up over the SoH figure as these vary up and down depending on recent usage and charging. Do you know the Hx figure which is more consistent? Also the LEAF30 had a change in their BMS firmware which results in a higher figure, so you need to know whether it includes that or not.

Even with the reduced capacity it should be good for at least 80 miles at motorway speeds so your commute is entirely practical.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Shane- Welcome to the ev forum. I bought a 2016 30kw last year for £16000. It had 10,000 on the clock and was pretty immaculate. Also Tekna and 7kw onboard charger. I got a good price for my beautiful VW Eos on trade-in and they paid over £2500 for my home charger install.

£7000 is a pretty good price even for a high mileage vehicle. You will need to check if all the services have been done, things like having the brake fluid changed and cabin filters tend to be overlooked. The shock absorbers and suspension as well as more obvious stuff like tyres. Has it been in an accident, is it straight, do the doors fit correctly and check the tailgate channels for detritus and mould, a sure sign of past neglect. The top struts under the bonnet scuttle have perforated plastic covers remove them and see how much water is sitting in the top strut locations and how rusty are the nuts and bolts there. There is a thread on here dealing with this issue, do a search on "top struts". Have a look at the bottom of the windscreen, check for cracks in the corners. If you do a lot of night driving, you may want to change the headlights, check on here for those threads.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment, enough to be going on with for now!

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the swift replies! Ive asked a few more questions re the cars history. Im told it has full service history but waiting to hear back on any recent maintenance.

I'll get it HPI checked before committing to anything but definitely some food for thought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
They're tough little cars, we bought our 2014 ex- taxi leaf 24 two years ago with a little over 100k recorded ! It's now on 123k and still works just fine as a school run and supermarket donkey.
It is down two bars now but I dont know the true SOH as I simply cant be bothered to find out ;)

As for repairs - track rod ends, front pads, and just put new lower front suspension arms on it a week ago ( £60 the pair )
The 'EV bits ' have been pretty much maintenance free, though I did change the gear oil soon after we bought it.

So it's really only the inevitable battery capacity loss that's the main concern with these cars in my opinion, and with the 30 you've got a far better chance of it remaining a useable vehicle for a good few years yet :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I sold my 24 with 98k. Never missed a beat. No creaks or rattles and still drove like a new car.
Range was down 8-10% on new and that mattered on my commute or I would have kept it.
Only signs of wear were a shiny bit on the door where I rest my arm and the silver paint wore through on the cruise control switch.
Even the seats looked new.

·
Registered
90 Posts
They're tough little cars, we bought our 2014 ex- taxi leaf 24 two years ago with a little over 100k recorded ! It's now on 123k and still works just fine as a school run and supermarket donkey.
It is down two bars now but I dont know the true SOH as I simply cant be bothered to find out ;)

As for repairs - track rod ends, front pads, and just put new lower front suspension arms on it a week ago ( £60 the pair )
The 'EV bits ' have been pretty much maintenance free, though I did change the gear oil soon after we bought it.

So it's really only the inevitable battery capacity loss that's the main concern with these cars in my opinion, and with the 30 you've got a far better chance of it remaining a useable vehicle for a good few years yet :)
A refreshing attitude. You don’t put a boroscope into a petrol engine and measure the wear so why nerd about numbers on a battery.
It is what it is. People should follow your example.

It is interesting that you had to replace some generic car bits but I guess a taxi is a harder life than my 98k which were mostly motorway. Still shows how good these cars are as not much has gone wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts