Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm new here. Getting a ZS EV delivered in a couple of weeks on a short lease but depending on how it goes i may look to buy a used one later this year.

I was wondering who has covered the most amount of miles in their ZS EV, any taxi drivers on here? I do a lot of miles and would be Interested to know if there are any common issues have arisen eg certain parts failing etc?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I’m not sure if anyone Ubers their ZSEV, but I reckon in a year or so you’ll have plenty of people in that profession to talk about the MG5 with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen plenty of VS EV Uber drivers around London. I'm guessing the MG5 is probably better suited range-wise, haven't spotted any of them yet though.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,438 Posts
At least 2 ZS EV owner taxi drivers over on the FB group. They have racked up big miles for a 1 year old car. I think the highest is over 30k already. I believe with zero issues, and racking up nearly 200miles a charge in London traffic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the helpful reply, good to hear that there havent been any major issues and 200 miles is v impressive!

Didnt know about the fb group, will check it out. Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,215 Posts
MG Electric Vehicle Owners Club is the group @Sandy is referring to run by James Coates of James & Kate fame on YouTube.

Reactions: Sandy and Paul M

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
One of the taxi drivers was on 51k miles as of last week.

Another has a "Friday car" with a load of bits and bobs gone wrong but has still managed about 40k miles so far, though he isn't impressed with the build of his car.

Other than software fudgery (which was catastrophic for some of those affected by the BMS cockware or the HV fuse issue - both of which appear resolved) the other reported problems have been relatively minor (steering column knock, windscreen surround can creak especially when very cold, door handles prone to sticking so need some lube, few infotainment glitches/reboots).

Don't think I have seen any issue with the drivetrain, and only a couple of crap battery packs (there's 6000 members on the Facebook page). The better MG dealerships seem to be increasingly capable of sorting out the problems that do arise.

Mine's on just under 17k miles and has recovered largely from the BMS debacle other than having lost about 2.5kWh usable (to around 39) since they dropped the battery pack voltage.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,438 Posts
MG Electric Vehicle Owners Club is the group @Sandy is referring to run by James Coates of James & Kate fame on YouTube.
I forget there is a lot of pop up groups for either ZS only, or 5 only, or just competitor groups. (y) The James and Kate one is the one I recommend, lots of good info and a lot of dev work posted for OVMS too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd take that 200 miles claim as just about the maximum possible in absolute ideal conditions. Conversely, 100 miles is sometimes just about the limit when driving fast in the cold. If you're regularly driving over 120 miles in a day then the MG5 (or various other, more expensive options) might be better.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I'd take that 200 miles claim as just about the maximum possible in absolute ideal conditions. Conversely, 100 miles is sometimes just about the limit when driving fast in the cold. If you're regularly driving over 120 miles in a day then the MG5 (or various other, more expensive options) might be better.
100 miles (~2.5mpkWh) is fast (legal!) motorway speeds in horrible winter conditions

My mix of driving is ~3.0avg in winter (120 miles), ~3.6 just now (140 miles) and was getting ~4.0 in mid summer (160 miles).

An urban tax driver will be seeing 200 in summer.

The car has liquid cooling so really doesn't like very cold starts followed by a short, fast run. I would hope a taxi driver would do slightly better than me in winter as the car would never fully cool down after the start of the day.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV #teamwhite
31 Posts
Hi All,

I'm new here. Getting a ZS EV delivered in a couple of weeks on a short lease but depending on how it goes i may look to buy a used one later this year.
Do you mind me asking where you're getting a "short lease" from?

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I've seen plenty of VS EV Uber drivers around London. I'm guessing the MG5 is probably better suited range-wise, haven't spotted any of them yet though.
Plenty of both in London now.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
32,978 Posts
Hi All,

I was wondering who has covered the most amount of miles in their ZS EV, any taxi drivers on here? I do a lot of miles and would be Interested to know if there are any common issues have arisen eg certain parts failing etc?

Thanks

J
Due to small sample size, you will get an unrepresentative reply, if someone has had no problems it'll look great and if there is a problem then, oh dear.

Basically, generically speaking, BEVs will not 'wear' like ICE for high mileage rates. They degrade more over time. So whereas a 20 year old 50k ICE might look like a reasonable proposition with a regular gentle few k miles a year, I wouldn't touch the same with a barge pole in BEV. Flipwise, a 3 year old 60k BEV will very likely be as good as it was new (nothwithstanding cosmetic wear) while you will need to look at a 3 yr 60k ICE for all it needed, timing belts, oil changes, etc..

In other words, you are probably better off with doing megamiles in a new BEV than a new ICE, whatever the make or model. In fact, a BEV with a good chunk of miles under its belt only goes to prove it works reliably and not spent months in the garage ('months' being the usual duration of BEVs with major problems spent in a garage).

·
Zoe Devotee
9,438 Posts
BEV with a good chunk of miles under its belt only goes to prove it works reliably and not spent months in the garage
On the flip side I found it hard to get a fair price for my Zoe, it had 57k in 5 years and the common theme to comments was "quite high mileage, less miles would get more money". Lowest mileage car I've ever sold on, hardest to get a fair buck.

But like you if I see a 5 year old Zoe with 15k miles for sale I automatically wonder how many days/weeks has that sat at high SOC.

Reactions: donald
1 - 16 of 16 Posts